1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Question for Calvinist here

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by steaver, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    SolaSaint

Welcome back brother:wavey:

It's all good.....no damage:thumbs:

I prefer to have positive discussion. If they want to go this way....we can:thumbs:

God has blessed me more than I deserve. I trust you have been well in the providence of God and look forward to your imput on here as time permits:thumbs:

2. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    steaver

:laugh:
    they know I can handle the likes of you:laugh:

:laugh: it is clear to me they do not read your posts!

I always welcome biblical correction...Kyred, Biblicist, AA. , Rippon,Reformed, Con1, thousand hills, have offered some in the past.

because they do not comment you jump to conclusions,lol....
    The real silence if your failure to respond to the verses offered...here is another for you, then I will list them all together;

Jesus speaking about the elect seed of Abraham...to physical Jews, who are non elect...look at what he says to them, why they cannot understand-

39 They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham.

40 But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham.

41 Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God.

42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.

43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.
    44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

45 And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.

46 Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?

47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God

When my brothers speak scripturally I do not comment because I see that they have it covered.....think about that!

While you are doing all this thinking steaver, think about why in church history there is no confession of faith that agrees with your "ideas"...lol..
    also I do not see your "posse" showing up in force, unless you count DHK, in the light, and plain and simple...lol

3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is what I originally posted

I speak in general terms of "many" and "someone"...that is what I posted....

DHK said I said this;

I ask DHK to not do this specifically;

I was not speaking of every person, do not read that into my post.

Allow me to clarify

I offered this;
    You forget that at least 5 or 6 times I have asked you not to bear false witness, twist what I say, attempt to demonize me by taking a half quote of mine out of Context, and trying to make me say what I myself never said.

What does DHK do? in post 26

He tells and posts a deliberate falsehood, twisting what I said bearing false witness as he does quite often;

Here again..several posts later he does his evil deed;

also;
    I said many...and someone.....lol.....did not mention any group or individual....that comes from someones evil imagination.

#43 Iconoclast, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2014
  4. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There you have it camp Cal, brother Icon doubling down in his OP position. Are you reading these post? How long will you keep silent and let your fellow brother go on in his sin? Unless of course he is correct in that all of you believe the OP as he declares it to be....No TULIP belief....No sheep.

Page five now..........camp Cal is still in the woods........

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yes you said "someone." Your meaning was obvious, but now you are backtracking and trying to weasel out of what you said.
    Who was the someone or the group that the someone represented?
    Let's narrow it down by logic;

Did the someone mean you, Icon?
    Are you:
    "someone believes something in the strength of their own flesh does it mean it was a God-given understanding or saving understanding of divine truth."
    or, were you speaking of those that agree with you, your fellow Calvinists?
    then,
    the only logical conclusion is that you were speaking of me and other non-Cals. There is no "evil imagination" or intent, or lie, etc.
    You said what you said, and you meant it. Fess up!

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

It's a shame that so many are jumping on one Brother....and that one has thrashed them thoroughly...:D

Brother Iconoclast needs no backing...his accurate articulation of the scriptures is all he ever needs...:thumbs:

7. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Another drive by post with no comment on the OP............

Where oh where is the camp Icon says he has on his side on this OP?????????????

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Camp Icon's leader needs no help. He's thoroughly thrashed y'all all by himself...I'm lurking ready to pounce when you prove him wrong....I'll take me a nap...

9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK

Do not project your foul ideas on me. If I need to you be my spokesman I will ask you to. You say what you say...let me say what I say...I told you this perhaps 8 or 9 times now. I post within bb rules, unlike others here evidently.
    I do not need to. I stand by what I said. if you or anyone else offers biblical correction I will look and take it. if you, steaver, or plain and simple , in the light just accuse and cannot back it up...I do not accept it at all. I expose it like I am doing here...

Notice steaver is whining, and yet...he has not commented on any one of the verses I offered...Speak up Syeaver my friend, or are you waiting for DHK to do it for you?:laugh:
    It was....WHOSOEVER...could be a Mormon, could be a RC, a jW... a professed missionary, could be a legalist, could be a professed Cal, read what I posted...not what you think I might have meant..

DHK...no one is going to go back and read through several threads and follow in detail the conversation...it is boring to most people to do that, and they do not follow it.....I made a general comment and many times offer a general warning as Peter did, which you just brushed off without considering the text...let me help you once again, as this seems to evade your understanding... Did peter use specific names in the place or general warnings?

2 Peter 3 King James Version (KJV)

3 This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance:

He is writing to the elect..he calls them beloved of God
    2 That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour:

3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,

general....scoffers walking in their own lusts

4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.
    he tells us what they will say..in general terms..they question the second coming

5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:
    He in general terms describes them as willingly ignorant
    6 Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:

7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
    The elect
    9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
    The elect..us ward..those elected to salvation, then and in the future not one will perish...
    10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, the elect....
    12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
    the elect ..look for this..scoffers do not
    14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.
    The elect

15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood,

I believe this is election and predestination

which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

A general condemnation of those who are unable and unwilling to come to Divine truth..he writes it in general terms, but for sure these people exist, many in the churches, because he is warning the beloved brethren
    17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also,
    He is contrasting the elect, with the wicked still
    B] being led away with the error of the wicked[/B],

He calls those and refers to those who mock and scoff..as "the error of the wicked"
    fall from your own stedfastness.

18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

well your logical conclusion is between you and God, do not inflict it on me and the other cal brothers

it could be you have a guilty conscience having spoken evil of AL MOHLER..that also is between you and God.

