1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A New Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, May 15, 2005.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Recently I heard that Charles Ryrie will be speaking up near Raleigh. While looking into the location I found a seminary I did not know exists. It is called Shepherds Theological Seminary . They boast some pretty good faculty including Charles Ryrie himself. They offfer the MDiv and two basic MA programs. The school is not accredited though they are working to gain accreditation over the next few years.

This looks like a good up and coming school. What do you think?

Martin.

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin,

You probably know what I think! I would flee to the hills until they had a higher # of profs w/doctoral degrees from some well known and RA institutions.

Did you look at the credentials of the profs closely? Go back and look again.

sdg!

rd

3. UZThD

UZThD New Member

faculty looks pretty fair to me except for "Gulf Shore."

4. Broadus

Broadus Member

I agree with UZThD. The faculty is not exceptional as a whole, but the credentials of its members, for the most part, are credible.

Bill

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes but I think it is a new school. I say give it time and things will improve. That is why said it is a "good up and coming school".

Martin.

6. UZThD

UZThD New Member

My opinion was based on the limited degrees offered. Were this school to offer PhDs in Bible , like, um, say Bethany of Dothan, then I would think most of its faculty unqualified.

Of course, I dislike Trinity ,from where some Sheperds fac have degrees, because of its past hyperbolic fibbing re being "world class, " and having accreditation by Liverpool. Neither was my PhD experience at TTS really doc level stuff. Of course unlike most UA schools, at least TTS had a qualified faculty even if the student got to interact little with it.

As TTS now has RA candidacy, its status ,I suppose, rises a notch, and so, I don't think the faculty of Shepherds should be harshly judged by presence of a couple of TTS grads---especially if the diplomas of these grads have the esteemed $225 Liverpool sticker attached . BUT if the diplomas do not...well... [​IMG]

[ May 16, 2005, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: UZThD ]

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I only noticed two profs who have degrees from Trinity (Don Sandberg, and Mike Garrett). The others had good degrees.

Stephen Davey: M.Div., Detroit Baptist Seminary
    S.T.M., Dallas Theological Seminary

James Boland: M.Div, Grace Theological Seminary
    ThM., Grace Theological Seminary

Randy McKinion: M.Div., Masters Theological Seminary
    Ph.D., Candidate, Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary

John Edward Millheim: M.Div., Faith Theological Seminary
    Th.M., Princeton Theological Seminary (and others that I know nothing about).

Charles C. Ryrie: Th.M., Dallas Theological Seminary
    Th.D., Dallas Theological Seminary
    Ph.D., University of Edinburgh

David Temple: M.A.., University of North Carolina at Greensboro
    Ph.D., University of North Carolina at Greensboro

David Williams: M.A., Wheaton College
    BPh.D., Gulf Shore Baptist Seminary (I know nothing about Gulf Shore, but Wheaton is strong).

Sam Winchester: Ma, Ph.D., Princeton University

Not alot of PhDs, so it is sort of weak. However it is a new school so I guess it will take time for them to get better faculty.

Martin.

8. UZThD

UZThD New Member

IMO a ThM may be a little lightweight to teach MA studies, but that is regularly done. So, what do I know!

I had a prof at Western who had only a ThM.

9. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

Depends on the ThM.

The Th.M. from Dallas Theological Seminary is a 4-year degree, a very rigorous course. Includes 4 semesters of Greek, 2 of Hebrew. Bible exposition courses that cover the entire Bible. Of course Theology, homiletics, etc.

A Thesis, as well as an internship.

10. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Gang,

I must repent!

I made a snap judgment about Shepherd's. I would like to see more PhDs/ThDs and specialized DMins; but, to just be starting out they have a good crop. I would say it has great promise.

I was especially impressed w/the Adjuncts and Part Timers there.

Once again, I repent.

sdg!

rd

11. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

I have a four year ThM (ie MDiv plus one yr) from Western CB Seminary, also rigorous, so I know the DTS one. However, the gov approved accreditor TRACS, eg, thinks a doc is required. The fact is, most seminary profs in accredited schools do not merely have the ThM. AND, further, when such seminaries advertize positions they often stipulate having a doc as a req. for that position.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ryrie is divorced and never remarried. So I am surprised in some ways they would bring him on.

13. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

I think a point here is actually what a degree represents. All doctorates are not created equal even from the same school. What a degree represents depends greatly upon the individual (his work ethic, intellect, personally, etc.) and what he has been doing for the past decade or so. A degree does not necessarily increase a person’s cognitive functioning to a high level. It just means that he met the course requirements and skinned by the dissertation committee. Bright people can learn and grow intellectually without working for a formal degree.

Peter Anwar, for example, had no earned doctorate but he spent his life doing hands-on research in a lab. This later earned him a Nobel Prize followed by a number of honorary doctorates. I would say that his knowledge and experience gained from the laboratory was greater than earning a Ph.D. in zoology.

My argument is that a man with a Th. M. who has been teaching in seminary for the past twenty years may be functioning at a higher level than the Ph.D. with no teaching experience. Teaching has a way of maturing a person as well as keeping the individual learning and growing academically. He is faced with daily academic challenges to keep ahead of his students, especially at a graduate level. On the other hand, a pastor or organizational head with a doctorate is somewhat removed from the academic mix and his academic proficiency declines.

Let’s not look down on the guys without doctorates. Look at their performance. One of the top mathematicians in the country doesn’t even have a degree. He dropped out of MIT during the Viet Nam era but he has made his mark on mathematics. I would rather have learned cello from Pablo Cassals than with some unknown Ph.D. from a big name school. What about you?

To put it in a first century scenario, would you have rather learned your theology from the Pharisee Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, or the unlearned and ignorant Peter, a fisherman?

14. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Paid

Your argument is a good one. As I recall, eg, John Murray had only a ThM. Still, were he just starting out, it might be difficult for him to get hired as oft schools req a doc from applicants. IMO one w-out a doc can learn a great deal on his own once he learns how to study.

15. Darrin

Darrin New Member

I attend church at Colonial Baptist Church, where Shepherd's Theological Seminary is located. I heard Dr. Ryrie speak and he was awesome!

Our church body is roughly 3000 and the seminary is growing. I know they are adding programs and hopefully this will attract more students.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Darrin

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Well Darrin

Tell us more, please?

17. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

So what does that have to do with anything? How is that a positive or a negative?