1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Fellow I Know

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by richardwharvey, Jul 28, 2003.

1. I was working with a young gentleman, that I hired to work with me in the financial services industry. After about a year of struggling he found a local Independent Fundamental Baptist church and joined. He immediately felt relieved of the pressure, as he said, I can leave everything in God's hands and stop worrying about my work. He became very involved with the church, so involved that he would work at the church some days, fixing things, help building contruction projects, etc. After a couple more months, he was invited by his pastor to go to a week long session at a big church somewhere in I think in tenn maybe. It was some kind of "see if you are called to be a precher week" and he came back from this trip ready to be a preacher. Never wanting to be critical of someone who says they are called to be a preacher, I was supportive of his plan. He had a Soul Winners Bible(It was printed on the front) and it had a place in the back to list all of the Soul's Won. We sat down several weeks later so he could share he thoughts with me. He told me how the KJV of the bible was the only one he was allowed to read(He carried it with him everywhere), now he wasn't sure why he could only use the KJV, just that that was the rules. He told me that he and his wife had to sign a list of rules that they had to follow from now on. His wife who was a aerobics instructor must now only wear a dress to work. I don't know how that is going to work out! He also had to stop listening to the radio when we went on appointments together. Couldn't go to the movie theatre to see anything, buy tv and watching the same movies on dvd was ok. He really loved country music, especially Brad Paisely, a new young country singer, but wasn't allowed to listen to him anymore. Of course, no alchohol of any kind and he wasn't allowed to socialize with people, even existing friends, who were not like minded and attended his church. His church did not accept his current bachelor's degree to continue on to taking the necessary scholling to be a preacher, so he has to go back to get another four year degree first.

Well we got to talking, and although my knowledge is very poor on these matters, especially when we had the conversation, (I have since then became a voracious reader on some of these topics) I started asking him about the need for some of these rules. He wasn't really sure of all of the reasons for the rules, but he was very sure what the rules were. Something just didn't seem to sit right with all of this??? Didn't Jesus sit with the prostitutes(or something like that) to reach them, when at the time the other religious leaders would have never done so? Am I missing the point? Wasn't alot of Jesus teaches about not missing the big picture because of some silly rules or regulation? Didn't he say it's not what goes in your mouth that makes you unclean? So anyway, I got to thinking about God again for the first time in a long time, staring going to church again, watching Joel Osteen on TV on Sundays and reading my Bibles and other religious commentaries. Being a computer nut, I thought, well, maybe I should read about different bible translations on the internet, and get up to speed. So I wen't to Zondervan and read about the NIV, and about a new one coming called the TNIV. That's sounded good, so I continued my reasearch and BAM. The TNIV was getting landblasted left and right. I thought wow. So I bought 3 or 4 different books about bible translations and continued my web surfing and came across all of these KJO web sites. I even saw one with a cartoon of a NIV bible and a picture of the bible. I couldn't believe it. Something about this definately didn't jive with what I was learning about in my New Testament readings. Lots of vinegar and vile that's for sure. But I pushed on and finally decided that what made sense was a literal modern translations(long story), so I picked the ESV. Bought a bible, good to go. The I stumbled on this forum here. It was huge, and I thought boy this is great, lots of like minded people that I can learn more from reading and interacting. And they are all baptist. Well I start reading, and I am a little puzzled. Feet washing, alcohol's a sin, women can't wear pant's, your not saved if you didn't use the KJV, you can be unsaved, can't eat meat unless it's well done, can't be a female preacher, is trimming nose hair a sin, is shaving your legs a sin?

I'm a little lost about what to think. I mean, I know that you guys already understand the big picture about Jesus and how to be saved, and that you are just fellowshipping by intellectually discussing the finer points. But from the outside looking in and reading the posts on this forum, it sure doesn't seem like the good news that I read in the New Testament. I mean, the Jesus that I read about in my bible(albeit not the handed down direct from God KJV) wouldn't love me any less or be dissappointed if I drank one beer(which I don't). I'm pretty sure as I try to lead my wife to learn about God, that he'd be ok if she wore bluejeans to church as well. Just to pick one example, I'm pretty sure that I could read the NIV, drink one beer everyday and my wife and I wear bluejeans to church every sunday, and as long as we earnest seek Jesus we'll be ok. Am I wrong? AM I WRONG? We''l if that is the case, why all the moaning about all these things? Shouldn't we instead use all of this wasted energy sharing Jesus with people who don't already know him? I really enjoy spending time reading the posts on this forum, because I do learn some things from so of the posts, but I can't help but wonder if reading all of the other stuff isn't more destructive than good. Do you know there are 168 messages in just one post on "Is braiding your hair and wearing jewelry ok"? Does that make sense to all of you or am I just a nut? Did Jesus every make a proactive statement about jewelry and hair braiding? Or was he too busy focusing on the big stuff?

