1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A question of authority

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Watermaker, Nov 30, 2010.

1. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Why do you continue to ignore the questions about whether you are a Baptist?

Are you a Baptist?

Do you attend a Baptist church?

If you do attend a Baptist church, do they adhere to the same doctrine you do?

2. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Simply view his profile. He belongs to church of Christ.

Enuff said.

You're just feeding a troll, matt.

3. matt wade

Zenas' profile lists that he is a Baptist and attends a church with the acronym FBC (which one usually thinks the BC is Baptist Church).

I know the original poster is church of Christ, now I'm wondering about Zenas.

4. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I disagree with your assessment of these verses. Yes, I am a member of a Southern Baptist church, a very old one at that. It was established in the first half of the 19th Century. I attend regularly and contribute heavily. No, my beliefs aren't very baptistic but I stay there because it's comfortable. Like I said in an earlier post and have often said on this board, our members aren't much into doctrine. Even a majority of our deacons could not tell you what our statement of faith says. As for CoC, I know a lot about them. They are very prominent in this part of the country. But surely you couldn't have read my posts over the years and think I am CoC. If you go back and do a careful search, you will find that on one or two occasions I have taken issue with their position on musical instruments.

#44 Zenas, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2010
  5. preacher4truth

An hour or so ago, it said church of Christ.

He changed it. I just checked, and he's covering his truth. And his tracks. Most cultic groups do these things.

6. matt wade

Yesterday it said Baptist. It may be that you were looking at the original poster and not Zenas. I've looked at Zenas' profile in the past and it has said Baptist as well.

7. matt wade

Sounds like you have a church there that will be spewed out.

8. preacher4truth

I stand corrected and apologize.

However, his doctrine is not Baptistic.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Not very many Baptists that I know would believe that either.
    You have a hard time convincing me you are a Baptist.

10. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I lean Amil. I believe in two judgements one at the moment of death which determines your eternity and a general judgement at the consumation of all things. I don't buy into the whole rapture thing. Yet, I'm not the only baptist I know who believes in like manner to me regarding this matter.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Then what are they into?? :rolleyes:
    That is not such a big issue. Spurgeon and Wesley wouldn't allow instruments into their churches either. That is minor compared to:
    1. Baptismal regeneration.
    2. Salvation by works.
    3. Belief in only one general resurrection for all.

All of the above three positions are heretical.

12. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What do you mean by your third point? I might take issue with it depending on what you say.

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Apart from your eschatology one cannot ignore Scripture. Here are just some of the judgements mentioned in Scripture:

1. The judgement of angels
    2. The judgement of the righteous.
    3. The judgement of the unrighteous.
    4. The judgement of the nations

Those are four to start with. There may be more that I haven't thought of.

14. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You're funny. A lot of those are overlapped in the consumation of all things or General Judgement.

Angles have nothing to do in regard to our soteriology. Thus Angles have been judged and will be judged at the consumation of all things. As far as the Judgement of the righteous and the unrighteous every man is judged at death and then the general judgement which includes the nations. There are not 4 seperate judgments but 4 seperate dispensing of judgement. Thus the unrighteous and the righteous are both judged at death and then the general judgement where the unrighteous are condemened to the 2nd death and the Just are rewarded with rewards. The nations fall into the last consumation or general judgement as well. These aren't 4 seperate events.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation. (John 5:28-29)

Jesus never spoke of one resurrection; he spoke of two:
    1. A resurrection for them that have done good--unto the resurrection of life, and
    2. A resurrection for them that have done evil--unto the resurrection of damnation.

No passage of Scripture could be any clearer than this one.
    The hour that is to come simply refers to a period of time, not a specific hour. There is a time coming when...there will be two resurrections. It is Scripture, the teaching of Christ.

16. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    All this shows is that during one resurection both types of people are raised. Not two resurrections. I think the verse is very clear here. Note "all" that are in their graves. 2 dispensing of judgement 1) eternal reward and 2) eternal damnation. But both are raised. 1 ressurection here.

1 resurrection 2 dispensing of judgement.
    No passage of Scripture could be any clearer than this one.
    The hour that is to come simply refers to a period of time, not a specific hour. There is a time coming when...there will be two resurrections. It is Scripture, the teaching of Christ.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It speaks of two resurrections. Two separate times--not one general resurrection. If Jesus meant one general resurrection he would have said that but he didn't. He mentioned and stated two distinct separate resurrections for two distinct separate people--just and unjust.

He repeated the same elsewhere:
    And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.
    2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
    3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.
    4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
    5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
    6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
    7 And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, (Revelation 20:1-7)

There is the first resurrection--vs. 6: Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection. It takes place first--a thousand years before the second resurrection.

There is the second resurrection:
    And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. (Revelation 20:11-15)
    Note in verse six that those in the first resurrection, the second death has no power.
    Those in the second resurrection, which happens a thousand years later appear here before the Great White Throne Judgment. Many times is the "thousand years" used stressing that this is no allegorical number but an actual period of time in the future of mankind. Two resurrections separated by a thousand years.
    BTW, John wrote this book as well as the Gospel of John, both of which speak of these same resurrections.

18. billwald

billwald New Member

>A work is anything that you believe you need to do on your own. Jesus already accomplished everything necessary for your salvation.

Then "inviting/accepting" Jesus is a work and an alter call is satanic. This is a logical conclusion of the above statement.

19. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Your applying two different passages and trying to combine them into one thing. In the passage of revelation its speaks of the Martyrs who judge which is not the judgement of god btw but of the Martyrs
    This judgement is in the sense of governance. And as far as two ressurections there is just one. but there are two destinations. 1) to heaven 2) to damnation.

20. billwald

billwald New Member

>Originally Posted by matt wade
    >Why do you continue to ignore the questions about whether you are a Baptist?

>Are you a Baptist?

>Do you attend a Baptist church?

>If you do attend a Baptist church, do they adhere to the same doctrine you do?

These are impolite and improper questions in this section because all Christians are invited to respond in this section of the website. Note the title: Christian DEBATE Forums (All Christians) > Other Christian Denominations