1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A KJVOnlyism...

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by preacher4truth, Nov 28, 2011.

1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I would gather that whomever said this to you was being jovial. If this was spoken in all seriousness, then that is one thing, but I cannot believe this was stated out of belief that it was true.

I've also heard this quip many times myself, those who said this were being facetious.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I agree, I have never seen a case where anyone actually thought Moses spoke KJV English.

3. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

was said totally serious, as the person was older man, had a fellow pastor with him, and he said that "If Moses could use the KJV young man, what can't you!"

4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

They might have had some support if the original mss were written with the same numbering system that the bibles we have today are. But, I am KJVP, but at one time I was KJVO.

5. preacher4truth

I never knew you were formerly a KJVO. What has caused you to lose that distinction?

#25 preacher4truth, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2011
  6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

A dear friend of mine, who is a Methodist, said he heard a preacher state one time, "If the King James was good enough for Paul, then it's good enough for me." I don't think it was a Methodist preacher he said stated this, but was at another church when he heard it.

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

A lot of it was from my upbringing. My mom and dad weren't christians when I was growing up(dad was saved in 1997, and mom in 1999 or 2000!!!), and all we had in the house was the KJV. Even after I was saved, I was KJVO for a while. But then over time, I realized the "version" word in the KJV, and realized that it was translated from Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek before it was ever published in english. Now if the KJV is the only true Word of God, Germans, Mexicans, Italians, and anyone else who can't understand english, are in a heap of trouble.

Now, I love the KJV, and I do think it's the best, but I could care less what version anyone else reads. If God doesn't enlightened our minds to understand, we'd just as well read a comic book. Regardless of the version one reads, it is God who translates the meaning to us.

8. JesusFan

Looking back, think friend of mine and I were talking about believe Church of Christ and watre baptism requirements, and right behind 2 from local branch of that said what I said to us!
    Think was pastor and an elder!

9. preacher4truth

I believe he may have sounded "serious" but I have serious doubts that anyone would genuinely believe this. It is absurd and illogical.

#29 preacher4truth, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2011
  10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

What, you don't think Moses spoke the KJV english??? Go get one, and you'll find out that he did!!! :tongue3:

BTW, the RAIDERS are 7-4 Brother!! To quote the late Al Davis, "Tha Raidahs!"

You know Brother, I do worry about his soul.

11. preacher4truth

I also worry about his soul, but it is too late for him. He had a great fear of death. That sounds like no peace brother. I take it he was also a Jew.

This reminds me of the following passage:

"And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage." Hebrews 2:15

12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I agree with you!! His life is over, and now he must stand and and hear his sentence rendered. I am not his judge, but I wouldn't trade places with him for anything.....

13. JesusFan

absurd and illogical, any better way to overall address the KJV only issue?

14. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

The Methodists have changed over the years. Our largest Methodist church which probably has around 400 members was having a meeting about three years ago. This actually happened: During the meeting they were working on their statement of beliefs and got into an argument and decided they better look it up in the Bible. After two hours of searching the building, not one Bible could be found---of ANY version. Its funny, but very sad.

15. Romans7man

Romans7man New Member

I am a KJVO, but not to the extent that I don't believe one can not get saved from other versions. I find that a rather silly thing.
    Anyhow, I was talking to a preacher once, and he was dead serious when he said it, He said that the KJV is the word of God, because a lot of people died for it. I was waiting for the punch line too. I'm thinking a lot of people died for the Koran as well, but being nice about the whole thing I just found something else to talk about.
    I think if I were to defend "why the KJV" I could at least come up with something better than that, like maybe doctrinal or something.

I'm like Salty, The 9 thing was Herman Cain's idea. Who says you can't mix religion and politics?

Dell

16. Winman

Winman Active Member

Actually, there is some very compelling evidence that the KJB is the word of God in English.

Google "The Inspiration of the Scriptures Scientifically Demonstrated by Ivan Panin"

I am on a phone and cannot copy and paste, so perhaps someone here can post a link after they find the article.

Now, I cannot prove how accurate this report is, but I have read that Panin's numbers have been investigated and are accurate.

This is not why I am KJO, but it is still an amazing report.

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps he uses the same flawed methodology for his notions in this realm as Harald Camping has in the world of eschatology

#37 Rippon, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2011
  18. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That sentence doesn't make any sense theologically. The nature of inspiration is about the original languages, everything else is a translation. Yoou can't say that an English translation is the words of God.

I downloaded and will probably read it later this week, maybe some of it today. But two notes:
    1. It was written in 1899, while there were other translations available none were as popular - or good - as the KJV at that time.
    2. It seems, in a preliminary scan that the author is attempting to use "mathematical certainty" through statistical (of 1899) measures to estimate the reliability of the KJV. This, at first glance, seems to be a fine example of the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy.

It might have been, back in 1899. Yet scholarship has moved far beyond that time frame. Why in the world would a KJVO crowd go to a resource of the late 1800s for evidence for their claims?

You guys that hard up for good argumentation?

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They reached the bottom of the barrel sometime ago.

20. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Wait a minute...this guy is developing something called "biblical numerics" which is an old Fundamentalist step towards Bible Code or gematria.

Good gravy! You really want to use this kind of reasoning? Its foolish!

First of all, he entire approach is based on the theory that the words in the KJV directly correspond to the original languages.

He attempts to assign numerical values to the letters and words in English and then apply a mathematical formula to them to test their conclusion. Miraculously they worked out! But only occassionally, not consistently, and certainly not in the CT (which is the better textual basis) or, heck, even the MT or TR.

The simple truth is you can't apply his method to anything but select passages in the KJV of his era. You can't apply it to the Greek, Hebrew, or Aramaic.

His whole thing is a bunch of fundamentalist, pseudo-intellectual hubris that does nothing but tear down realibility and faith in the Scriptures.

I can provide more insights if needed. But this is foolishness.