A Quiz

Discussion in 'Bible Versions/Translations' started by Rippon, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Rippon

Rippon
    Expand Collapse

We are already familiar with the "Breeches Bible" and possibly the "Wicked Bible" . Who can tell me from what Bible version or wrongly worded text do these titles come from ? : The "Bug Bible" , the "Wife-beating Bible" and the "Unrighteous Bible " ?

#1 Rippon, Apr 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2007
  2. Rippon

Rippon
    Expand Collapse

There isn't a title for this one , but in one edition of the KJV it says the following for Psalms 119:161 : Printers have persecuted me without cause .

3. HankD

HankD
    Expand Collapse

Bug Bible - Miles Coverdale 1535 Psalms 91:5 Thou shall not nede to be afrayed for eny bugges by night.

HankD

4. EdSutton

EdSutton
    Expand Collapse

5. Rippon

Rippon
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Ed , for that link .

I had forgotten about this thread , even though I started it !

The "Wife Beating Bible" was a KJV which had a note at 1 Peter 3 . Here is what it said : If she be not obedient and helpfull unto hym [ he ] endeavoureth to beate the feare of God into her heade , that thereby she maye be compelled to learne her dutie , and to do it .

The "Wicked Bible" came out in 1631 . The 7th commandment was worded in part : Thou shalt commit adultery .

The "Unrighteous Bible" came out in 1653 . In 1 Corinthians 6:9 it goes ; The unrighteous shall inherit the kingdom of god .

#5 Rippon, Apr 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2007
  6. Rippon

Rippon
    Expand Collapse

What was the first authorized English Bible ? Okay , how about the 2nd Authorized Bible ? Do any of you KJVO-types consider any other versions in other languages "Authorized " ? What do you mean by "authorized " ? Is there an earthy order for some Bibles to read in the churches ? Is an edict from an ancient king still binding on us Americans in the 21st century ? Will my questions never end ?

7. David Lamb

David Lamb
    Expand Collapse

There is a title for it. You'll never guess :) It's "The Printers' Bible".

Another I know of (as there is a copy in an Anglican parish church building in a village near me) is the "Vinegar Bible" (1717) which has "The parable of the vinegar" (instead of vineyard) as a paragraph heading Luke 20.

8. HankD

HankD
    Expand Collapse

On the frontispiece or the Title page of the 1611 First Edition AV were words to the effect: "authorized to be read in the churches".

Perhaps the Bishop's Bible and/or the Great Bible were also authorized to be read in the churches.

I don't know for sure but I think King James didn't want any "un-authorized" Bibles used in the Church of England local churches (Duoay-Rheims, Geneva, etc) hence the phrase "authorized to be read in the churches".

HankD

9. robycop3

robycop3
    Expand Collapse

The first officially-authorized English BV was the "Great Bible", named for its physical size(over 14 " tall), which was meant to be placed on lecterns...a "table edition" It was made by Myles Coverdale & Thomas Cranmer at the behest of Henry VIII & authorized by that king in, I believe, 1539.(Anyone knowing otherwise please correct me.)

Henry also made the British monarch titular head of the Church of England, an office which continues to this day. Although no official record has been found indicating KJ authorized the AV1611, the words "by his Majestie's special command" & "appointed to be read in churches" would hardly have appeared on its title page without the king's say-so. I don't think there's any doubt that KJ VERBALLY authorized the 1611.

10. Rippon

Rippon
    Expand Collapse

I recently borowed a book called : "Summon's Bible Miscellany" Compiled by Parminder Summon . It has some fascinating facts . It lists a number of printing errors ( or other mistakes ) in several Bible editions . I'll stick with examples from the KJV . This time tell me the verse which was wrongly worded .

Pilate's tile Bible ( 1612 )
    Praise Bible ( 1613 )
    No Blame Bible ( 1632 )
    Religious Bible (1637 )
    Forgotten Sins Bible ( 1638 )
    Vexing Wives Bible ( 1638 )
    Subtle Servant Bible ( 1640 )
    Flesh Killer Bible (1648 )
    No Miracle ( 1658 )
    Cannibals Bible (1682 )
    Not Servants Bible ( 1698 )
    Profit Bible ( 1711 )
    Avenging Obedience Bible ( 1745 )
    Child-killer Bible (1795 )

The website Ed referred to also listed the "Owl Husband Bible" of 1944 .

11. JFox1

JFox1
    Expand Collapse

That's a good thing to know! I don't have a high opinion of bugges any way. :thumbs:

12. Rippon

Rippon
    Expand Collapse

Look At Post

Bump . Answer the questions

13. EdSutton

EdSutton
    Expand Collapse

Why take the time?? :BangHead: :type:

The link can tell you what you are seeking, in most of these instances, I believe. I simply have neither the desire, not the free time, to "reinvent the wheel", personally, and please do not take that as any 'dig', for it is not intended as such.

I do know I'd like to have some of these rare Bibles, kinda' like I'd like to have a Luther Bible, with the personal notes of Martin Luther, even though I cannot read one word of German. And something so rare and valuable, would have to be kept in climate controlled conditions to avoid further deterioration, and under lock and key in a vault somewhere, to keep it from "sprouting legs", somehow, as well.

Not nearly as practical as my own NKJV with a hardback cover, that if something were to happen to it, I'd only be set back 100 bucks, at most, to replace it. But one could say they possesssed one, for a time.

Ed

#13 EdSutton, Jul 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2007
  14. Rippon

Rippon
    Expand Collapse

Ed , your link had no references to any of the 14 examples I gave . I am covering new ground here . But , still , perhaps no one will want to till it .

15. EdSutton

EdSutton
    Expand Collapse

I didn't realize you were referring to other editions, but merely assumed you had gotten few responses, and did not read the additional post.

Sorry!

But I'm still not hunting any of this up, at least not tonight.

Ed