1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A question

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by johnnyfrey12, Mar 16, 2007.

1. johnnyfrey12

johnnyfrey12 New Member

My fiance` and I were discussing earlier tonight the Bible. She sometimes has trouble with certain parts in the Bible and I wanted to get some of those cleared up. Such as, why does it seem like God "changed" from the OT to the NT? Did he have a change of mind? And the verse in I believe one of the Corinthians were Paul says that women should "submit to their husbands," because they are "head of the household,"are we to take that as women are subserviant to man? What are we to say about relationships were the man is not the head of the household? Is that marriage unBiblical? I said that Paul was mostly writing that to the people of his time period, and that perhaps it's not really meant to be taken as heavily in today's world. But she, countered with, "well how do we decide then what to take as relevant to today, and what not to?" The girl's smart. I couldn't really give her an answer. So what do yall think?:tonofbricks:

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Where there are two heads you have a monstrosity. Where there are no heads you have a dead animal.

Someone must take the leadership role.

Scripture is ful of ways to live out the Christian faith. For the wife to submit to her husband's leadership means she willingly yields herself to him. That does not mean in doing so she is willing to violate the Bible's commands. By a wife submitting she is showing her love for her husband. A wife that does not submit to his leadership wil cause nothing but trouble in the marriage relationship and relationships with the children.

A man who does not love his wife sets the marriage relationship up for trouble. A man who does not love his wife does not put her before himself. He does not count her as more important than himself as Christ did.

Marriage is not about changing the other person or hoping that the person will change. It is about accepting the other person. Loving the other person is about helping them and serving them in such a way that they are better off for being around you and they are a better perosn because of your encouragement.

So many marriages I have seen breaking up are about the man not being a leader and the woman not be submissive and each other bullying the other.

3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is kind of hard to respond if you don't say exactly how you believe God has changed.

I'll take a guess that it is the same old question that accuses God of being the God of fire, brimstone, and wrath in the Old Testament; but the God of Love in the New Testament.

If that is the question, then I say God has not changed at all. You can see plenty of the mercy and Love of God in the Old Testament, and plenty of the wrath of God in the New Testament.

One other thing, however. Many Christians hold to the doctrine of "progressive revelation". That is, God did not reveal Himself fully at any one point in history, until He revealed Himself in Jesus Christ.

Prior to that revelation, God revealed certain aspects of His nature at various times. He is the "Creator God in Genesis" and remains so. He adds to that revelation that He is the Covenant God with Abraham. He adds to that the revelation that He is the God of Redemption and Salvation with Moses and the deliverence of the Hebrews from Eygpt.

Each revelation is progressive, in that we learn more about God. The final, complete revelation of God is found in the person of Jesus Christ.

Probably it is best to search the archives on this question. It has been debated many times.

peace to you:praying:

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

A wife submitting to her husband does not mean she is inferior to him, or less them him in anyway. God has set a certain order for things, one of those is for the husband to be the head, and the wife to submit. He is not a dictator, that she must bow to his every whim. The husband is responsable for being a godly man, to love his wife. A christian woman submits to her husband not becasue he is more or better then her, but out of love for God. I heard it said, biblical submission is one equal submitting to another equal for God's glory.

5. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

The best answer to any Bible question is always "if the Bible says it then do it" no matter what. God never changes. His Word found in our Bible is just as true for us today as it was for those in that day. The truth will set you free. Just pick up your Bible, read it, believe it, and live it. I was discussing a certain passage of scripture with a friend one day and she asked me what I thought of women preachers, well I gave her two very clear passages that dealt with the subject. She did not like the very clear passages and she then asked me if I believed that it was wrong for a woman to braid her hair since it is mentioned in 1 Peter chapter 3. I do not believe that the passage is teaching that it is wrong for a woman to braid her hair, but I didn't tell her that. My answer to her was "If the Bible teaches that it is wrong for a woman to braid her hair, then it is wrong for a woman to braid her hair." This is the attitude we must have when reading the Word of God. If Gods Word teaches that it is wrong for me to wear a striped shirt then it is wrong for me to wear a striped shirt. No matter how we feel about what we read in the Bible it should be taken and applied to our lives in a real and literal way.

6. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    marriage is a partnership. the husband not above his wife, the wife not above the husband.
    certain issues will arise during the course of a marriage, issues which needs to be discussed, intelligently, calmly, and scripturally, by the married couple.
    the wife is free to give her side of the issue, and to offer her solutions, and the husband, on the other hand, is to discuss this solution with his wife, pros and cons, and offer a counter-solution, if necessary.
    now, the wife's may be more viable, and it shouldn't hurt the man's ego to adopt that solution, but, if he does not, and decides on a route, then that's it.
    sorry for the long example, but the long and short of it, i guess, is man's responsibility before God is greater than the woman's, and for that reason she must be willing to submit to him.
    the man is responsible for the spiritual welfare of his family, that is, he pastors the family. and if the wife is a child of God as well, then she must understand that harmony is important.
    on the other hand, know for a certainty that the Bible speaks of the husband loving his wife as well, and by extension that means treating her with affection, respect, and courtesy befitting an equal before God. his word is NOT the law, God's word is, and for as long as he follows Christ, then the wife should follow the husband.

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Personally, my wife :love2: has always been willing and even tries to let me have her way, and I'm always willing and try to let her have my way, as well. :smilewinkgrin:

It sure seems (to me at least) to work a lot better than :BangHead:

:thumbsup:

Ed

8. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have tassels on your coats?

Do you have a wall or handrail around the edge of your roof?

If you had a son and he was rebellious, could you bring him to the elders of your community so that they could stone him to death?

If someone tried to break into your house and you got into a fight and this guy was brutally attacking you and trying to hurt you and your wife, then not knowing what else to do, she grabs him by the crotch and squeezes to try to make him stop... would you cut off your wife's hand?

WHY NOT??? Deuteronomy tells us to do these things and more. Don't say that kind of stuff unless you're ready to practice what you preach.

9. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

This shows a complete lack of understanding of what was said or it may be one is unwilling to submit to it. Either way it lacks appropriatness.

10. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The poster simply believes that even today, the bible should be followed word for word, literally, no matter how crazy it may sound. I was simply giving some good examples of just how crazy it can get. I seriously, seriously doubt that anybody here would ever follow those things, and we'd probably end up in prison if we did in fact follow them, so I don't know why somebody could say that we ought to do these things without question.

Deuteronomy 25:11 - If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, 12 you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity.

Deuteronomy 21:18 - If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, 19 his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. 20 They shall say to the elders, "This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard." 21 Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you.

So, keeping those verses in mind, do you really think this statement is appropriate?

"No matter how we feel about what we read in the Bible it should be taken and applied to our lives in a real and literal way."

If this guy really means what he says, then he'd stone his son to death in a heartbeat, and cut off his wife's hand. I doubt he would. So why even say that?

#10 corndogggy, Mar 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2007