I called my wife's aunt today, a very strong christian who reads her Bible everyday. She is a pentacostal holliness and I inquired which Bible she used. She said the KJV. I asked her why, she said that she wasn't familiar with any others. I asked her didn't she find it difficult to understand with all of the Old English wording? She proudly exclaimed that if she faithfully studied her Bible that God would reveal what the scriptures meant. So if she is faithfull in her walk with God, he will overcome the 400 year old language differences, so she can understand the words that would have been crystal clear to the all people in Jesus time who were hearing them. Is this what it we make it all about. A good christian, God fearing, loving, Bible believing, Jesus is the most important thing in this woman's life - feels that she has to study a Bible translated over 400 years ago, in a vesion of English, common for the time, but uncommon now, and hope she is led to understand what it even says. Even the people alive during Jesus time didn't have to jump through those hoops. Jesus spoke plain and clear.

I leave you with one more thought, I just read in another post,

The Clothing worn must meet the test of separation from the world.

I'm not sure that I can do that. Heck I'm not sure I even know what that means. I wear nice clothes, don't have alot of money, pretty much what my wife buys me at Walmart. And I always zip my zipper when leaving the restroom. Is that enough? Are there special christian clothes? Do I need to reasearch the companies that I buy clothes from?

I WAN'T TO BE A PART OF THE WORLD I'VE READ ABOUT IN MY NEW BIBLE. ABOUT THE JESUS THAT I'VE READ ABOUT. I DON'T WANT TO BE A PART OF THE NONSENSE.

Thanks for reading my post.

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Simple Simon!! Buddy, I'm gonna call you my new Baptist Board friend!!!

All the stuff that you just wrote about--the KJV only, skirt wearin', no hair touchin' the collar for the guys, etc.---sometimes its all a part of the rules you see a lot in the fundamental circles.

Personally, I preach and study from the KJV--Scofield and Zodhiates study Bibles--not because its a rule set by the Lord Jesus--but personally I prefer the KJV because of the rich English wording. More words there to challenge the mind to study and see why that word is there! God Almighty ain't gonna strike me with lightning if I happen to be reading some particular day from my New American Standard--now, I can get struck by lightning by foolishly exposing myself to a violent thunderstorm--but not by exposing myself to and reading another translation! See what I mean??

As far as women wearing skirts--no rule that says you can or can't in the word. Women can dress modestly as to please the mind of Christ.(Personally as a pastor I would draw a line somewhere--something like--no "Daisy Duke" shorts or dress--you get the drift??!! If your wife wants to wear skirts to church on Sunday mornin' and then switch to bluejeans at nite--hey, tell her to go ahead!

But all in all--I see what you are sayin'--hang in there with us--keep comin' to the Baptist Board--keep writin' what you have on your heart--the right "board" buddies will come along--they'll step forward and be your friend--no matter if you read the KJ only--or if your wife wears jeans or skirts or if you have a go-tee beard--or what--they'll be your friend for who you are not by what you read or wear!!

Your Southern Baptist preachin' buddy,
    Blackbird

3. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

I would strongly suggest that you visit a variety of churches. Not all of them are as legalistic as the one that you are mentioning. There are quite a few other Baptist, Bible-believing churches who use the NIV, who allow women to wear shorts, and who are truly experiencing God, using contemporary music and life-applicable teachings! God will undoubtedly bless you in your journey!

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What sounds sad is that your friend apparently found one of the IFB churches that puts more emphasis on outward appearance than inward change.

I could go through your post point-for-point, Simple Simon, but let me just address this: Yes, Jesus sat with the prostitutes and the sinners.

But did He behave and act like them?

5. LauraB

LauraB New Member

I think you got the wrong idea of IFB. I am one and I firmly believe in what I am taught.

We do socialize with friends who are not saved, naturally we try to witness to them but my friends I will keep no matter what. I do not judge anyone, it is not my place to do so. I see all as humans.

