1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A letter to prospective Pastors

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Johnf, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Johnf

Johnf Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea I currently have three men I am discipling. My niche is church revitalization. My goal is to have one of them ready to step up when this church is at the point that it is healthy and can function without me. Then I will likely move on to another church in need. The pastor behind me will also be discipling another pastor. This puts the church and the incoming pastor in a better position. None of this idiotic waiting 3 to 5 years to trust the new pastor garbage. Either God called him or he didn't. Trust God or get the man God actually calls.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for the suggestion. I agree. In fact, that was and remains my intention.Sometimes I get anxious because of my age (I think that this may be too late in life as pastors get younger and younger....makes me feel older and older :(). I wish we had associate pastors because I believe that would be more suited to my abilities and experience. I know that I am in need of being mentored.

The role of pastor extends far beyond giving sermons behind a pulpit. I love preaching, but I am not what you would call a 'people person' (not that I don't care, just that I have never felt the need to socialize, so I have to extend more of an effort than others....like my wife).

So my struggle is being content and faithful where God has me at this moment. I enjoy the opportunities to preach, and perhaps my role will never extend beyond pulpit supply and teaching (which is alright as I am still meeting a need).

Thanks again for the suggestion.

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because acting in an appropriate manner (which is what is meant by "professional") is a far cry from being a Professional in our approach to ministry. We don't apply the rules of business to our churches. We apply the rules of ministry. We see ministry as a calling, not a profession.

That is one of the reasons I urged our congregation not to nominate businessmen as deacons. Running a church and running a business are entirely different things. A ministry is run according to the bible and the rule of faith. A business is run according to the law and the rule of profit. :)

5. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember, Moses was 80 when God Called him :)

God spent 40 years training him up with sheep before he handed him his first congregation :)

6. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the first thing he did was search out his Joshua. :)

7. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And Maybe he learned a thing or two from his father in law? i dunno....

8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    ??? Non-sequitur ???

9. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just saying someone poured into moses as well

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that sometimes people come up with what they want to do and then they seek God to bless their efforts when they should simply be faithful where God has them and seek to please Him. Unfortunately, I’m often one of them.

I recognized Gods call years ago, and have been involved in the ministry of a couple of churches. The struggle, for me, is to be content where I’m at and just wait on God. It may very well be that I simply continue to preach and the role of pastor is not something God has in mind for me. If I knew for certain, that would suit me just fine. I guess my problem is trying to discern exactly in what capacity.