1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Georgetown law professor just perfectly captured the absurdity of Confederate pride

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Zaac, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Perception is the key. If you are attempting to better race relations, it helps when you can get people to believe that you are actually listening to their grievances.

Flying a flag that is synonymous with the enslavement of one of the parties does NOT present a platform upon which to talk PERIOD.

2. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

He'll give it up as soon as the next DNC smoke screen to cover the Obama administration's criminality comes out.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Funny how innocent symbols can be adopted for evil purposes.

The swastika was used by the U.S. Army's 45th division as a division insignia until the Nazi's adopted it.

The confederate flag was nothing more than a battle flag, a call to arms, until democrats began to use it as a symbol of their racist agenda.

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

As I said before perhaps. I could only find one case.

Big freaking deal that some of you are offended. Blacks were offended when some of your Christian relatives sat back and allowed slavery to continue. Blacks were offended when some of your Christian relatives allowed Jim Crow to go on.

Blacks are offended at being told that unarmed black men are getting what they deserve after being murdered by police officers as Christians nod in affirmation.

Blacks are offended at being told that Blacks are more likely to commit certain crimes which is a statistical impossibility.

Blacks are offended at being called thugs and told that they are more violent than everybody else.

Blacks are offended at being told that we live in a post racial society.

Blacks are offended by stop and frisk.

So please be offended. Now you got a glimpse of what Black people deal with every day.

So after 246 years of legal slavery in the United States up to 1865, another nearly 100 up to the "end of Jim Crow in 1965 and another 30 or 40 years of systemically incarcerating black males back into the new slavery, and police officers murdering unarmed Blacks left and right while the so-called followers of Christ ( just as they did during slavery and Jim Crow, nod their heads as though nothing is wrong), and when young white men have been indoctrinated to believe that Blacks are raping their women, and folks make comments like the one you just made, you wonder why the race war goes on in the minds of some people? [​IMG]

Yes white people would have Black people to give up just like the pharaoh wanted Moses to give up. Just like they wanted Martin to give up. Just like they wanted Malcolm to give up.

This brand of wickedness must be confronted by all who love Jesus.

5. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What makes you think they were "made" to fight?

And, by your own logic, should we not honor soldiers who were drafted into WWII and Vietnam?

6. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. The War of Yankee Aggression was a very nuanced war, which is why I have no patience for people who just parrot "Slavery! Slavery!" over and over.

There was even a unit from North Alabama that fought for the Union. And they are honored in Alabama, just a there are blacks who fought for the Confederacy and are honored, precisely because we're not idiots. We've thought about this. We understand that there are many more things than revisionist talking points to consider.

7. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To clarify, the Philadelphia Airport isn't in South Philly. It's in Delaware County to the west of Philadelphia. The Navy Yard, which I believe is all condos now, is about as South Philly as you can get, though.

I also remember there was a bar near the airport where we did a bunch of Parrothead events and that always had great bands. I can picture the place like it was yesterday but I can't remember the name of it.

8. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

And as we've discussed, Africans sold Africans into slavery, and that's how they wound up here. But guess what, none of those who did such things are still living, and no white slave-holders are still living. Best to get over that.

And as we've discussed, a lot more whites are killed by police than blacks.

Why is that offensive or hard to believe? Statistics show that when women kill, they use poison more often than men do. Women are probably not offended by that statistic.

Well I don't know, but if you look at the violent videos Blacks post themselves on Youtube, one could easily get that impression. I hesitate to post links here, but there are plenty.

I've been stopped and frisked more than once in my life. I found that the way to avoid trouble is to not stay out late, and cooperate with the police. That way usually nobody gets hurt.

Oh, ok Zaac .

9. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good points.

10. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for answering.

The Untited States has has existed for less than 240 years. Beyond that, your beef is with England and France.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Doesn't mean a thing as the folks who enslaved the Africans in the United States are white. We are talking about the Confederate Flag and what it means in the United States. Talking about how they got here is a red herring.

How many more unarmed whites are killed by police?

It's offensive because statistically it's not true. There's a difference between who has ACTUALLY done something and the population at large.

What about the violent videos of Whites? Do you get the same impression of them? Whites by far commit more violent crime by number.

That's fine and good advice. But I'm telling ya, that's not the reality of most Blacks because a whole lot of them have been doing nothing but accosted by the police.

I'm just saying you're offended by me saying it. Blacks have to deal with multiple people and media outlets saying things against them all day every day.

13. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

We all have to deal with things that are offensive and just plain tick us off. That is life for people of all colors. Sorry about that.

On the flag issue, here is a possible compromise: Federal, state, and local governments could put up memorials to commemorate folks who are esteemed by African-Americans. That way it's all inclusive.

