1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A question re: NIV/TNIV - for a member.

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by BruceB, Aug 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BruceB

BruceB New Member

Rippon,
    I have followed your postings comparing the various translations with interest - (i.e., the current ESV - HCSB thread). I have learned something from each one you post. I know you have read/used/advocated for the TNIV and I have not touched it yet. However, I am an avid reader of the NIV - I am wondering how much difference there is between the two and if you have done one of your comparisons as yet? Are the two so close as not to be worth reading the TNIV (if you use the NIV) or are the differences great enough to consider the TNIV a totally different translation and one targeted to a different segment of the Bible market? I know the NIV was targeted to the evangelical market after the RSV fell short in certain translation choices, what about the TNIV? I am aware of what the publisher claims, but while I like to see what a publisher states, it can also be subject to positioning for market share - independent opinion is what I am after. I have no real desire to change to the TNIV (in fact for 2007 I have decided to use the NASB as my primary translation) but I am really curious as to what you think as one who has actually read the TNIV.
    Regards,
    Bruce

Title edited to comply with BB rule forbidding use of member's names in titles

#1 BruceB, Aug 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2006
  2. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    IBS: TNIV : Passages explained

If you select the "All Passages" option in the "Select Passages" drop down menu, you can see the primary differences between the TNIV and NIV with explanations for those differences. I consider to the two translations to be virtually the same although I have not used the TNIV very much.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had asked someone on the TNIV website about what percentage of changes were made from the NIV O.T. to the TNIV O.T. No definitive answer was forthcoming . So a couple months ago I did a little digging in Proverbs and Psalms .

The changes were anywhere from slight to significant . By slight I mean instead of "upon" the word "on" is now used . Most of the changes are minor . I misplaced my notes from some of the chapters on Proverbs . I can get more detailed at a future time .

Chapter 17 -- 22 out of 28 verses have been changed ( I'll just use 22/28 to signify )

Chapter 18 -- 20/24
    Chapter 19 -- 22/29
    Chapter 20 -- 18/30
    C. 21 -- 18/31
    C. 22 -- 20/29
    C. 23 -- 13/35
    C. 24 -- 22/34
    C. 25 -- 19/28
    C. 26 -- 22/28
    C. 27 -- 19/27
    C. 28 -- 26/28
    C. 29 -- 21/27
    C. 30 -- 16/33
    C. 31 -- 8/31

I do remember that altogether ( with the missing first 16 chapters taken into consideration ) the pecentage of change was about 60% . But , again , the "changes" range from insignificant to major -- most were minor .

For the Psalms :

Ps. 1 - 4/6
    2- 9/12
    3- 5/8
    4- 8/8
    5- 9/12
    6- 7/10
    7- 13/17
    8- 7/9
    9- 15/20
    10 - 16/18
    11- 3/7
    12 - 8/8
    13- 3/6
    14- 5/7
    15- 5/5
    16- 8/16
    17- 12/15
    18- 18/50

I realize that a lot of you are focused on the NT changes , but the revisors did a lot more revision in the OT .

4. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

GD,

Great post. I looked up the difference between the two on Hebrews 2:7.
    TNIV claims that this passage is not messianic. I think that it is.

Yes, son of man in Hebrew refers generically to human beings, but the writer of Hebrews is applying it to Jesus. TNIV says that the writer isn't. So we disagree. I would rather know that the text says "son of man" and then let me wrestle with what that means then having the TNIV decide that for me.

It is enough of a difference that I will continue to use the NIV, though in places the NIV could have used words that were more inclusive because the Hebrew/Greek text allows for it.

But I grew up with the generic he and don't know why we have to change that now. Nothing throws me off more than when a writer uses "she" and I'm thinking "a woman" only to find out later that what the writer meant was he or she. ugh!

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't want anyone to get the idea that the TNIV uses the word "she" in that manner . When "she" is used it always refers to a female only .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.