You and other non cals are not immune from the scriptural warnings offered however...again you do not get a cookie for being a non cal.

You know what YOU WROTE AND YOUR INTENTIONS...that also is between you and God. The fact that you do this over and over, and over,,,is troubling however.

I do not back off what I posted at all. the key is...WHAT I POSTED...Not what you try and allege that I posted:thumbsup:

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I is simple Con 1...We use the scripture..if they slack from that to personal attack...they have no where else to go:thumbsup:

11. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is what Icon says in this instance "sin?"

Why is our silence considered to be agreement? That's a bit ridiculous, don't you think?

The Archangel

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As I said, I would hope that if one in your camp, or any Christian for that matter, was misrepresenting a position or scripture, you would be very quick to help that brother stop making such an abuse.

Icon says that the Calvinist camp agree with his comments and his scripture proof text which he gives for such comments. I have yet to see one other Calvinist chime in and declare Icon correct or incorrect. The closest we have to an agreement is Willis, but he agrees with everything Icon says and doesn't give it any consideration...if Icon says it is so, then it is Divine Truth.

13. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have not entered into you and DHK's thread within my thread. I am sticking with the OP like I asked everyone to do. Still waiting for the camp................:sleep:

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Mohler is not God. Why do you revere him as such? He is a man that has made some serious mistakes. He should be held accountable. The things I said, were not my words. I gave you the links and URL's of those men who said them. Blame them; I am the messenger. If his movement, that he founded is evil, then what does that make him. You tell me.
    I quoted you. Apparently you don't like to be quoted. You don't like to see your own words used against you. But you have no qualms either doing what Rippon does or enjoying what he does--pulling quotes out of context from more than ten years ago, as if that is going to prove anything today.
    I posted in quotes your exact words. They needed little interpretation.

BTW
    The OP is:
    Your words are nonsense. I, out of my own free will rejected Calvinism. The Holy Spirit enlightened my eyes to its errors.
    I am a Christian, one of the elect of God, and absolutely sure of my salvation. I am also sure that not everything in Calvinism is right. It is not a work of "Divine enablement" to receive error. :rolleyes:

#54 DHK, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2014
  15. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    Misrepresenting?

I might think that Icon gets it wrong--that he is mistaken--but "misrepresenting" is far too harsh of a word.

Icon is sharing his understanding which, IMO, is flawed for a number of reasons. However, there is a very low likelihood that he's intentionally seeking to lead people away from the truth.

Some, I'm sure, do agree with him. I'm one who does not.

Again, you're inferring WAY too much from silence. Just as you do not comment on every thread written by non-Calvinists, we do not comment on every Calvinistic thread. Contrary to popular caricatures, Calvinists don't have to comment or argue about everything.

But, to say that our silence is agreement would be like me seeing that you passed up an opportunity to comment on the heresy of open theism and, subsequently, accusing you of being in agreement with open theism because you made no comment against it.

The Archangel

16. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well, I never did say that the silence meant agreement, I was actually thinking that the silence meant non-agreement. But I am revisiting that assessment now that it has been so long and the camp isn't responding. Icon says they are not reading my post, but I think he knows better, he's just got a lot of pride built up in himself.

You do understand that by disagreeing with him on this, in his view, Matt 13 is at work on you?

So who is the true Calvinist then? Icon declares no belief in Calvinism/TULIP means no sheep! He gives Matt 13 and John 10 as proof text to support his declarations. You say you disagree. Both of you claim Calvinism. What is the official Calvinist view??? It can't be both can it??

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DHK, time to fess up. Retract what you have said. Acknowledge that you have sinned by saying things even your trashy articles have not stooped to say.

#57 Rippon, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2014
  18. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think is very presumptuous to say that he's "got a lot of pride..." You do not know his heart. Surely, you can offer your opinion on the matter, but you don't know his heart to charge him with sin.

The whole "eyes to see" and "ears to hear" thing specifically applies to making non-believers into believers.

It may or may not be proper to make application of that idea to progressive sanctification. There is, after all, a progressing and deepening insight into the text that the Holy Spirit gives us. However, to say that it HAS to be applied this way is, IMO, I stretch. I know very deep, erudite believers, whom I admire greatly who are not Calvinists. I don't think the text Icon cites should be applied as far as he thinks it might be.

But, ultimately, the meaning of the eyes-and-ears text is that our coming to Christ for salvation is a response to God's initiating work through the power of the Holy Spirit, rather than the initiation of God's work in our lives.

There's no real "official" view, right? Is there an official Arminian view? Of course not, for there are minor variants and major variants between different people based on how they read the text of Scripture.

This is the problem with both sides--the "Straw Man" argument. Many argue against a caricature of their opponents, rather than an accurate picture.

In all these "arguments," we ought to be searching to find the meaning of Scripture and having Scripture transform us, not us transforming the Scripture....

The Archangel

19. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm not sure why this is even called Calvinism/Arminianism Debate. Are there even any Arminians here?

But we most certainly do have declared Calvinist here, and it seems if one declares no belief in Calvinism/TULIP equals Matt 13 and John 10, and one says it does not, there is quite a disconnect going on within camp Calvinism.

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Steve... I am in the Biblicist camp....and I have Iconoclast on ignore so I cant very well make comment on his postings...but I will say this, that the man furvently believes what he posts. I can only imagine him sitting in his truck every day listening to his daily dose of "Sermon Audio ".... and that's not a bad thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.