1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A list of accepted definitions for use in this forum.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by T Alan, Dec 6, 2014.

1. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you get a group of Baptists to agree to the definitions of these terms, we need to send you to the Middle East.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Believe it or not there are even more than one definition held on this board to salvation. There are at least a few who hold to more than one salvation. Rather disappointing really.

3. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the spirit, Brother Salty! :thumbs:

4. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

No, I received that lecture my first week here, Rev. It's not more than one salvation, it's just mutliple aspects or applications of the one salvation. :smilewinkgrin:

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh....that is not what I have seen.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, according to pinoybaptist:

"When Jesus said those who believe shall be saved, He does not mean salvation from the wrath of God or from the penalty of sin." (7/6/2008)

"The preaching of the gospel is intended for the timely salvation, not the eternal salvation of his people." (10/29/2007)

"Eternal salvation of His people is all OF the Lord, and all BY the Lord. Gospel salvation? That is something else altogether." (3/12/2010)

7. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except that Baptists must hit the buffet after service.

:laugh:

8. T Alan

T Alan New Member

For the Dictionary. Whenever I say the two terms below this is my meaning based on the supplied text (which there are many more for both).

3.Eternal Salvation: Made absolute for the Elect of YHWH by the death of Christ on the Cross of Calvary. Matt 1:21 ESV And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

4.Temporal Salvation (Conversion) into the Family of God accomplished by the hearing of the Gospel. Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. (Pinoybaptist and I should be in agreement on these two)

#28 T Alan, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
  9. T Alan

T Alan New Member

lol, yeah right!

But seriously, one of the first "rules" in any debate is being able to make the clear the definitions of the terms in such a way that both side understand.

excerpt taken from http://www.schoolsdebate.com/docs/definitions.asp

"For a debate to proceed, both teams need a clear understanding of what the motion means. This requires the motion to be ‘defined’ so that everyone (audience and adjudicators included) knows what is being debated. Problems arise if the two teams present different understandings of the meaning of the motion. This can result in a ‘definition debate’, where the focus of the debate becomes the meaning of the words in the motion, rather than the motion itself. Interaction and clash between the two teams concentrates on whose definition is correct, rather than the issues raised by the motion. Definition debates should be avoided wherever possible. They make a mockery of what debating seeks to achieve."

It's currently happening on this thread already.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh:

Yea you keep thinking that. :rolleyes:

11. T Alan

T Alan New Member

People are arguing over definitions. :) But now another one as to be added to the list as it was brought into question on another thread.
    Church
    12> Unbiblical (as applies to the Meetings of the "Church")

I suggest anything, as far as the Worship Meeting goes, that can't be found in the NT. (not talking about modern creature comforts, esthetics, that would have been, reasonably considered to have been used by the early starters if available ie..bathroom with plumbing, AC/heat, electric lighting et cetera)

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think a better definition would be anything that is contrary to biblical doctrine.

Either that or anything that is contrary to what I believe (that's what I was going for, but I didn't think it'd fly). :smilewinkgrin:

13. T Alan

T Alan New Member

Unfortunately:BangHead: that's the current method everybody's using . We got to get something in black and white.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is black and white. If it is contrary to what I believe then it is unbiblical...otherwise it's good to go. :laugh:

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where in the NT does it say only do it this way? Also have you sold all that you have and give it to the church? After all we want to do it exactly like the NT.

16. T Alan

T Alan New Member

The Biblical church was an assembly of believers who shared a common faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. It was much less formal than the church today.

It had multiple part-time pastors who shared the pastorate. The pastors had secular occupations and were not pressured by a fear of losing their livelihood. They could thus proclaim the Word freely, as conscience dictated. These pastors were also known as elders or overseers.

Church decisions were typically made by the elders. On common matters, the elders might solicit the views of the congregation. However, spiritual matters, such as choosing a new elder, were left in the hands of those who were spiritually mature.

"Today's church operates much like a business, but the Biblical church functioned more as a family. The church did not own property, and was not encumbered by mortgages and full-time salaries. There was no formal membership. If an individual evidenced a genuine faith in Christ, He was freely accepted as a fellow brother in Christ.

The Biblical church was not a venue for entertainment. Singing was not used to entertain listeners; instead, the assembly joined together in corporate singing to worship their beloved Lord. The preaching ministry was not used as an opportunity for telling stories or jokes, nor for soliciting support for some social or political cause; instead, the elders preached God's Word out of heartfelt conviction, a genuine love for the God who had redeemed them with His own blood, and a deep concern for the sheep whom the Great Shepherd had placed in their care."

read more here, if interested.
    http://members.toast.net/puritan/Articles/ChurchOrganization_f.htm

and they didn't hang the greens

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone has been reading George Barna's propaganda.

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you sold all that you have and given it to the local assembly?

19. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do realize that what the church did and what it looked like changed, progressed during the first 30 years? Your problem is that there isn't just "one" version of a New Testament church, even in the New Testament!

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

Good observation some denominations miss.