1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Proper Concept of the Atonement

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

What are you talking about? Whoever said those who abide are lost? The whole point is that they are not lost. The question is on those who do not abide.
    You never have proven they were ever saved. You use passages about "vines" that are not even talking about individuals (making the same mistake as Calvinists in Rom.9)
    Where do you get that from? Why would an eternal being only be able to pay for at most one person or sin? I had said a sinless finite person would only be able to pay for only one "life for life". How do you figure that Christ the Creator could pay for no more?

2. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

Two issues are still at stake with those desirous of claiming that the ‘debt’ of sin was literally paid for, regardless of whether the debt is eternal or not, that no one thus far, to my knowledge, has addressed. They consist of the issues of God either being a respecter of persons, including double predestination, and the issue of the atonement being less than able to save everyone He paid the sin debt has been said to have been paid for. If we can reject the sin debt that has been paid for our sins by refusing to accept the pardon offered, how is this not placing ‘our wills as the sole determining factor of our salvation, when in fact Scripture states, ‘nor by the will of man?’ If God has ‘literally’ paid for our debt of sin, has anyone heard of double jeopardy? Why would the sinner still be required to literally pay for that which has already been literally paid for? Do Scriptures ever represent God removing a debt as far as the East is from the West, never to remember it again, only to retrieve that debt and re-impose it upon the one failing to accept His pardon?

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As I showed in the case of Luke 12 specific debt is owed (different debt) by each individual - some more than others.

I also show that all must given an account - the legal debt is calculated "for the deeds done in the body whether they are good or evil".

I shows that the "stroke due to us" the debt we owe - was placed upon him.

I showed that the term used in Col 2 is the same as the legal bond or debt "certificate of debt" and showed by the Greek and Aramic use and definition.

Because the debt is not "infinite" but is measured and relatively greater or lesser for each individual (Luke 12) and because Christ takes "the stroke DUE to us" legally accounted as DUE us - this is the entire meaning of "substitution" -- He is placed in our place for the debt we owe - He pays.

But if all sin occurs the same debt "infinite debt - infinite torture" then an infinite being could only pay for at most one sin - and then you would be right that the Bible teaching on substitution would not fit with the idea of infinite debt owed not just by each person but -- for each sin of each person.

In Christ,

Bob

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Explain how it is that if the debt is not "infinite for each sin committed" that "Atonement would not be able to account for all sin".

You say in your post above that this would be a problem EVEN if the debt owed is not infinite.

How is that?

"Behold I stand at the door and knock - if anyone hears AND OPENS the door I will come in and fellowship" Rev 3.

It is clear that the decision to accept salvation is with mankind.

If your argument is "Calvinism is true so given that - how can we accept salvation with our own choice being the determining factor" then -- I argue that Calvinism is error.

If your argument is "once the price is paid we should not owe and we should have universalism" then I would argue that the grocery store model does suggest that - but the Atonement model declares that BOTH the payment AND the work of High Priest must be applied to see who is saved.

IF it was just the payment - then all would have been saved at the cross - "universalism".

That only works in the grocery story if "God had gotten paid" then we would not expect HIM to be "paid again". But in Atonement GOD is the one WHO PAYS so He is the one who determines if HIS payment is to be used by the sinner since HE paid.

If I buy a car for you and then you insult me - do I still have to GIVE you the car? The answer is no. That is not a grocery store model.

But if someone buys my car from me - they can then give it to you even if you insult me. That is a true grocery model.

both Exek 18 and Matt 18 do that very thing. Matt 18 is explicit in showing "forgiveness accepted, received" and then "that same forgiveness revoked".

In each case where you have asked for the text showing the point - I have given it.

In Christ,

Bob

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Quote:
    This is a circular arugment that was stiillborn from the moment of the post. It makes no sense at all to ANSWER the problem of ETERNAL and therefore INFINITE debt owed by ONE person for ONE sin and the fact that an ETERNAL and therefore INFINITE being could only pay for AT MOST ONE -- with the circular argument offerred above.

The fact that this is the hole that both ERIC and DHK settle for is in fact "instructive" as it means -- they have no other option!
    If infinite debt is the payment owed for each sin - then an infinite being could at most pay for the debt owed by one sin.

Obviously.

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Quote:
    I have shown in scripture where those who DO go off and do whatever they wish sometime after salavtion are then condemned. Your response has been that "A- we can not allow those texts to apply to us today" because that threatens security and the stability of salvation (i.e. read OSAS) or "B - those guys ABIDING IN Christ and IN the VINE of Christ are lost while ABIDING in HIM so failing to continue to ABIDE IN Him just makes them losterrr".

So "yes" I would say you are having a problem with that concept contrary to your claim in the statement above.

You are not paying any attention at all to the details in either John 15 or Romans 11.

In John 15 "abiding IN CHRIST" is in reference to branches IN the vine who do not go on to produce fruit.

Your argument is that they " are not in the vine to start with" -- no mention AT ALL is made to branches in John 15 that were NEVER in the vine and NEVER expected to produce fruit.

In Romans 11 there is NO MENTION at all of branches that were never in the vine and who are in that state "at risk of losing something". They are not even in the story at all!

In Christ,

Bob

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Bump to keep this in view for HP when he returns

8. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Uh, infinity is not a definite number where you can limit it like that. Infinity times infinity is infinity. And infinite being can pay the debt of an infinite number of sins.
    You still do not understand what "the vine" is in those passages. Israel is called "the vine", but were all of them saved? No. The vine is the covenant relationship. The Jews were in by inheritance, but then cut off. It is now offered to Gentiles, but if they refuse the Gospel and believe for the wrong reason like the Jews did, they too wi become hardened, and essetially rejected from the new covenant they had come so close to.

