1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A fair amount of taxes

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Jun 10, 2010.

?
  1. No more than 5 %

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  2. No more than 10 %

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. No more than 15 %

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. No more than 25 %

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. No more than 30 %

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  6. No more than 45 %

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. No more than 50 %

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  8. The current tax table should remain (more income - more tax %)

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  9. All should pay the same tax rate

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  10. Other answer

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For a newspaper, sure, but who carries more that $50 dollars around. You purchase a car for 15 grand, a stock broker buys $200,000 worth of stock, employers all pay in checks.....

Even if you spend $100 to buy 5 tickets to see the Yankees - that would only be saving 50 cents - for that small amount, I would use my credit card. (I realize this is a fictitious story - I would never go to a Yankees game)

all that would add up

#21 Salty, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2011
  2. billwald

billwald New Member

>I say everyone should pay the same tax rate on all electronic transactions - and do away with all other taxes - period. That tax rate should not exceede 1/2 of 1 %

Nice to agree with Salty every year or so. .5% might be a little low. Paper cash should be eliminated. I suggest eliminating pennies and have coins up to $25 value. Enough to buy lunch but to small a value to bribe a senator without using a hand truck.

But then we should also have a healthy death tax, say the first 50 million exempt and then a 50% tax over that.

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really like the idea of a consumption tax but I seriously doubt it could raise enough money to fund the government. (Hey, that might not be too bad of an idea in and of itself...)

The transition over to this system would be quite shocking. Imagine paying a $10,000 tax on a new vehicle. Consider the psychological implications of adding 25% to 30% onto all prices in the stores. People might be reluctant to buy big ticket items and hold out as long as they could. Recessions would be long and deep because when people don't spend money no tax is collected.

It would put the burden of all tax collections on retail establishments.

It would be the biggest tax cut in history for the wealthy.

The barter system would become a major industry.

Also, the percentage tax you pay on purchases could just continue to rise as Congress saw fit until you reach a point where people would simply stop spending, except on the exempted essential items.

I like the idea in theory, but it presents a whole new batch of problems.

#23 InTheLight, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2011
  4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats one reason I dont like the consumption tax.

Rathere the Electronic tax would tax all transaction - ie stock - atm, ect - but with so much being transaction - you could have an ultra low rate.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    None. Income tax is immoral. And it's NOT off topic.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The real problme is excessive spending thus
    "requiring" excesive taxes

Its not necessairly off topic - but would you agree that we need some kind of tax - if not income that what kind.

7. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The idea of a flat tax is appealing on one level, but is actually a regressive tax on the poor and lower income. Let's say we have a 20% flat tax. The poor and lower income folk can least afford such a tax.

Taxes will never go away and a progressive tax is fairer than a flat tax.

Someone mentioned pork. Yes, much could be cut out, but politics come into what is cut. For instance is the GOP really willing to cut pork from the red states? Just asking primarily because the agriculture subsidies are aimed almost exclusive to pay agri-business and not the small farmer.

#27 Crabtownboy, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2011
  8. targus

targus New Member

#28 targus, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2011
  9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, I want to know:

Why does a government who can print money at will (for which we would go to jail)
    need to take ANY from "we the people"?

HankD

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am NOT for the 20% flat tax / consumption- one for the reason you mentioned - also - they would send you a pre-bate - to = the amount of taxes you would reasonably spend. But that would just be more government red tape. On the side of the Flat tax - if that did happen and ALL other taxes were dismissed - than a company could lower the prices as part of the amount is "hidden" taxes.
    Thus the electronic tax is the best - you sell 1,000 shares of GM at $100 per share - you pay tax on $100,000. Currently all transactions such as that are tax free.

And Crab - I fully agree with you about farm subsidies - they should end.

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, spinning the issue aside, I'll answer my own question.

Money that is printed with nothing of intrinsic value to back it up (fiat money with imputed value) is in reality a kind of governmental loan that ultimately has to be repaid by someone e.g. the taxpayer and their descendants, or there will be the weakening of the currency's face value, inflation, failure and collapse of the monetary system.

HankD

12. billwald

billwald New Member

Money is backed with the full faith and credit of the USofA. If you don't trust the USofA then why are you hanging around?

90% of the US money in circulation is electronic transfer, numbers on the books. You all should be praying for the bank's back-up storage.

Why does money have to be associated with some kind of relatively useless metal mostly good for jewelry and capping bad teeth?

Did you, any of you, ever work on a job where you accumulated sick leave and vacation time? Did any of you ever lose sleep because your sick leave wasn't backed by gold? If not, why not?