1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Question Calvinists must Answer

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Not trying to be contentious - just asking! :) What statistics? And are they world-wide, or confined to the United States? And by "the neo-reformed movement", do you simply mean people who believe the doctrines of grace? I say again, just asking!

2. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

It was an article I think we discussed on this board a while back talking about the resurgence of Calvinism/reformed beliefs. It had stats about how most of them were young, white and male. That was me when I became a Calvinist too. I was 19 in college and was recommended a MacArthur book "Ashamed of the Gospel." It introduced me to Calvinism and I adopted that belief all the way through seminary and many years following (about 10-11 years total).

Certainly there are women, blacks and older people too, but this was just about the "resurgence" and the majority of those that are represented. That is just interesting to me considering what Calvinists believe about God's decrees and such.

3. Skandelon

NOTE TO ALL CALVINISTS,

I just read through all the replies and there is clearly a misunderstanding about my question. Please understand that point #1 is NOT arguing that belief in Calvinism is what saves. Instead, it is an REASON or CAUSE for why a professing believer might reject Calvinism. So, let me try again and speak more clearly this time.

Why did John Wesley, a professed believer and ardent follower of Jesus, reject Calvinistic belief while you accepted it?

Was it because:
    1. He wasn't really saved, which lead him to believe falsely
    2. He was not as smart (good) as you?
    3. God didn't give him enough grace to accept it, but he gave it to you and other Calvinists.

Is there another option?

Thank you.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I'll go a step further and say Calvinism is not THE gospel. That is what I have a problem with. The gospel has nothing to do with John Calvin or any other man. You will never get saved by the gospel of Calvin. All the ism's in the world are not THE gospel.

I'm not going to argue with you about this anymore. You need to spend your time on the board either learning or edifying, not searching through months of posts so you can accuse me of something I didn't do.

5. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

D: it was because he interpreted Scripture differently.

6. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

7. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Because God has decreed that His purposes will be accomplished (exactly how, when and where He wants them to occur) through the free choices His people make, of which He has decreed both the choice, and the result.

Thus: why did Wesley believe wrongly about the Gospel? Because he was left to his own devices to study and seek out the truth, and like all of us he was not perfect.

However, equally true at the same time, and with no contradiction, God decreed that Wesley would get it wrong. Perhaps Wesley's incorrect interpretation of the Gospel, served as a balancing force to keep Hyper Calvinism in check. Or perhaps it was to keep God's church from flooding the world before the proper time. Who knows? The point is, that God both allowed it, and decreed it, and His purposes are His own. John Calvin said, rightly I believe, that where scripture is silent, we should be silent. Thus, to posit answers (whose possibilities are in the billions, surely), is a ridiculous waste of time and energy.

8. ashleysdad

ashleysdad Member

I want to say thank you for this post! My day started off REALLY bad, but after reading this and hearing that I can be/might be saved after all even though I am not a Calvinist, well lets just say that my day is now SO much better!

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Hey, don't put words in his mouth! :D

He clearly has called out the salvation of everyone not a calvinist on this board...and nothing was done about it. That should tell you which direction the administrators and moderators of this board lean.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    now of course if you are a lawyer, banker or politician you know the rules are changed. Read Edwards sermon on Sinners In the Hands of an Angry God. Bankers, politicians & lawyers are those spiders hanging by a thread in the Pit of Hell. :laugh:

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Excellent post and dead on.

Skandelon seems to me to be a very smart man, seems to be well educated and seems, at least to me, to be a thorough Arminian (which is WORLDS better than this deadly new nameless theology that many have just made up to suit them which has no roots is historic orthodox Christianity).

Where Skandelon misses it, imo, is in creating false dilemmas- narrowing the options to 2 or 3 when they could be, as you say, in the billions.

We don't have to know the "how" to know for certain the facts that ARE revealed.

We know that it is a biblical and logical FACT that God willed for everything to happen that ever happens. We know for a FACT that God's power, plan and purpose are behind EVERY single event.

We also know that men make real choices that have real consequences.

How we reconcile the two is a mystery for the ages. But that they are both most CERTAINLY taught in Scripture is beyond question.

12. ashleysdad

ashleysdad Member

Great, it just so happens that I DO work for a bank! Now I am REALLY concerned. I am not a Calvinist AND I am a banker! I'm doomed!!:eek:

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Does that mean you were elected as Chairman of the Board?

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

If I sounded that way, I do not. There are many views on God's sovereignty. I try to get my limited understanding of it from Scripture, and totally ignore Calvin. Augustine, and others I will read, but not Calvin.

15. Skandelon

Why? Is one smarter, better at interpreting than another, or did God give more grace so that one could interpret correctly while the other could not?

16. Skandelon

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. So you believe God granted something to Calvinistic believers that he didn't give to Wesley?

I realize you haven't acknowledged knowing God's purpose in decreeing Wesley's rejection of Calvinism, but you do appear to be saying that ultimately the reason Wesley rejected Calvinism was because God decreed it to be so, correct? If not, please expound further?

17. Skandelon

A false dilemma would'nt allow and even ask you to provide your own choice would it? I did, which I notice you conveniently didn't do. If not one of these options, which one? There has to be a cause for that choice to reject or accept Calvinism within a deterministic system, right? So, why? What causes it?

Its not a dilemma for us because we affirm free will (LFW). We believe in self-determiniation. I determine my choices. God created me with the ability of first cause choices...i.e. choices not caused by Him. I determined to be Arminian, not God. If I'm wrong its my responsibility because it was my choice. I could have done otherwise because nothing prevented me from seeing and understanding the truth and responding to it.

Since you deny the possibility of LFW you cannot say this. You must either say (1) we don't accept Calvinism because we aren't really saved or (2) we don't accept Calvinism because God didn't grant the grace to some of His children to accept it, while he did to others. There is really no other option unless you affirm LFW.

18. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

No... I have "called out" all those who believe that salvation is of ANYTHING other than Jesus Christ. That includes Calvinism.

19. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Might I suggest that most here on this board are apt to disavow your stated reasons for asking questions like you do because of this "a priori" issue:

www.critiquingcalvinism.blogspot.com

As far as I can see, after reading dozens upon dozens of your posts is that you only ask with ulterior motive in mind -- not a desire to actually get to any truth in the matter. And I'm really not trying to attack you -- you are "free" to believe whatever you like -- and deal with whatever consequences come from that belief, just like the rest of us -- but you ask PRIMARILY for the sake of an argument... :thumbs:

20. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

We will probably find one day that this disagreement is not nearly as important as some think it is, like the Pharisees debating over how to wash the utensils they were concerned about. Some say wash one way and some another. :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.