Women are suppose to wear dresses and skirts. I wear dresses and skirts to church, but I wear pants in my everyday life. I don't wear shorts outside the home or tank tops because it is inapropriate. But I wear capris and tees.

Women are not to be preachers. It just is not biblical. Men are to preach.

Yes, radio and tv are a means of the devil to draw you in. That is why you have to choose wisely what you and your family watch. Or listen to. You do not have to give it up altogether.

KJV is the truest form of Gods word. Other bibles are a perversion of His word. Other bibles leave things out for convienence sake. Left out because maybe it offended someone. Gods word is Gods word. ALL of it. That is why we use KJVO. If you would like literature on the subject I would be happy to get it to you.
    I don't know why is telling your friend all of these things, but he may also be distorting what he hears. It is very easy to take something out of context.

No matter why, ONCE SAVED, ALWAYS SAVED! You can not be "UNSAVED". You can be backslidden, but not unsaved.

If I can be any assistance to you at all in helping you or your friend to understand any of the points you mentioned you can PM me and I will be more than glad to help. [​IMG]

6. Xingyi Warrior

Xingyi Warrior New Member

Sounds like your friend's church could be demonstrating some very cultic behavior. I've found that few denominations are immune to this. In the baptist circles they sometimes are repesented by the extreme fundamentalists. Now take into account that if these churches stipulate these rules as requirements for their order then by subscribing to that order you should obey them. They also should not have a problem if you wish to leave or they shouldn't judge everyones walk with the Lord according to their own requirements that they have set for themselves. I've found that few Baptist churches fit the definition of a cult however. Most of what I've seen has been with Charismatic circles and "discipleship" or "mentoring". Thats all about control and a person should run away quickly from anything like that.

7. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Please tell your friend to get as far away from this church you describe as he can. They are obviously very cultic. Also ignore anyone who says that the KJV is the only bible in English, such as Laura B. This belief is simply inconsistent with what the Bible teaches. Also, don't listen to this trash about women having to wear dresses or skirts. Again, this is not biblical.

You seem to already have a better understanding of what Jesus actually taught and expects than many here on this board who have been here for months, if not years.

Beware of many legalistic cults that try to pass themselves off as Churches.

8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And now, Terry, utilize that "better understanding" and apologize to Linda B, that she might learn from your example....

Funny how the IFBer's get the label "self-righteous"....

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Simon, you're on a good line of thought, but unfortunately you just have to expect situations like you described with your friend, and posters like this LauraB character who try to reinforce completely extrabiblical beliefs. Blessings.

10. Terry_Herrington

Don,
    Let me say that I did not intend to insult anyone. I do not question Laura B's sincerity or her love for God. This issue, however, goes beyond this.

I believe that this KJVO belief is one of the most dangerous doctrines the the church faces today. It is for that reason that I am quick to speak out against it.

When I was a older teenager I was saved. Unfortunately, it was at a church much like the one described above. It has taken much of my adult life to finally get away from these Pharisees.

11. LauraB

LauraB New Member

First Of all, I am not a "character" I am a christian woman, wife and mother. And as such I will not now bow down to your level. I don't think I have said anything out of line here and was sincerely trying to help.

KVO.........IFB

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

All I can say is that fruit trees produce fruit. Where there is fruit there is life and energy.
    Jesus said in Matthew 4:19, "Follow Me and I wil make you fishers of men."

If there is no fish being caught go to a watering hole where the people know how to catch fish. Some talk about fishing and others do it and are successful. I want to be around people who are successful and God is blessing. God only blesses doers. James 1:22 says, "But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves."

13. Singleman

Singleman New Member

The matter of which Bible translation to use is obviously one of those things that each believer must decide for himself by first studying the matter, and then submitting the decision humbly to God for His direction. The Bible gives no command on the subject of translation; thus no Christian has a right to make edicts concerning which version others should use. They may do it anyway, but we can safely ignore them, which I do.

14. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

tell me what is un-biblical about lauraBs statements? she has explained it well and her opinion is very good. I use KJV only because the arguments are very good toward other translations. I want Gods pure Word with nothing left out dont you? modest dress is biblical that is why laura explained it. wearing a dress vs. jeans is a personal decision not really a biblical issue. if someone claims that wearing a dress is ok and jeans are a sin or immodest then they have a weak biblical case.

15. Terry_Herrington

Massdak said,
    "tell me what is un-biblical about lauraBs statements?"

KJVonlyism is not Scriptural. If you think it is you are wrong. Period. Does that answer your question?