1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A non-vote is a vote for...

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Aug 28, 2012.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I remain silent when I choose. I have no idea what a shildish is.

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

That's sort of how I feel here in Connecticut. We might possibly be the "bluest" state in the nation at the present time, surely within the top 5. I have always voted Republican and feel my vote is vain.

But you never know, I know of many people who voted for Obama last time who are very dissatisfied with him, perhaps this year will be different. My vote could count this time.

The Senate is where my vote could make a difference in my state. Republicans are doing very well in the polls this year.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I know for myself that a non-vote is far from apathy. It is a hard decision and painstaking decision to go against what I believed most of my life. Not only did I believe a good citizen always voted, but I taught it to my government and civics students.

It is precisely I DO care that I make this decision. It is because I care that neither party listens to the grass root conservative voters. It is because I wearied of the GOP taking my vote for granted because the leadership knows that the conservative Christian voting bloc will get their vote no matter who they run for president.

Call it what you will. Call it foolish. Call it a 'vote for the other guy' if you wish. Those are opinions. But apathy is a judgement on those who make that choice.

It is far from apathy.

#25 NaasPreacher (C4K), Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2012
  6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I applaud those who refuse to be used as pawns and feeling like they have to vote for evil just because that's all that is on the table.: applause:

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure if I totally agree. If there are two poor choices (assuming no 3rd party) then why vote for either.

Now assuming there is a 3rd party - and the votes for him cause one of the major party to loose - so be it. Maybe the major party should keep that in mind next time around.

Solutions:
    1) the "None of the above" ballot - (which Nevada has) this should be required for all elections Actually the Nevada law has been struck down -but here is why If used and administered properly , I think it is a great law.

California considered, but it was voted down

2) the fusion ballot - then the major parties MUST listen to the minor parties.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In an opinion poll, maybe. In an election, it's the outcome that matters, and a non vote, or a vote for a third party is an act that helps destroy the party that is divided. Jesus wasn't just chomping His bubble gum when He said a house divided cannot stand.

If Obama wins, those conservatives who stayed home or cast their votes for the inconsequential conservative non-Republican party candidates will have helped elect him.

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

For you, it is not apathy - you have obviously made a decision based upon your convictions regarding the matter. But I would wager that for for the majority of eligible non-voters it IS apathy.

#29 Mexdeaf, Sep 3, 2012
  10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I am voting for a major party. I just do not agree with the classification of the terms.

11. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Two corporate banker puppets running against each other is not an election.

It's a sham. And this sham should be fairly obvious because both parties are running essentially the same candidate.

We lose if we vote, we lose if don't vote.

#31 poncho, Sep 3, 2012