1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A few questions for Mormons (LDS).

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by UncleRay, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Fatherof4

Fatherof4 Guest

Hello to all:

I have had last night to think it over, and to discuss my time on this baord with my wife. We are in agreement that it is just getting way too involved. I probably spent 4 hours yesterday, going through and answering posts.

I am going to have to take my leave. I hope that you all understand. I will probably take some heat after I go that "Mormons just turn and run" or something to that effect. Truth is, I just don't see anything productive happening on either side, and my time is too valuable to continue without any headway.

What have I learned from this experience? Well, I have learned that there ARE LDS and Baptists that can converse in a friendly way...there are others who cannot.

I have learned that some will continue to impose their standards of what someone elses doctrine is...regardless of the truth. I have learned that I am completely inadequate when it comes to attempting to describe what I know.

I appreciate you who have been kind in your remarks, while still disagreeing with me. In the end, I beleive that God would still have us love one another. So it is. I pray God's blessings on all of you. May you realize everything that you desire, and more.

Your friend,

Don

2. Will

Will New Member

Don,

One thing to leave you with. You continuously in this thread showed outrage that we could pretend to know Mormon doctrines, however if you notice we never were outraged that you acted as if you knew our doctrines. We accept and want outsiders to know our doctrines.

That's because of a simple reason. If you want to come to our sanctuaries and worship to hear the good news you are welcome. Anyone can learn our doctrines and practices. In fact if you are ever in St. Louis you are welcome to my Church.

Are we likewise invited into your temple for worship service? Are we invited into your temple at all?

Here in St. Louis, non-Mormons are not. Are they anywhere?

One of the signs of a cult is that the (cult) group has secret knowledge not available to the general public. Is that the case for Mormons? Think about it.

I pray you break free and find a saving knowledge in Christ.

3. Alex

Alex New Member

Well Don, hate to see you go,(run.. :D ), but it's your ball game. I thought we had a thing going with your response about Jesus. However, I/you know there is very little in the Bible that would even give a hint as to future prophets and all you have left to debate with is the Book of Mormon. I hope you and the other 10 million Mormons wake up before it is too late.

The very sure thing about the Bible is that we are saved by Jesus and DO NOT need any other "vision" about a new ball game supposedly by God. God's Word is in the NT and the OT......period!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

Hope to see you back on when you think about "spreading the Mormon word". :confused:

God Bless.............Alex

[ June 29, 2002, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Alex ]

4. ResIpsaLoquitur

ResIpsaLoquitur New Member

Mormons get a large percentage of their converts from the baptist faith as Baptists (the majority that attend church but don't study the Bible) don't know what they believe. I have mormon relatives , you guessed it, converted from the baptist faith and my ex-sister in law is in it big time to this day. Of course, she raised their children in it and both children married in their temple in Houston. We couldn't attend either marriage ceremony as we aren't Mormons!!Yes, they have holy garments they wear to protect themselves from evil too. If you have any questions you'd like to ask me about mormons and their beliefs, I'll gladly answer the things I have learned about them.

I agree with all here that you need to read the books about this cult and arm yourselves with knowledge about what they believe. They believe that Satan and Jesus are brothers and that Adam fathered Jesus with Mary. The mormon men and women get "sealed" in their mormon temples (marriage ceremony)and the husband calls forth his wife from the dead with the Biblical name they are given in this temple ceremony.Mormon women will get to bear and continue raising children on their own planets and thus, they become their own gods. That's a simplified version of some of their beliefs. It's so sad because most people I have met that are mormon, are smart, educated, and very nice people. Unfortunately, the Jesus Christ they refer to is not the same one we know from the Bible. Therefore, if they haven't accepted Jesus Christ as their personal Saviour,no matter what or how many good works they have done, these people will go to hell when they die!!!!

Christians need to be vocal about this cult as they are leading people astray everyday.FYI, the mormon handshake and the masonite handshake are one in the same. Joesph Smith was a mason so he brought a lot of the secret things from that group into his founding of the mormon church.

5. Alex

Alex New Member

Thanks for the comments....great!! I have a thread on Mormonism and Witnessing that I would like for you to put this(edited) and to put as many more as you can to help me get a solid thread about the Mormons. I am slowly reading a book and post as I go but it is slow. Thanks!! Her is the thread URL: http://www.baptistboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=24&t=000801&p=.

God Bless..............Alex

6. Ephesians432

Ephesians432 New Member

Here are some statements made by Mormons:

The founder of Mormonism, the late Prophet Joseph Smith (1805-1844) ridiculed the Trinity, believing it to be an invention of man. Whenever he preached on God, he spoke in the plural, as is evident in one of his books of Scripture the 'Book of Abraham'. He is recorded as saying in one of his public speeches:
    "Many say there is one God; the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost are only one God. I say that is a strange God anyhow- three in one, and one in three! It is a curious organization all are crammed into one God according to Sectarianism [Christian faith]. It would be the biggest God in all the world. He would be a wonderfully big God- he would be a giant or a monster."
    Smith, Joseph F. The Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith. Salt Lake City, UT: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, 1984 ed (p.372)