Oh wait, we already have that. Every city in the country has a Martin Luther King monument, have named roads after him, and it's a Federal holiday. There are roads in several states dedicated to the Tuskegee Airmen or Rosa Parks. But the Rebel flag must come down.

I have driven through Atlanta rush hour traffic, and that could explain why some of you are so ill-tempered. I must remember that.:thumbs:

14. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Rush hour in Nashville Tn is no fun either.

15. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes but I'd have to say Atlanta is worse.
    Your mileage may vary...

16. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Ain't nobody trying to be inclusive over this and you and anybody else in the Body of Christ who feels this way should be ashamed. Take the stupid flag and all of the stupid racist commemorating memorials down off government property and leave them down.

Yes.

They're ill tempered because more and more of them are from up North. Just about half of the metro-Atlanta population was born outside of Georgia.

17. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since I don't think anyone here is actually "glorifying" the slavery aspect of the Confederacy, your critique is completely unfounded.

Since you said "it depends," I'm assuming that you would be offended if one's heritage did not glorify slavery, then you are agreeing with my point that he was being "venomous" and disrespectful toward those who respect their heritage.

Full Disclosure: I am aware of one ancestor who had two slaves. That is all I have found on my family tree. I don't "glorify" the man, but see him as a person of his time. I have far more relatives who made their mark on history for fighting and public drunkenness. I don't "glorify" those people either. All of us come from mess-up backgrounds in one way or another.

There is quite a difference between Confederates and Nazis (as well as the German/Austrian populace and the Nazis), and if you don't know the difference, you are really not qualified to be a cultural or historical commentator on this subject. You are speaking in ignorance and cannot actually address the real issues or history related to this subject. Since you cannot address the real issues, you will not be able to change the minds of anyone who can see through your grade school understanding of the historical and social forces at work in the past and present.

There was a difference between the U.S. before and after the Civil War in terms of how the states related to the federal government. The 14th Amendment - ratified after the Civil War - turned "these United States" into "THE United States. The amendment created citizens of the United States instead of just citizens of states. Therefore, future attempts at secession from the United States would be treasonous. Before that time, it was not a settled matter of law.

Certainly slavery was a major and obvious reason for secession, but it was hardly the only one. Moreover, as I pointed out earlier (but you declined to address), not all slave states joined the Confederacy and the states that did not join the Confederacy were not asked to release their slaves. Even the much praised Emancipation Proclamation did not free slaves in those areas - or any other areas that were actually under Lincoln's authority!

If the Civil War was truly all about slavery (the North being against it and the South being for it, as popularly thought about the historically ignorant), then the documents of the time would have been significantly different.

Make no mistake... slavery was an abomination and the Jim Crow laws that followed were evil as well. But that justified moral outrage does not justify outright condemnation of everyone who found themselves on the Confederate side.

Yes, and even more of them do not because their ancestors hated the Nazis but were caught up in the grand sweep of history.

You realize that WWII was about more than the Holocaust, right? You also realize that not everyone who was German or Austrian participated in the Holocaust, right? I certainly hope you also know that Hitler and the Nazis were extremely harsh toward their own people and many of them ended up enslaved or murdered because of a perception of disloyalty, right?

It's a completely different situation.

#57 Baptist Believer, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  18. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Some of us are still scratching our heads trying to figure why all you people who now want to "tear down that flag" weren't all up in arms (or cans of spray paint) about it until one white lunatic that doesn't represent the majority of white people murdered those people in SC.

What were you all waiting for? The right crisis to go on your anti white, anti gun, anti confederate flag crusade? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yeA_kHHLow

How can all you anti white, anti gun, anti confederate flag folks justify your "dancing in the blood" of these unfortunate victims to move your political agenda forward?

Have you no shame or conscience?

#58 poncho, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  19. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

That's a bunch of bovine skeptology. Yall need to stop this mess. The flag is the flag of a slavery happy regime. If you fly it or approve of flying it , you're glorifying the slavery aspect of the Confederacy because that's what it was about.

Nope. Because their heritage was hateful whether or not they want to accept it. If your heritage isn't hateful, then there's no need to fly that treasonous, hate-representing flag.

I've got lots of ancestors who fought for the Confederacy too. But we are all well aware of what that flag represents.

The only difference is that white America values the lives of Jews while they marginalize the lives of Blacks.

And I don't need to change anybody's mind for truth to be truth.

It was treasonous. They were shown grace and mercy.

Stop the foolishness. The ONLY reason for secession was the economics of slavery.

Why?

If they are flying a treasonous hate-representing flag, it sure does.

So that doesn't leave much room for the ancestors of the folks who fought for the Confederacy, because they were forced to, fly that flag.

Did I say otherwise?

Did I say otherwise?
    Did I say otherwise?

Yes the color of the skin of the people being murdered changed.

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent post Bap Bel!