1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Greek assist would be nice.

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by exscentric, Mar 5, 2010.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Peter 4.14 second part: "blessed [are ye]; because the [Spirit] of glory and the Spirit of God resteth upon you."

Some say "pnema" does not appear in the verse yet most translations put it in, in some fashion. I think one or two had "spirit" in twice.

Is it the Greek manuscripts used or ....?

Thanks for any thoughts.

2. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pneuma is there. It is nominative singular (the lexical form). Many of the translations play with the word order, but the word is there.

Also, I can't see any evidence that the word Pneuma is disputed as far as textual criticism is concerned.

Blessings,

The Archangel

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you.
    1 Peter 4:14 ESV

εἰ ὀνειδίζεσθε ἐν ὀνόματι Χριστοῦ, μακάριοι, ὅτι τὸ τῆς δόξης καὶ τὸ τοῦ θεοῦ πνεῦμα [pneuma = spirit] ἐφʼ ὑμᾶς ἀναπαύεται.
    1 Peter 4:14 NA27

If you are reviled for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the spirit of glory, which is the Spirit of God, is resting on you.
    1 Peter 4:14 NRSV [italics added]

Peters teaching is based upon Jesus words found in Matthew 5:3-10 and Luke 6:20-21. Further study: Compare how Jesus uses the same word.

Peter identifies the Spirit of God with the spirit of glory.
    Those versions that use the word “spirit” twice do so for clarity of authorial intent rather than out of an obsessive loyalty to a strictly literal rendering of the Greek.

Rob

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks much for the info.

5. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello to the greek students,

Hello,

I am not a greek student, and, rely heavily on Strong's (I know this makes the serious student laugh) and a Interlinear Bible. Also commentaries.

I have started a thread titled perfection (as found in Hebrews) and see a relevant theme to salvation in the words dealing with completion.

A quick question for those more knowledgeable in greek:

What is the perfection in Hebrews 10:14?

As well as throughout Hebrews.

God bless.