1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A must read for preachers

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Crabtownboy, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From a friend in Prague.

2. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Don't think you'll find a lot of Buechner fans here on the BB. However, I am one of them. Never read this one, though I have seen it in the bookstore. Thanks for the reminder -- I need to get it the next time I'm there.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting book!
    I purchased a lightly used copy for ~$7 after reading this review.

It's definitely a stimulating read.
    I've been using it like a devotional, reading few pages at a time.
    I've found my mind wandering on almost every page considering of how I can apply it to my life situations.

Have your read any other of his books?
    What would you recommend next?

Rob

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I own and have read several of his books and I have learned from each one.

Here is from Wikipedia:

He is quite elderly ... I believe he is still alive. My wife's brother introduced us to his writings. Buechner had his car serviced at the garage where he worked and they struck up a friendship. Buechner gave him several of his books.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I've read a fair bit of him. I don't consider his works to be worthy contributions. He seems to write more for the novice layman. Peculiar Treasures was the first work I read in college. Interesting, but again not a very helpful contribution.

I wouldn't say stay away but at the same time I wouldn't recommend him. Far more worthy works exist. Just don't have much in the way of expectations and you won't be disappointed should you decide to read him.

I don't recall reading this particular work, so I'll reserve judgement on that til I read it.