1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A rant about worship songs

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by annsni, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Define "girly girly". Just because a song is soft, and makes you cry, that is not "girly girly".

Are there hymns about pink bows and dresses that I am not aware of?

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You stated my point well. I think too often too much emphasis is placed on everything else except where it should be. The emphasis should be on God and having an intimate relationship with Him.

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow. Now there is the post of the week!:thumbs:

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What on God's green earth does that mean?

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

If only we could remember that the definition of 'worship' is 'to ascribe worth'- it's not about our feelings- it is about HIM.

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Amen!:wavey:

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Obedience to the living God as His servants.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that is manifest in worship service how?

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

In an American or NT context?

10. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

I see the basic differance between todays worsip music and the worship music of the past in light of Romans 1:25. The music of the past was more Creator honoring while today tends to honor the creation. the blue skys, the babbling brooks and the green trees. In addition today there is more "I," "me" or "us".

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Did you read the link in the OP??? You might want to.

Oh and as for the blue skies, babbling brooks and the green trees - you mean like "This is My Father's World" that is almost 110 years old?? :)

#51 annsni, Sep 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2010
  12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a Christian context.

13. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I don't like repetition in "worship music" like what you all are discussing here. It reminds me of the mantra music of the Buddhists and other
    types of religions that try to bring the worshipper into a trance state.

I found an interesting webpage that discusses this. DISCLAIMER: I do
    not necessarily endorse this, I am just offering a link here for your perusal.

http://www.oldtruth.com/blog.cfm/id.2.pid.938

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

So you do not sing the hymn, then..."Blessed Be the Name of the Lord"?

That's repeated 32 times in 4 verses.

Must be Buddhist.

Please list all the repetitive, Buddhist Psalms that you don't read or enjoy as well.

Talk about weak arguments...that one's comatose.

15. Peggy

Peggy New Member

It's not the repetition of the chorus that gets me so much as repeating the same song over and over and over and over for 10 minutes.

16. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'm OK with questions of preference (liking one way of singing versus another).

I have a real problem with the questioning of worship's validity (and the insinuation of false worship) based on how many times something is repeated (something Scripture itself does!)

17. Peggy

Peggy New Member

No one is saying that it is false worship to repeat a song or chorus over and over. What it does show is a lack of creativity of the worship/song leader. If a song has a repeating chorus, let's not repeat the repeating song over and over. Is that too much to ask? Intersperse that song with songs that don't repeat. And move on to the next one.

18. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

In my opinion the "problems" presented in the opening post are 100% devoid of merit...in every way.

I have such sorrow for these poor, legalistic, narrow minded ones who bring accusations like this against contemporary praise and worship music. (and dance in worship)

Just pitiful.

19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Hmmm, I grabbed my ole Great Hymns Of The Faith and there's about 26 hymns beginning with "I". On just the first two pages 12 (rough count) song titles include the word "me", and one with "us" (but then again that's just the first two pages)- Sufficient to give lie to THAT theory.

O, yes, there are about 35 songs that start with "O" or "Oh".

None that start with "La", though. :laugh:

20. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think most adults are smart enough to know that having the words me or I or my in a song doesn't mean it is me-centered.

There certainly is a place for songs testifying to what God has done for us.

There is a place for songs testifying to our response, our appreciation, etc.

But c'mon, we all know that SOME of both the old and new songs are just focused on the worshipper--sort of "God, I'm so good and I love you so much and I will never ever fail you."

Yeah, right, ask Peter how that worked for him.

As to repetition--there is a huge difference between a repeated theme--like the Psalm with "His mercy endures forever" and using repetition to induce a trance like state.

And yes, I've been in Baptist churches where the latter was exactly what was happening.

I suggest, whatever genre we use, we watch ourselves. If what we are doing loses something with our eyes open, chances are it is having a mind altering effect. (Note I did not say never close your eyes while you sing. I said try what you are doing with eyes open. Try sitting still. Yes, sitting, so you get plenty of blood to the brain. This is just an experiment.) If it still moves you right up to the Throne, praise Him! If not, try a different genre.

And listen to the words. If it exalts Him, wonderful. If it is all about your passion (not His) and your love (not His) and your faithfulness (not His) try a different genre.

One good experiment is to try using the music (whatever the genre) hymn sandwich style for a while. Stand, sit, sing one song, pray, whatever, but break up the supposed flow. If the song can handle that, chances are its a keeper. But if it ONLY seems to be good if everyone stands for a long time, sings for a long time, and especially if it only is "good" at the end of that time and with dimmed lights, might want to junk it.

Whether it was written in 1560, 1950, or yesterday.