1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Question for the Calvinist among us...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by DorthyMontine, Jun 8, 2006.

1. russell55

russell55 New Member

The acts they were doing were good in themselves. In other words, not stealing, for instance, is a good thing, so everytime someone doesn't steal, it's good. Everytime someone doesn't murder, it's good.

But they are not things of spiritual good, unless they were not stealing and not murdering for the right reason: out of love and service to God--Commandment #1.

And BTW, calvinists believe that spiritually dead people can and do perform acts of civil good. It's spiritual good that they can't do. They can't serve God because they love him, since their natural disposition is opposition to God.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes I do, and thank you, you proved my point very well.:applause:

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Great post. The calvinist does not want to believe the "natural man" can be anything besides an unregenerated person. You point this out to them, and you get accused of changing the context to fit your beliefs (I won't name names). The truth is, we ALL still have the "natural man" within us, but believers are given a new spirit, also.

4. DorthyMontine

DorthyMontine New Member

BD17

Hmm… the question that comes to my mind is: Why in the world was he ashamed of his nakedness to begin with? Was it because he now knew ‘good’ and ‘evil’. Was it because he now understood the consequences of his sin? I say, YES! Obviously, Adam had a conscious that was aware of both good and evil…both obedience and disobedience. And brother, he was hiding long before the skins of animals were wrapped around him! He was aware of sin, his sin. He was ashamed of it. He feared God because of it.

For me, this event in the garden right at the very beginning, proves that a man with a fallen sinful nature can and does know good and evil. I think it is wrong to say we inherited a sin nature from Adam and then try to make his sin nature different than ours, that just doesn’t jive.

russell55

Is this word play? ‘civil good’ & ‘spiritual good’ To obey your parents is a command from God. To do so, whether you are a saved person or a lost person is to do good. And that good is a spiritual good. Because ‘good’ and ’evil’ are truly spiritual conditions. To use the reasoning that a spiritually dead person can only do ‘civil good’ but not ‘spiritual good’ then one must also say a spiritually dead person can only do 'civil evil’, but not ’spiritual evil’… I doubt any Calvinist will say that. And in my opinion, this line of reasoning with ‘civil good’ and ‘spiritual good’ is not a ‘good’ one. :)laugh: Excuse the pun.)

NOW, I understand that his doing the good of obeying his parents has no redemptive value, I‘ll agree with that, because man is never saved by his works! But… can a man with a sinful nature make a conscious decision to do good… YES, I believe he can.

5. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Only those things which are done IN FAITH are pleasing to God and thus "good." All the rest is filthy rags in his sight. There is nothing in scripture which even comes close to suggesting that the fall made faith in God unattainable unless first regenerated. That doctrine is assumed and read into the texts.

6. Skandelon

Thank you. This point is vital to understanding the errors of Calvinistic dogma. I bought into Calvinism for many years but once these truths were made clear to me I realized the inherent errors of this system of thought.

7. Skandelon

Thank you. This point is vital to understanding the errors of Calvinistic dogma. I bought into Calvinism for many years but once these truths were made clear to me I realized the inherent errors of this system of thought.

8. BD17

BD17 New Member

Yes, and I bought into free-willism Arminism whatever you want to call it-ism, but once the TRUTHS of "calvinism" were made clear to me I realizeed the inherent errors of that system of thought.

Now who's right?

9. DorthyMontine

DorthyMontine New Member

You didn't ask me, but I say, Neither.

I reject them both, they were but men trying to figure out the mind of God! Though I can see some good teachings in both camps, yet I also find that both go to extremes in which the written Word of God does not. Some things are left to GOD ALONE! We are not Him!

Just call me a Christian, a disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ.

From what I have experienced, most Arminians have an easier time accepting that position than Calvinist do. Wonder why that is?

10. Skandelon

I suspect that one day God will gather us all up and explain everything in detail.

By the way, He has personally ask me to assist Him in this process! :laugh:

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Yea, I got the same calling Skandelon. :):laugh: :thumbs: :type: busy busy busy!!

12. BD17

BD17 New Member

That's funny... cause He asked me the same thing. Hmmmm... ;-)

13. Skandelon

Well, He had to have someone showing everyone how not to do it. :smilewinkgrin:

14. BD17

BD17 New Member

Glad you can accept your lot in life. Iit hurts less when you can admit your shortcomings doesn't it. It's okay skan God asked me to help you find your way back.

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

God help him.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

16. Salamander

Salamander New Member

By that estimation, Adam kept dying every year until the high priest atoned for the people's sins on Yom Kippur.:laugh:

And then what else you said is that Adam and Eve were redeemed by the blood of animals, better read the entire Book of hebrews again.

17. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Oh, please, now your gonna go and confuse the two as if they are even related to each other!:rolleyes:

18. russell55

russell55 New Member

To obey your parents as a lost person is not a righteous act, because truly righteous acts are only those done for right reasons. As skandelon mentioned, that means they must be done from faith, and a lost person is not acting in faith.

When a lost person obeys his parents, that's a good act in the sense that it's beneficial to himself and his parents and society--hence the term civil good. But it's not a righteous act, and hence not an act of spiritual good.

And when people say someone who is spiritually dead cannot do spiritual good, that's what they mean. That the spiritually dead person cannot be truly righteous and do truly righteous things, because to be truly righteous requires the power of the Holy Spirit, the power of the new creation, the power of new life.

19. russell55

russell55 New Member

Do you believe that people have true faith apart from the power of the Holy Spirit? Both before and after the fall?

20. Skandelon

No. Not "apart from the power of the Holy Spirit." But, Russell, what is the power of the Holy Spirit?

Options:
    1. An irresistable inward working never expounded upon in the scripture.

OR

2. The powerful Holy Spirit inspired gospel of truth which is spoken of consistently through the scripture as the "power of God unto Salvation" and working like a "double edged sword cutting body and soul."

I think Calvinist have underestimated the power of God's word. Jesus called his words "spirit and life." And yet Calvinists assume that his words alone are insufficient to enable faith. Paul says, "Faith comes by hearing," yet Calvinists insist faith comes by hearing only if one is regenerated first. Our new birth is spoken of as coming through the message of truth. We are born again through the word of God.