"To those who are bound to defend the mass of confusion in the creeds of Christendom, the concept that the Father, Son and Holy Ghost are one God is totally incomprehensible. They are baffled by their beliefs, confused by their creeds, unconverted by the incomprehensible. Their only recourse is to glory in the mystery of godliness and to suppose there is something wonderful in worshipping a spirit nothingness that is either here nor there any more then he exists now or then. The total inability to know God becomes the most basic tenet of their religion and closes the door to that progress which leads to exaltation and Godhood."
    The Promised Messiah by Bruce R. McConkie, p 117-118

"Add all this imperfection to the uncertainty of the translation, and who, in his right mind, could, for one moment, suppose the Bible in its present form to be a perfect guide? Who knows that even one verse of the whole Bible has escaped pollution, so as to convey the same sense now that it did in the original?"
    The Bible an Insufficient Guide by Orson Pratt, p47

"And in that day Adam blessed God and was filled, and began to prophesy concerning all the families of the earth, saying; Blessed be the name of God, for because of my transgression my eyes are opened, and in this life I shall have joy, and again in the flesh I shall see God. And Eve, his wife, heard all these things and was glad, saying; Were it not for our transgression we never should have had seed, and never should have known good and evil, and the joy of our redemption, and the eternal life which God giveth unto all the obedient."
    Moses 5:10-11 Pearl of Great Price(Mormon Scripture)

"One of the most fallacious doctrines originated by Satan and propounded by man is that man is saved alone by the grace of God; that belief in Jesus Christ alone is all that is needed for salvation."
    Spencer W. Kimball The Miracle of Forgiveness, p206

"Many talk of baptism not being essential to salvation; but this kind of teaching would lay the foundation of their damnation. I have the truth, and am at the defiance of the world to contradict me, if they can."
    Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith by Joseph Fielding Smith, p361

"We talk about Christianity, but it is a perfect pack of nonsense - Myself and hundreds of the Elders around me have seen its pomp, parade and glory; and what is it? It is a sounding brass and a tinkling symbol; it is as corrupt as hell; and the Devil could not have invented a better engine to spread his work than the Christianity of the nineteenth century."
    John Taylor, 1858, Journal of Discourses Volume 6, Page 167.
    "What does the Christian world know about God? Nothing ...Why so far as the things of God are concerned, they are the veriest of fools; they know neither God nor the things of God" (Journal of Discourses 13:225).

Now because they want us to believe they are also Christians, they say that their prophets were sometimes stating their own opinions rather than the official word of God.

Mormons believe that there are three separate personages in the Godhead. If you ask them which one they worship, they avoid answering which one they worship by saying, "We pray to the Father, in Jesus' name." The truth is they don't want you to worship Jesus. Look in the New Testament. How many times was Jesus worshiped and where does God tell you that you shouldn't worship Jesus? If they were to say, "We worship the Father and Jesus," that would present a problem wouldn't it? You might ask, "Why do you worship more than one God?" Or you might ask, "So you worship the Father and Jesus, what about the Holy Spirit?" In the Book of Mormon, the Nephites worshiped Christ.

Multimom, the title of that book is Mormonisn, Mama, and Me by Thelma "Granny" Geer.

7. ormond

ormond New Member

All discussion too much opinion about LDS vs Baptist that turn OFF!!
    LDS is preisthood, Holy Ghost, current another prophet is true!
    Baptist is Jesus saved, spirit, Christian is true! LDS vs Baptist are different!
    But Mormon is NOT Christian! Mormon is Mormonism. but between no cult to full cult.
    Baptist is Christian. I love Mormon!

Amen!

Bro Rockwell Butler :cool:

8. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anyone have an interpretation?
    [​IMG]

9. Multimom

Multimom New Member

Baptist Believer:

The member named Ormond is deaf. Because of their use of American Sign Language and not Signed English, their written work tends to reflect ASL and not english. For those of you who are hearing interpreters as I am, you know what I mean.

In the deaf community ASL is the language most commonly used and in most cases bears little resemblance to English Grammer and as such is actually considered a foreign language to the National Board of Education and it can be used for a Foreign language credit in both High School and College. What Bro Ormond is trying to say is that:

Baptists are Christians and Mormons are not and it is our duty as believers to attempt to love them into the kingdom.

Ormond, let me know if I'm off here. Since I could not see you sign your answer and that to interpret I took off on a hunch.

10. ormond

ormond New Member

Three in one but most people (not saved Jesus yet) don't undertsand! or blind of god.

One in three that most people can understand!! then repent,
    then saved Jesus (or hope in soon), then turn three in one!

three in one = Heaven Father, Jesus of son and Holy Spirit are one god.

one in three = Heaven Father, Jesus teach and Holy Ghost are one god.

if ( three in one ) force to them that can't win! you lose! or murder Jesus!

Becareful, don't we against about LDS!! because Jesus Christ will mad you!

Amen!
    Bro Rockwell Butler :cool: :rolleyes:
    PS 12,000,000 LDS member (none saved Jesus yet)
    then about 100,000 LDS saved Jesus and exellent health life per year!
    that saved Jesus 10 time faster than Baptist!!

[ July 26, 2002, 03:44 AM: Message edited by: ormond ]