1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A question for KJVO (not intended for bashing)

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by NateT, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Oh please! To claim that a Christian bookstore that sells non-KJV biblies is apostate, that's a little over the top, even for versionolaters.

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Oh please! To claim that a Christian bookstore that sells non-KJV biblies is apostate, that's a little over the top, even for versionolaters. </font>[/QUOTE][​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Censorship is the "burning" of all books that go against what YOU believe in.....PERIOD.

A KJVo would burn any and all Bibles that are not KJV. A non-KJVo would not burn any Bible.

4. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Phillip's quote reminded me of the spectacle that Jack Hyles put on at a Southwide Baptist Fellowship meeting in the mid-80's. Here's a link to a telling of the story:

http://www.kjvonly.org/gary/jack_hyles_abandons_pr.htm

Here's the story as it happened (as told in the above link):

Jack Hyles in 1985

At the annual meeting of the Southwide Baptist Fellowship in Chattanooga, Hyles took his King James Onlyism outside the walls of his church and expounded his new belief to a gathering of several thousand fundamental Baptists:

“What we ought to do is just get the Moffatt’s translation, and put on top of that the Goodspeed and the badspeed translation, and put on top of that the Good News For Modern Man, and put on top of that the Living Bible, and put on top of that the revised King James, and put on top of that the New Scofield, and underneath all of that some kindling wood, and SET ‘EM ON FIRE, AND GET BACK TO MAMA’S BIBLE!! MAMA’S BIBLE! You say, ‘You’re trying to divide the Southwide Fellowship.’ No I’m not. I’m trying to straighten out the Southwide Fellowship! I hold in my hand tonight the word of God [KJV]. If I didn’t think I did, I would not walk up here and preach. I would not do it, no way in the world. So while you’re rejoicing about the New Scofield and the New King James, your shouting is mingled with our tears because we remember the old one” (Hyles, “The Young People Shouted While The Old People Wept,” sermon delivered at the Southwide Baptist Fellowship, 1985, Highland Park Baptist Church, Chattanooga, Tennessee).

Rather than “straighten out the Southwide Fellowship,” it seems that it was Hyles’ sermon that got “straightened out” because when the Sword of the Lord later published it, all of Hyles’ above remarks were edited out! Remember, this was 1985, and the Sword at that time would not tolerate such obvious King James Only extremism.

Hyles has made an unfair and untrue inclusion of the NKJV and New Scofield Bible in a list with Good News For Modern Man and the Living Bible. However, the most disturbing and harsh statement of the above is Hyles calling for a Bible-burning. Hyles has uttered words far worthier of a Romanist than a Baptist! The remark of Miles Smith, one of the KJV translators, is much to the point here when he said that those who dared

“to burn the word translated, did no less despite the spirit of grace, from which it originally proceeded” (original preface of the KJV, 1611, “The Translators to the Reader”).

This is precisely what Jack Hyles is calling for: to burn the word translated. We are living in a day when a leading fundamentalist bearing the name “Baptist” advocates Bible-burning. What a sad, backwards, perverse, and ignorant spectacle this truly is! Jack Hyles could not have sounded any more like a Jesuit and far less like a Baptist than when he made these remarks.

“SET ‘EM ON FIRE!”---to burn the word translated---“SET ‘EM ON FIRE!”---does no less than despite the spirit of grace from which it originally proceeded.