1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Question

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

DHK, thank you for the explanation. I was not aware of the changes the board has gone through, and it was indeed interesting to read about them.

Let me ask you a question. If I were to ask someone, that might in fact hold to ME, a question that pertains to the way he or she feels on an issue, and they were to reply stating how they felt ,which in turn involvied them explaining their ME position, will the Board or you as a moderator see that as the ‘promoting' of their views? What I am asking, is what, to the moderators and the Board, constitutes ‘promoting’ ones views on a debate discussion list of ‘Other Denominations?’

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Here is a very good link to anyone interested in learning more about the ME doctrine:
    http://www.middletownbiblechurch.org/doctrine/hodgesas.htm

HP, as you have probably observed we discuss many doctrines, some of which may be considered heretical to some, and many of which have opposing view points. The ME "heresy" probably would have survived if it had been confined down to this forum where we are much more tolerant of a more diverse spectrum of beliefs. But they are Baptists that were posting, and most of their posts were in Baptist forums. That was part of the problem.
    Here we discuss Catholic doctrine, Charismatic doctrine, SDA doctrine, and sometimes other controversial issues. I have no problem discussing the issue. I have no problem discussing the doctrines of the RCC. But I do have problems with the RCC apologists coming on this board and trying to recruit people to their Church. I do resent them using this board as an advertising agency for their church. Their is a difference between honest debate and pushing one's agenda. The reason why there are still a couple of Catholics left on the board is because they don't push "the agenda" of the RCC, as so many in the past have done.
    We can discuss or debate almost any issue, as long as it remans civil, and the discussion is based on the Word of God.

3. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Actually the ME doctrine has been discussed extensively here in this forum without any rebuke from the moderators. I appreceate this because I believe it has exposed the obvious blantant errors it consist of.

I would say that if it goes unrefuted that might cause some to waver in their faith, but at least so far it has been thoroughly debunked as it comes up here.

I do notice that these few who hold to this heresy try to pull aside would be victums in an attempt to discuss the issue privately. I believe this shows a desire to propagate their beliefs one poor sheep at a time without the watchful eyes of the entire flock of believers here to point out their errors. I don't like these invitations to discuss it apart from our group, this sounds decietful and wolfish. If they have something to say about it they should bring it before the entire flock. But they know this flock is to well versed to let the pointed details slide.

I am satisfied that this doctrine has been examined and defeated at least in this forum and if it comes up again we will be ready to beat it down with God's word once again.

Once again, I love the debate on it, but the invitations for private indoctrination causes me to raise an eyebrow. It smells wolfish. If a doctrine is of God then it should hold up just fine in the majority of the flock. Attempts to draw sheep away one by one sounds very suspicious.

God Bless! :thumbsup:

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The strength of ME is that it is trying to solve problems for OSAS that the OSAS-debunking threads keep referencing. It has the ability to grap new converts by simply convincing them of the fact that the OSAS-debunking texts of scripture can not be washed away and downsized the way that the OSAS group wished.

But rather than taking the course of simply dumping the false doctrine of OSAS - the ME group invents "purgatory".

An option that is worse than OSAS in my view because they cling to BOTH OSAS and purgatory -- which is an error that neither Catholics nor the classic OSAS group goes to.

in Christ,

Bob

5. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: I appreciate this explanation. I can see totally why it would not be proper to go to areas of this site that specifically are used for in-house discussions among those that should basically agree with one another. I can see the wisdom in that. I also sincerely appreciate the willingness of this board to tolerate opposing views in this section. If we are all honest before God, God will use this area for His purposes.

As a member of this board, I do understand that it is a great privilege and not a right, to be part of this forum. I trust my conduct will always reflect that and Christian charity.

6. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree with this much (assumed problems I would add), however OSAS needs no "problem solving" in my findings over ten years of study on this topic.

God Bless!:thumbsup:

7. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: You wouldn’t by chance be studying Scripture wearing a pair of those OSAS 'positional only' sunglasses like the ones designed to keep God from seeing who we really are could you? :)

8. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So then.... "those threads don't exist"??:saint:

Or maybe you are saying that the OSAS POV on those threads is not struggling at all to answer the hard questions coming out of that list of texts (Matt 18, Ezek 18, John 15, Rom 11, 2Peter 2:20-22...etc)?

But going back to the point - I would argue that the ME group appears to be saying that the "does not exist" answer that many in the OSAS camp try to use with those texts is failing to such a degree even with some in the OSAS group that they are trying to come up with "another solution" and in doing so have gone from bad to worse because they "invent purgatory" to get out of the problem. And I think we all agree that that is not a go-forward solution but rather it is a huge step backwards.

in Christ,

Bob

#8 BobRyan, Sep 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2007