A few last words about a tired subject

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thinkingstuff, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff
    Expand Collapse

As DHK closed the thread before I could respond I would like to clarify a few things regarding Ignatius letter to the Magnesians. First It is widely accepted as being authentic. It is not one of the Psuedo-Ignatian letters. Since, the arguments of the reformation we now have Ignatius letters in several collections in several different translations which are copies of older letters going back to the original therefore interpolation is not used in determining what Ignatius said in his letter. It may have been so during the reformation. But as I said discoveries have been made so that it is no longer necessary. One just has to read it. And upon reading it we find that Ignatius provides a clear, easily read, and understood reasoning why Christians chose to worship on Sunday rather than the Sabbath. As he says:
    Ignatius is not misquoted here as you attempt to show. Therefore we can see that as early as the Apostolic era Christians began the custom of worshiping on Sunday. You can't get any clearer than that.

2. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff
    Expand Collapse

Now regarding Ignatius. His letters aren't scripture. But he is a reliable witness of the practice of Christians in the early Church. I only used him to show that the practice of worship started very early in the Church and I stated most likely during the Apostolic era. Now, I will quote scripture which supports it was an Apostolic origin that worship should be on the first day of the week.