1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A missionary's observation...

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by creemos, Apr 2, 2004.

1. creemos

creemos New Member

This actually happened to us:

We were invited to an elderly couple's house for lunch. They were interested in supporting our efforts to reach at-risk youth with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We accepted and after a nice lunch, proceeded to present our "calling."

With great excitement, this dear couple made a commitment to financially support our family. We never received a check from them- even though we stayed in touch constantly and prayed for their needs too!

Finally, more than a year later- I found out why we never received a check from this retired and very wealthy couple. They simply could not agree whether the amount of their "donation" should be a one-time gift of $10.00 or $15.00. They simply did not give because they could not agree on the amount!

And then, there is a well known real estate broker who made a commitment of $100.00 to support our family. One year later (and still no check) we finally were able to get ahold of her. She explained that she could no longer afford to support our missionary effort- because she had just spent $5,000.00 on breast implants.

I cannot tell you how many times well meaning but misguided brethren have actually shared with us that "God has instructed them to give to our missionary efforts- but, not until we became a non-profit so they could claim a tax deduction!

This may the only time most of you ever read something like this- missionary families rely totally upon God's provisions and rarely share openly with broken-hearted amazement, the carnality of Christians who send them away "blessed and may your stomachs be full" but also, with no bread!

Just a thought...

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Creemos -

I know how you feel. Get this, when I was still with the other order of Baptists I used to go to, and was presented to the congregation to be "sent out" to a certain area, the congregation itself came up with a cumulative monthly pledge of a certain amount.

Monthly ? Ha ! I don't have to tell you what happened.

Yet, the Lord supplied every need, every need, from food to medicine, that ever came up. And since this was a poor slum area in the Philippines (and slums in third world countries are not our slums here in the US. Our US slums are rich compared to their slums !), sometimes the members of that church I pastored would run to me to borrow money !

It pays to rely on the Lord, and only on the Lord !

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sadly, it is not just individuals who renege on such promised support. How many churches have taken on missionaries for a monthly commitment, then a new pastor comes or a split comes and what is the first financial obligation dropped?

You guessed it. They don't quit paying the electric bill.

Our church is small but slowly shifting its mission support to one-time gifts to missionary needs and full support of 2-3 of our own folks who are on the field.

We have a family in China fully supported by the church. We have another in Mormon missions that we are aiming at full support. We have another member family in Argentina and 1/2 support. Since my wife is a doctor/breadwinner and I often get substantial support from churches where I am working, I am only given token monthly support for our ministries.

We also have a house for the missionary to live in, rent-free, when they return "home". And we have them ministering in our church for that year of furlough.