1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A follow up on the teen magazine(bible?)

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Jailminister, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

(Agapenews)..A seminary professor has targeted a new publication aimed at teenage girls which attempts to mix scripture and fashion tips. Revolve, a new youth-oriented Bible in magazine format, features such things as dating tips, makeup, secrets, and interviews with teenage boys. Russell Moore is an assistant professor of Christian theology at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky. In a recent MSNBC interview, he said having the message of the crucifixion and the resurrection of Christ on the same page as beauty tips calling Jesus the "foundation" of one's makeup, just tends to trivialize the gospel. Moore said when you try to mix the Bible with the values of Cosmopolitan magazine, the message communicated is that supermodels shall inherit the Earth. Nevertheless, Revolve has apparently proven so popular that the publisher is planning a similar magazine for boys featuring articles on girls, sports, music and money.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

This edition of the Bible has apparantly sold out its first printing in just a few weeks.

Praise God!!! I will be placing my order for my two daughters today.

3. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

that figures

4. Chris1984

Chris1984 New Member

I dont know why any one would want to buy that for their teen girls the girls arms are showing that has to be a sin some where in the Bible. lol

i think it is great idea and you know what on the last thread about this all these [snip] made a big deal about arms showing heavens forbid these [snip] see something that works that is not their kind of style.

[Administrator's note: please be careful to attack ISSUES and not INDIVIDUALS]

[ September 22, 2003, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob Griffin ]

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Exactly! At last, a bible that my two Christian teenage girls can use to witness to their non-Christian friends, that their non-Christian friends will actually pick up and read.

I just got off the phone with my church's bookstore, who informed me that my order will be arriving by the week's end, thus allowing me to pick up my order after church on Sunday.

6. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Those who are against it probably haven't picked it up and opened it. Here is a question and answer from the book:
    Yep, I sure don't want my kids reading that!! [​IMG]

Here's another excerpt, more of which I can imagine we wouldn't want our girls to read, right?
    There is also an activity calendar that encourages reaching out to strangers, friends, and family members.

And to top this all off, the gospel message, from Matthew to Revelation is in here! Personally, I think Revolve will get teenage girls to read the Bible, and I think that it will have an extremely positive impact on young girls' willingness to share their faith.

7. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

I think the magizine is a marvellous way to reach young teens and show values, that are few and inbetween in this world.

I saw on the news today, it also teaches young girls to pray for, and with their friends, and things like that. I heard also an addition of a boys Magizine that will be coming out as well.

$15.00 a copy. A little high.

Its sad that something that is clean, and meant to reach young teens, and teach them Christ in todays society, is going to be knocked around.

Figures.

Sherrie

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We've already had one long, bitter thread on this exact subject. Rancor, hostility and attacks.

Don't see any need for another. Starting it was not wise. Closing it is.