1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Jewish "Superman"?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by ktn4eg, Jan 30, 2005.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Someone recently told me that there exists in (for lack of a better term) Jewish mythology, the concept of a kind of "superman," i.e., a human(s) said to possess some variety of super human characteristics.

Does anyone know anything more about this, or can they direct me to any currently available books that discuss this concept?

2. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

That would be the 'nephilim' of Genesis 6, offspring of human women and disobedient angels. Apparently the last straw with God before He destroyed the earth through the flood. Many interesting theories but also some important material.

There were several threads on it but all of them are dead except this one - I'll be reading it with you:

NEPHILIM THREAD

3. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

or it could be the golem??? The "frankinstien's monster" rock creature of super-human strength that saved an entire Jewish community from destruction.

4. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Yes, I do believe it was the golem. Do you (or anyone else out there) know of any biblically-based evalutions of this "myth"?

What I was especially interested in finding out is if there might be any connections between this golem myth and what I read in prophecy concerning a person who is able to exhibit these characteristcs and, thus, deceive many Jewish people into believing that he is someone different than what he claims to be.

5. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    From my brief research on this, it looks like the Golem is a concept brought forth from the Kabbala - the book of Jewish mysticism.

Here are a couple of links:

http://golem.plush.org/

http://www.ced.appstate.edu/projects/fifthd/legend.html

Disclaimer: This is nothing that I would entertain let alone endorse. It is a very cultic belief - read at your own risk (anything from the Kabbala).

6. 2Tim2:15

2Tim2:15 New Member

For what it is worth, my brother-in-law and I were talking the other day about the fact that if human cloning were ever "successful", the clone would be 'soulless', as in a golem.
    We tend to believe that the image of the beast is some great speaking statue, perhaps it's something more 'humanlike'

7. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

8. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

You don't want anything to do with Kabbala, unless you have come across it as a researcher, in which case God will have prepared you, and will be guiding and protecting you. The Kaballa is not only cultic, it is a highly organized, demonic entity.

9. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

golem is the fairy tale that mary shelly stole the story of frankinstien from. It is nothing more than a children's story told during the inquisition to give hope in dark times. A rabbi turned stone into a living man to destroy the enemies of God by using mystical keys hidden in the Torah (Kabbala).

Now, speaking about your conversation with your brother-in-law imagine this...a just for fun imagination, not saying it can or will happen...the shroud of turin is fake based simply on the fact that it is a whole body cloth and the Bible plainly says that the facial cover was separate from teh body cloth BUT what if the real cloth OR something that held a remnant of his blood was found AND the technology of cloning as seen in Jurassic Park was available...Imagine if someone made a clone of Jesus so that the world can once again have her messiah, with a few genetic upgrades. A cloned Jesus would be a perfect anti-christ type figure.

10. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

***Personal insult removed by Blackbird*** Have you not noticed how many of your brethren on this board, many less educated than you, go to great pains to use correct grammar, capitalization, punctuation, spelling, etc., so as not to cause hardship for the people they are communicating to? Sure, it takes more time and effort on your part to compose a message correctly, but much less time and effort is required of the intended audience. This is a serious board about the most serious of subjects, the Lord Jesus Christ. You are not tapping out an AOL IM to one of your buddies. Think about it.

And you are a pastor? ***Personal choice of words removed by blackbird***

Note to Ivey from Blackbird--**This is a privately owned "public" forum in which all who wish to join may do so---this is not an English class with memorization of vocabulary and diction as prerequisites to join!

[ February 03, 2005, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: blackbird ]

11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

GodzThunder---how can you clone Jesus??? He's invisable!!!

12. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

do people read posts anymore? I did say not that it can or will happen meaning this is a just for fun what-if post.

and what is invisable? Do you mean invisible? If so, how is Jesus invisible? is he not flesh and bone? Could not John feel his touch when imprisoned? Did not Thomas feel flesh when he felt the hole in Jesus' hand?

13. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

GodzThunder---I understood your point of "what if"---but I was also stressing a point---in the day in which we live---cloneing is becoming an everyday issue. And I admire your sense of imagination in the "what if" thoughts.

But the word from the Word tells us that God is invisable---look over in 1Timothy 1:17

"Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisable, the only wise God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen."

Now we know that "flesh and bone" Jesus resides where??? In Heaven---which is invisable to us here on the Earth. But He is still very real to us through the Holy Spirit who resides in us! So--on visable Earth He is invisable. In invisable Heaven He is visable flesh and bone!