1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Nettleton Sermon Outline re Divine Decrees

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rippon, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Asahel Nettleton ( 1783-1844 ) was an older contemporary of Charles Finney . Nettleton was used powerfully by the Lord . He was a polar opposite of Finney . These extracts are from his bio . Bonar put it together . I will cite parts of the very beginning of his message and the ending .

Psalm 97:1 -- The Lord reigneth , let the earth rejoice .

The simple truth contained in these words is , that it is a matter of rejoicing that God governs the universe ... He exercises absolute control over both the natural and moral world -- that He ' worketh all things after the counsel of His own will ' -- no event , great or small , ever takes place which is not included in His eternal purpose , and which is not made to subserve His ultimate designs .
    My present object is to shew , that it is a matter of rejoicing that the Lord thus reigns .
    I am aware that it is not thus regarded by wicked men . There is no doctrine to which the natural heart is more bitterly opposed than that of the absolute sovereignty of Jehovah .
    Wicked men are willing that God should govern the natural world -- that he should regulate the motions of the planets , order the vicissitudes of day and night -- of summer and winter -- of seed time and harvest , and perform His pleasure in the animal , vegetable , and mineral kingdoms . They do not object to the doctrine of God's decrees so far as it relates to the natural world merely . But when we speak of the government of God over the moral world , the enmity of the heart is roused . ' What ! does God reign over moral agents ? '

His power is infinite as His wisdom and goodness . All things are possible with Him . All His creatures are the workmanship of His hands . And has he made creatures whom He cannot govern ? No , my hearers , the Lord reigneth . ' He sits on no precarious throne . ' He doeth according to His will in the army of heaven , and among the inhabitants of the earth ; and none can stay His hand , or say unto Him : What doest thou ?