1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Proper Interpretation of Nahum 1...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by FundamentalDan, Sep 1, 2005.

1. FundamentalDan

FundamentalDan New Member

I would like to ask someone to answer the following questions about Nahum 1.

1. To whom was the book of Nahum written?

2. Why is a dual comparison given (see verses 6-7, 14-15)?

3. What events does the book prophesy?

4. What nations are involved?

5. What is the overriding principle of the book of Nahum?

I believe that only when you truly understand a Scriptural passage, can you then presume to give an application of it. Interpretation comes first, and then application. The thread below shows me that some interpretation is desperately needed here.

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

What thread below?

3. FundamentalDan

FundamentalDan New Member

It was below when I wrote the post. The thread dealing with Hurricane Katrina being the judgment of God. Someone tried to use this passage to justify their sentiments. I notice by the lack of response that few have actually taken the time to see if this passage applies. That was my intended point.

4. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.

And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?

I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?

I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
    luke 13:1-5

5. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

If I remember my studies, I believe this is the rest of the story concerning Jonah and Nineveh.

Last we heard from Jonah, everyone repented and got saved. But as time went on, they went back to being the same as they had before Jonah preached.

Judgement does come, but I would not say Katrina was judgement from God. The French Quarter of New Orleans seems to be pretty much unscathed. If it was God's judgement, wouldn't He have destroyed the most godless areas?