1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Missing Verse in the KJV?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by aefting, Jul 31, 2003.

1. aefting

aefting New Member

Psalm 145 is an alphabetic acrostic Psalm. Each verse begins with the appropriate Hebrew letter, beginning with Aleph in verse one and ending with Taw in verse 21. The only exception occurs between verses 13 and 14 where the letter Nun is skipped, or is it?

Most modern versions include the following as verse 13b, “The Lord is faithful in all his words and kind in all his works.” According to the notes in the ESV, “these two lines are supplied by one Hebrew manuscripts, Septuagint, Syriac (cf., Dead Sea Scroll). My commentaries on the Psalms also note this fact.

The internal evidence along with these other textual witnesses seem to imply that the KJV left out an entire verse! :eek:

Andy

2. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Yes, I believe that this verse has truly been deleted from the KJV, for the reasons you mentioned.

3. Forever settled in heaven

KJBOs shd admit that their bibles DENY the faithfulness of Yahweh in ALL His Words, n also DENY His kindness in ALL His Works.

what a blatant heresy! what PERversion, what terrible deletion of God's Words, what opportunity to call upon Rev. 22 ... i cld go on, but that wld threaten the fourfold superiority of the Dean Burgon Society n their kind. ;)

4. preecherboymatt

preecherboymatt New Member

quick question,
    in revelation 22:17-20 it is jesus saying that the bible is complete and shouldn't be perverted/changed. now if there was something missing in psalms, a book that was written before jesus' earthly ministry, then wouldn't he of said something about it while he was here? or at least told john that there was something tampered with? I think its safe to say that the pattern you found was just coincidence.
    yours in christ,
    matt

5. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Hi Matt,

I believe the verse *was* present in Christ's day, but "fell out" sometime afterwards.

Brian

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That whole concept will knock the slats out from onlies, you know. Older Greek texts that those evil MV'ers use correcting the corrupted Byzantine?

Can hardly wait to hear what they say!! :eek: [​IMG] :rolleyes:

7. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

from my judaic past, i recall the rabbis taught the verse was left off intentionally as to communicate some meaning, which unfortunately i've forgotten [​IMG]

anyway guys, don't be so smug, the verse could just have easily been a later edition by some scribe wanting to "fix" the acrostic - there's no way to prove otherwise.

8. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

ok, here it is:

The Talmud (Berakhot 4b) teaches: Rabbi Yohanan said, "Why is there no letter nun in Ashrei (psalm 145)? Because it [the letter nun ] contains a hint at the destruction of the enemies of Israel[5], as it says, `The young woman of Israel has fallen; she shall not arise' (Amos 5:2)" ... Rabbi Nahman bar Yitshak said, "Even so, David came back to her and supported her with the holy spirit, as it says, `The Lord supports all those who fall'" ...

http://www.emory.edu/UDR/BLUMENTHAL/AshreiSparks.html

9. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

10. aefting

aefting New Member

Because "naflah" begins with a Nun, David skipped the entire letter? That is the most bizarre, far-fetched reasoning I have ever encountered. I can hardly believe anyone would take it seriously -- yet two Jewish sources do! Amazing.

Andy

11. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Because "naflah" begins with a Nun, David skipped the entire letter? That is the most bizarre, far-fetched reasoning I have ever encountered. I can hardly believe anyone would take it seriously -- yet two Jewish sources do! Amazing.

Andy
    </font>[/QUOTE]Well, now you know what the Talmud is like! Its about like getting your theology straight from all the posts in this forum - and I mean ALL of them! As for the logic, ask yourself if Amos had written his verse at the time David was writing this psalm!