1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Father's Love

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by queenbee, Jul 23, 2008.

1. queenbee

queenbee Member

A dear friend sent me this. It's a true story. Hope you enjoy!

The son asked his father, 'Dad, will you take part in a marathon with me?'. The father who, despite having a heart condition, said 'Yes'. They went on to complete the marathon together. Father and son then went on to compete in other marathons, the father always saying 'Yes' to his son's request of going through the race together. One day, the son asked his father, 'Dad, let's join the Ironman together', to which, his father said 'Yes' too.

For those who don't know, the Ironman is the toughest triathlon ever. The race encompasses three endurance events; a 2.4 mile (3.86 kilometer) ocean swim, followed by a 112 mile (180.2 kilometer) bike ride, and ending with a 26.2 mile (42.195 kilometer) marathon along the coast of the Big Island. Father and son went on to complete the race together.

NOW WATCH THE VIDEO:

http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=8cf08faca5dd9ea45513

2. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

I saw this video a long time ago... It is a VERY touching video for sure. I'm not convinced about the story behind it simply because I'm not sure where it originated, but nonetheless THAT is what love between a father and son is all about.

3. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Not having had a loving father but a cruel, hateful man I called dad, I have never believed in a father's love. Maybe he was better than nothing, but I can't help but wonder what my life would have been like had he died when I was young. Of course, my mother might have married someone even worse.

4. standingfirminChrist

#4 standingfirminChrist, Jul 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  5. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

Thanks for the snopes link. I always try to confirm stories like this with Snopes, but since I didn't know their names I didn't know how to look it up. Wow... what a wonderful story indeed.

6. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, maybe I'm the proverbial "rain on your parade " guy, but I see another aspect to this admittedly inspiring story.

If the dad had heart problems, I question his common sense in doing something, for his son, that could possibly prove fatal for himself----thereby leaving his son fatherless.

And, assuming the son was aware of his dad's condition, it seems extremely self-centered for him to ask his dad to do something that could have proved fatal.

Don't misunderstand, this was a wonderful path for the dad to take if it had been to save his son's life, or a healing, or some such, but not just because the son wanted to experience the competition, or feel the air blowing in his face, or something else as short-lived.

OK all you feel-gooders -- start the mud throwing!!

7. standingfirminChrist

8. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

The only thing overly missing in their story is I have never heard them say a single thing about God or their faith. Other's have put their story to Christian music, but they themselves haven't said anything. I didn't see anything on their website either. Not anything to judge them on, but if they are Christians they are missing a wonderful opportunity to spread God's love and gospel.