1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A few questions about the jews

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Jun 15, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Hi!
    I listened to a sermon about the orthodox jews of our times. I guess these are the jews which wear hats and black clothes and have this strange curly hair. I always thought that as a christian you have to like these people because they are jews, but the pastor said that these orthodox jews are basically the same as the pharisees of Jesus' time. They seem to be very arrogant and don't like christians at all and sing and pray only to get attention. If this is true then what kind of attitude are we supposed to have towards them? I mean did Jesus love the pharisees? After all he said that their father is the devil.

And another thing which I also ask myself is wether there is a typical jewish look. I mean if the jews are a race then is there something like the typical jew? In the third reich they used to paint a certain picture of the typical "evil" jew. They all looked the same and they all had huge, hooked noses. I thought that this is only a stupid prejudice but in fact a lot of jews look exactly like this, isn't this strange? Henry Kissinger is a jew and he looks exactly the way you imagine a "typical" jew. Does this mean that all jews look like this and have hooked noses? Hooked noses don't really look very harmonic so I ask myself why should all jews, as God's people, have such a trait? If all jews had wonderful straight noses then I could understand it that they are blessed with beauty but why should all jews have hooked noses? Do all jews have hooked noses? Or is this just a coincidence? I also have the impression that the orthodox jews also look pretty much the same but maybe this is only because of their beards and because of their hair style. :confused:

2. Mishelly

Mishelly New Member

Jesus says to Love All As You Love Yourself but to know the hypocrites

My father had a crooked nose and he was raised and raised all his children to Know the Truth of God

MATTHEW
    1 "Don't judge, so that you won't be judged.

2 For with whatever judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with whatever measure you measure, it will be measured to you.

Mat 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Does lumping people together and making assumptions show God;s Love

3. Link

Link New Member

If someone grows up in a very strict religious tradition, it does not mean that that person has the same attitude as the Pharisees.

Really orthodox Jews generally do rely heavily on the rabinnic Judaism, which has roots in the same movement the Pharisees were a part of. After the temple was destroyed, this wing of Judaism took over Judaism. The priestly/Levite portion lost power and influence.

Those curly hair things are there because of the commandment in the OT not to shave the corners of your beard. I know a Christian Messianic Jew who has them. So we shouldn't judge people for obeying this commandment in the OT.

4. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Why does the OT say not to shave the corners of our beard? What does this even mean? Does this mean Jesus also had these curls?

Does this mean that it's better to be very liberal when it comes to other people which sin because if you don't say anything against their sin then God will also be more liberal dealing with your sin?
    Does this mean that being a liberal parent is better than being a strict parent?

5. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Let the orthodox Jew speak for himself. Your scripture reference is very straight-forward. Let me put it this way. I know a guy who is a bouncer in a beer joint. Beer joints in the USA in no way resemble the pubs in Europe. You don't want to hang out in the former. Anyway, when he first took the job he got right in people's faces, telling them what he was going to do to them if they didn't stay cool. One day the boss called him over to tell him that if he kept that up, some night one or more of those guys is going to rip him apart in the joint, or wait for him outside. Either way, it wouldn't be pretty. Let a word to the wise be sufficient: He backed off.

With what measure you judge, you'll be judged.

Now he has friends in the place who like him. They sit on their cars after the place closes to "visit" with him. :type: