1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Question concerning Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by HeDied4U, May 8, 2003.

1. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you don't like Outlook, you also could switch the Netscape mail (free by download) or Eudora (also free.) Netscape will handle multiple accounts.

2. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pardon me for sounding a bit defensive, but it was not the process I suggested at the beginning of the thread that dumped Barnabas' e-mails. The process for moving your message store is a very simple one, and commonly done without problems. In fact, in Outlook Express Help, do a search for "change the location of your message store" and you will see the steps to do it. It is an easily performed and commonly accepted way to put your e-mails where you want them on your computer.

Thanks,

Jason

3. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Jason, do you have the reverse steps to this process? That is what I need now, for I have to undo what I have done, because it is growing out of proportions like a mushroom. How do I undo what I have done? How do I reverse the steps, for I do not wish to save my email folders in "My Documents." Do you have that instruction? [​IMG]

4. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

I have outlook express...I love it. But it seems Barnabas is going through a lot of unnecessary hassles. I just hit move to folder and it is there I have options to place my mail in a folder.

Sherrie

5. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Barnabas,

First of all, I'm really sorry that you are having to go through all this hassel. I'll give you the default location of the folder files. You must then go through the steps to change the location back to the default.

This is directly from OE Help:

To change the location of your message store

1. On the Tools menu, click Options, click the Maintenance tab, and then click Store Folder.
    2. Click Change, and then select a new folder for your message store

This is off microsoft's website:

By default, the Outlook Express mail and news folders are located in the following folders for the following Windows versions:
    Windows 95 or Windows 98
    Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Express

where Windows is the folder in which Windows 95 or Windows 98 is installed.
    Windows NT, and Windows 95 or Windows 98 with user profiles enabled
    Windows\Profiles\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Express

where Windows is the folder in which Windows is installed, and Username is the name you use to log on to Windows.

You may need to create a folder "Outlook Express" in:

C:\Windows\Profiles\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\

so you can change your message store to that location.

Also, if you don't use a username to log into Windows, then the folder will look like this:

C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft

and the default location for e-mail messages is:

C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Express

I'm really sorry, Brother Barnabas that things happened this way. I truly hope you get all your info back. It was not my intention to make things more difficult for anyone, I was just suggesting something I've done to make my computer life easier.

Jason :(

6. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

AWWWWWW...Jason, don't be upset...Barnabas is rich, he can just buy more stuff to make it ok. (snicker)

Now wipe that frown off your face, straighten yourself up, and take a deep breath, and go back in there, and see what you can do! After all...isn't that why they call you refreshed!

Cheer up!

Sherrie ;)

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also, Barnabas, if you're using WinXP, you can do one of those "restore" things that XP does...restore your computer to a previous configuration.

8. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

YES!!!!!!!!!!! There you go! I have Go back! I can go back to a different day. Oh Don, you are good.

Sherrie [​IMG]

9. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jason, thanks for giving the reverse instruction! It worked. Once again I am on the drivers' seat. [​IMG]

Now, when I will have some time to spare, I will search again for the missing files and this time I hope I will be able to rescue them without much difficulty. Thanks again! [​IMG]

Don, I have a Windows 98 operational system.

10. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

To find files:

Left click on start
    Click on search
    Click on all files and folders
    click on what size is it

Should say "look in: Local Hard drives"

"Dont remember"
    there should be 4 to pick...
    small
    medium
    large
    specify a size

Now click on each one to see if files are in any of these searches Take turns going to each one.

Sherrie