1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A good ensample

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by stilllearning, Aug 29, 2015.

1. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, and nor does it change the fact that Erasmus wrote his Greek before any other Greek manuscript was written had the Comma(that I know of). The Codex Montfortianus was written in 1520.

Erika Rummel(Erasmus' Annotations on the new testament) also cities de Jonge as well, but maintains Erasmus did issue the challenge and made the change as a result.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

#21 McCree79, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2015
  2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You had said "thousands of examples" are found in modern translations. The ending of Mark counts as one. You have a lot of work to do in order to bolster your claim.
    So you should not use the term "removed" --should you?
    Oh, you mean like the marginal notes in the orginal KJVs.

You are couching your defense in a dishonest manner. I certainly believe in the Bible. The point is, I do not hold up the KJV as a standard for all other translations to line up under. The KJV is a version of the Bible. That's what the V stands for. It is not the be-all and end-all.

The KJV revisers unknowingly added many verses. If they had the knowledge we have access to today they would not have added anything. And those revisers would most certainly not be in sympathy with the KJV Only movement.
    I told you before that the Greek text by Westcott and Hort was published in 1881.
    The New Testament of the English Revised Version was also released in 1881.
    Are you speaking of the so-called Wycliffe Bible? I say so-called because Purvey was probably the one who put it together. And he said it was an effort to put the Word of God into the language of the people --unlike the earlier version. That translation was done about 600 years ago. The KJV was first published a mere 400 years ago.
    Again, you are changing horses in the middle of the stream.
    And when you use the phrase "looked upon as God's Word" it does not mean exclusively as such. The people would have regarded the Vulgate, Luthers's versions, and many others as God's Word as well.

So in your point of view the number of English Bible translations account for the evil in the world of the last century?!
    Thanks for the admission.
    Their is no "seem" about it. I do praise their work. Their godly scholarship regarding the New Testament was monumental.

By the way, you should look at The Gospel According To John

Brook Foss Westcott's work was wonderful and edifying. I had borrowed it from my paster a few years ago when a certain person was bad-mouthing W&H. I challenge you to read it.

3. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello Stlllearning,
    I'm sorry to rain on your parade just a little, but I have done a bit of digging:-

The KJV translates two Greek words as 'ensample.'
    Tupos in 1 Cor. 10:11; Phil. 3:17; 1 Thes. 1:7; 2 Thes. 3:9 and
    Hupodeigma in 2 Peter 2:6.

However, tupos is also translated as 'example' in 1 Cor. 10:6 and 1 Tim. 4:12.
    Hupodeigma is translated as 'example' in John 13:15; Heb. 4:11; 8:5; James 5:10.
    As you point out, hupogrammos is translated as 'example in 1 Peter 2:21, and so is deigma in Jude 7.

I can't help wondering why the KJV translators have rendered the same word as 'ensample' in one place and 'example' in another. And what on earth is an ensample anyway??!!

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to Metzger, the manuscripts are:

61: Codex Montfortianus, dating from the early sixteenth century.
    88: a variant reading in a sixteenth century hand, added to the fourteenth-century codex Regius of Naples.
    221: a variant reading added to a tenth-century manuscript in the Bodleian Library at Oxford.
    429: a variant reading added to a sixteenth-century manuscript at Wolfenbüttel.
    629: a fourteenth or fifteenth century manuscript in the Vatican.
    636: a variant reading added to a sixteenth-century manuscript at Naples.
    918: a sixteenth-century manuscript at the Escorial, Spain.
    2318: an eighteenth-century manuscript, influenced by the Clementine Vulgate, at Bucharest, Rumania.

5. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    An ensample is an example. The first is from Old French; the second is from Latin, which leads me to believe that the translators, steeped in the Vulgate, used it on occasion because of familiarity. The translators were not necessarily consistent in their translation choices.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The various teams were not able to compare everything as easily as it can be done today. I would cut them some slack.

7. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't fault them. But KJVO folks seem to think that their inconsistent renderings are evidence of great difference in meaning, hence this thread. Some reject versions that spell "Saviour" as "Savior," after all.

8. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It should be noted that the Comma appears in Latin manuscripts that are much earlier than those above, and that (if memory serves) the first allusion to it in one of the ECFs goes back to the early 3rd Century. It's not quite such a slam dunk as you may imagine.

9. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was simply quoting Metzger, and I do not consider the matter of the authenticity of the Comma a "slam dunk" (I had no idea that idiom was prevalent in the U.K., BTW.) However, the third century ECF quote is from Cyprian, which Daniel Wallace is not convinced proves that the trinitarian formulation was found in the text.

The Comma indeed found its way into translations, including the Vulgate. Whether it was justified is the subject in question.

#29 rsr, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2015
  10. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  11. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry. Nothing at the Trinitarian Bible Society site is of interest. We have a member -- who devoutly believes in the superiority of the KJV text -- who was ejected from the Society because he believes that not every translation choice the translators made was inerrant.

12. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    m -- around the 5th century in the Catholic Epistles
    p -- 13th century
    c -- 12th -13th centuries
    dem -- 13th century
    div -- 13th century
    q -- 7th century

I can't find one earlier than 5th. Only 2 Latin Manuscripts seem to have it prior to 12th century.

13. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to NA, no old Latin Manuscripts have the Comma. Only the revision of Jerome that is associated with 4/5th century on has the Comma.
    In fact, maybe I'm missing something here, but do early Latin Manuscripts even contain 1John??? I cant find one. Nothing before Jerome.

14. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Hello again McCree79

You have quoted Bruce Metzger, who was born in the year 1914; Who was writing about what Erasmus thought about the Bible, over 440 years earlier.
    And you are using what they believed and said about the Bible, to shape your faith in the Bible!!

I have also read these things before, telling me that this verse(and other verses of Scripture like it), were not actually found in but a few Greek manuscript.
    But my faith is not based upon “the words of learned men”, but on the Word of God.....
    “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:”

It is a dangerous “slippery slope”, to allow anyone(or even an angle from heaven,[Galatians 1:8]), to detract anything from God’s Holy Word.
    ------------------------
    Some would have us to believe, that God, who gave us His Inspired Word, would then allow that same Inspired Word, to be lost or added to, because of the carelessness of scribes. Or for that matter, the political shenanigans of power men.

Which beings me to my second point:
    My faith, is also based upon the great body of Biblical teaching, that tell us of God’s providential care of us and His Inspired Word.
    I trust my Heavenly Father, to honor my child-like faith in His Word. And He does!
    ------------------------
    Most people it seems, are critical of my rejection of this great body of opposing opinion.
    But I find myself, in good company.....
    “For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.” 1 Corinthians 2:2

Like Paul, I am “determined” not to know any thing, about scholarship that contradicts God’s Holy Word.
    “Cease, my son, to hear the instruction that causeth to err from the words of knowledge.” Proverbs 19:27

15. stilllearning

Good evening Martin Marprelate

You have missed the point of the OP.
    It was not written in defense of the use of the word "ensample", but it was about the failure of the modern versions, to give more light on 1 Peter 2:21.

Please reread the OP, with this in mind.

16. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is found in Zero Greek manuscripts before the 14th century. You are trusting addition by "learned men" to be correct.
    Sure is.

So which version of the TR is the exact word of God? How did they figure it out since it doesn't match any other Greek manuscript? How come the KJV doesn't follow the TR 100%?

Is the English KJV the only perfectly preserved word of God on Earth?

#36 McCree79, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2015
  17. stilllearning

Hi McCree79

You asked.....
    I don’t know and I don’t care!
    ------------------------
    Next yo asked.....
    Of course not!! Only for English speaking people!
    -------------------------------------------
    What you fail to understand, is that the Bible tells us to “trust the Bible alone”!

And there is not one single verse, in the entire 66 books of the Bible, that even hints, that a Christian NEEDS some man to tell them what verses are really in the Bible!

On the contrary........
    “But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.” 1 John 2:27

18. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello McCree,
    All I wrote was the the Comma appears in Latin manuscripts that are older then the Greek ones and that the verse is quoted by Church fathers at a date that is earlier still. I believe that to be the case. You clearly know much more about the textual situation than I do, but there are other reasons for thinking that the Comma may be genuine. These are mentioned in the link to the TBS website that I gave.

I can understand that some people may not like the TBS, but to refuse to read their stuff is silly. Rsr can hardly complain that Stilllearning doesn't read Metzger if he doesn't read stuff that disagrees with his position. I'm not a member of TBS but I know some of its leadership and although they are a bit wild-eyed, are fine Christian people and they all believe in the inerrancy of Scripture. I'm not sure that Metzger did.

BTW, I'm not at all KJV-only. I tend to use the NKJV.

19. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's sad to me, brother that you blindly accept the scholarship of one group of people [King James translators] about the Bible and you have allowed those men "to tell you what verses are really in the Bible" and yet you say that you don't do that.

There is so much evidence that the extra words in 1 John 5:7-8 were added via someone's marginal notes.

Are those words true? Yes. The Father, the Word (the Son), and the Holy Ghost DO bear testimony of Jesus. And they ARE one.

But these words were not inspired by God to the Apostle John in his letter.

Does that mean something is wrong with the Bible? No. I still like the King James on occasion. And I believe it's a very valid Bible that has been used of God for centuries. I was SAVED when someone preached from a King James Bible.

It just means that an addition was made that we need to recognize as an addition.

God's Word is still perfect and true.

20. stilllearning

Hello

You finished by saying......
    This is a contradiction.
    If something is “perfect and true”, it has no additions!
    ------------------------
    I am not trusting ANY TRANSLATOR, I am trusting God and His preserved Word, alone.
    I suggest you do the same.

Come on in; The waters of faith are great!