9. Heavenly Pilgrim

Hi Bob,
    Sorry for the delay in responding. I am back and able to post again.

I have been thinking about your position. Let me explain to you once again, to get off on a right track, how I see your position. You tell me if in fact I am correct. I do not desire to misunderstand or misrepresent your ideas in any way.

What I hear you saying is that you believe that a literal payment was made on the cross for sin. You do not see the penalty for sin as being eternal separation from God, for you believe that at some point the wicked will be annihilated by God.

Am I on track thus far?

10. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: An Infinite Being cannot “LITERALLY” pay anything that logic, designed and imparted to man by God Himself, without which understanding would be meaningless, declares is an absolute absurdity. An Infinite being CAN pardon an infinite amount of sin via a substitutionary atonement, but to literally pay ‘an eternity separated from Himself’ multiplied times every sinner that has ever lived, entertains unadulterated absurdity.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There you have said it. What is the disagreement? Is it in a definition of terms?
    What is the substitutionary atonement (a literal payment for sins) if it is not literal, what is it? He literally paid for our sins. That is what the atonement is all about. It is pictured for us in the Old Testament where the High Priest entered once a year into the Holy of Holies and offered a goat for the sins of the nation of Israel. He took another goat, placed his hands upon it, and it symbolically took our sins into the wilderness never to be remembered no more. Blood was shed, for without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins. And in type the other goat became our burden-bearer as Christ is now. He bore the penalty of our sins. He paid the ransom. He literally paid the penalty that God demanded. That is what the atonement is all about. The High Priest met the demands that God required at that time. And Christ met the requirements of God the Father 2,000 years ago. He took upon himself the sins of the world.

He was the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only, but for the sins of the whole world (1John 2:1)
    DHK

12. Heavenly Pilgrim

Hi DHK,
    The disagreement isn’t about terminology, but rather about an overall concept determining the very essence of what has been accomplished on the cross and how that work of Christ effects our relationship and walk before God.

Maybe the following questions will help to illuminate the distinction that must exist between a ‘literal payment’ and a substitutionary atonement.

You said that the penalty of sin was "eternal separation from God.” Was God separated from Himself for eternity? If not, it is impossible for Him to have suffered the ‘literal payment’ for sin. If He was to have suffered the ‘literal payment for sin, he would have had to suffer an eternity of separation for every sinner that had ever lived, an utter absurdly illogical impossibility.

13. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

what difference does any of this make?

14. Heavenly Pilgrim

Claudia: what difference does any of this make?

HP: Keep tuned for more details :)

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The problem is bigger than that. AS you stated in your earlier post it is an "infinite amount of torture" that is "the wage" of ONE SINGLE SIN!

If INFINITE suffering is really the DEBT owed by ONE sin - then and INFINITE being can pay at most -- the debt of ONE sin according to DHK and according to your own view of this.

And therein is the strength of your argument HP because DHK concedes your central point.

In Christ,

Bob

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Matt 10 Christ said that God destroys BOTH body AND soul in fiery hell JUST as in this life the body is literally killed.

I do not believe that a "destroyed soul" is in a state of "union" with God. I agree that it "IS no more" as the Bible says of the wicked. But "Being no more" is not the definiton of "restored fellowship with God".

So while I believe in eternal separation in that case - it is more correct to say that I believe the Luke 12 concept of exact amounts of punishment meeted out - some more and some less INSTEAD of "INFINITE torture" for every sin as you and DHK have defined it.

By having the price of ONE sin be "infinite torture" - infinite punishment - an infinite being can pay for at most "one" sin. And in that case your point would be irrefutable.

The wicked will pay the debt of torment and suffering "owed" for each sin (exactly that debt of suffering - no more, no less). Then as a result of that - they will die. God will not a work a miracle and raise them from the dead - he will leave them in that state. The resulting state of having paid their own debt of sin in full. The debt of suffering followed by death.

In Christ,

Bob

#56 BobRyan, Jun 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2006
  17. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: You are doing a dance around the facts as I see it. You still make the penalty for sin something that is eternal in nature. Let me see again if we are on the same page. I see you saying that eternal annihilation of the wicked is the penalty for sin. Is that not correct? If it is correct, did Christ ‘literally’ pay 'that' penalty? Is He 'eternally annihilated' from the presence of God? If not, Christ did NOT suffer what you say is the ‘literal payment for sin.’ Even using your definition, Christ could have only made a substitutionary atonement for the penalty, not in any way a literal payment of eternal annihilation.

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree that Christ did not simply cease to exist for all eternity. No question.

But the DEBT owed is the suffering of the second death. The END - death itself is a RELEASE from that torment.

19. Heavenly Pilgrim

Bob,
    Now we are getting somewhere. Would you agree then that Christ did not suffer a ‘literal payment’ of the sin debt, but rather satisfied what God obviously accepted as a substitutionary sacrifice? Do you now see why it does not matter whether you believe that the sinner suffers in eternal hell or is annihilated, that the payment made could not possibly be understood as being a 'literal' payment, but rather a substitutional one, satisfying the demands of the law in such a way that God accepted it as a substitute in lieu of the literal payment?

#59 Heavenly Pilgrim, Jun 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2006
  20. Heavenly Pilgrim

Claudia,
    You asked about the import of this issue. Let me ask you. Do you understand this point we are now discussing?

I am hoping to hear back from DHK as well before moving on.