1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A rather stupid question, But here goes...:

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by MatthewHenry, Dec 9, 2005.

1. MatthewHenry

MatthewHenry New Member

Quoting from the Bible:

Okay, guys... here is the question, I had a guy at our Church try and tell me, that the scripture above basically is saying that, unless I am married with Children, I cannot be a Pastor of a Church. Is this true? I've heard of Pastors of Baptist Churches not being married. or is this guy full of hot air, I believe the Lord has called me to Preach and Teach the Word of the Lord. and I am 33 years old, and I am not married, nor have I any Children. does this keep me from becoming a Pastor? or no?

Opinions Please... Not wishing to start a debate now, I just want some other opinions.

For the Record, I more than likely would NOT accept a Pastorite of a Church, being unmarried, as it is quite dangerous, But is that supposed to be a "hard and fast" rule? or was Paul mearly saying, if you are married, have one wife, and if you have children, let them be under subjection. :confused:

Again, Opinions and thoughts, Please.

Blessings in the Name of Christ, our Lord and Risen Saviour.

Matthew Henry
    A Pastor to Be!

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to believe that Paul was saying you can only have one wife, not two or more, rather than that you have to be married to be a pastor.

Consider that Paul himself started many churches, and so he himself had to pastor, considering that you can't plant a church without pastoring it.

Having said that, I think it would be very difficult to pastor long-term being a single man. The idea of a single man (other than Paul writing inspired Scripture, of course) teaching people how to have a Biblical family doesn't fly very well.

And that is my two denarii. [​IMG]

3. MatthewHenry

MatthewHenry New Member

Agreed. Anyone else? :D

4. cojosh

cojosh New Member

I agree with John of Japan. {SNIP}

[ December 15, 2005, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: TomVols ]

5. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I tend to disagree, I think one should be married with children to pastor. I am not thoroughly convinced on the children part because some families are not able to have children. The qualifications in Timothy and Titus are clear. Most of the times, though, people focus on the marriage/divorced aspect of the qualifications and ignore the rest.

There is no indication that Paul was the pastor of the churches he planted. Spiritual mentor certainly, but not necessarily pastor.

6. WHYME

WHYME New Member

I have to believe that Paul was saying you can only have one wife, not two or more, rather than that you have to be married to be a pastor.

Not important what you think "he meant". What did he say?

7. Brother Ian

{SNIP}

There is another thread on the issue of marriage and divorce for a pastor.

[ December 15, 2005, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: TomVols ]

8. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

In Corinthians Paul praised the men and women who could contain their sexual appetites for being able to serve God (better) more whole heartedly. I do not believe Paul was saying that a man must be married in one place then say that a single person was better off. It would not make much sense.

Praise God for marriage. I have not the gift of celibacy. That does not make me either a better pastor nor a worse one. Only a happy one! Amen?

9. cojosh

cojosh New Member

{SNIP}

Though I don't believe that a pastor has to be married to hold that position, a local body of believers do have the right to decide whether or not their pastor will be one that is married or one who isn't. I can understand why a congregation would be concerned in that area, but I can't understand why anyone would hold to that idea without wavering at all. There have been some unique situations arise throughout history that forced certain people into that position before an opportunity to be married was available.

[ December 15, 2005, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: TomVols ]

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

What he said was that in order to be a pastor, a man should be a "one woman man." He should be characterized by faithfulness and integrity in his personal relationships with women. Divorce, remarriage, and children are incidental to that.

11. MatthewHenry

MatthewHenry New Member

Easy people! I was simply looking for ideas, not a debate! :eek:

Be cool. don't fight, please! [​IMG]

MH :(

12. Brother Ian

The question in the OP regarded being a single pastor. I would never say a single person cannot serve the Lord. I can provide numerous examples of people that I personally know that would have been better off staying single and serving the Lord as a single person rather than being married. You can't draw any conclusions from that at all. That doesn't mean it is good or bad either way.

Paul was providing the qualifications for pastor which say that a bishop must be the husband of one wife. It seems that in the context, one can conclude that a pastor is to have a marriage and a family based on the additional qualificatons of ruling his household well as stated in 1 Tim 3:4-5.

There is another thread found at:

http://www.baptistboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/3229.html?

This thread provides a ton of additional info.

13. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I'm not convinced that this is talking about a pastor per se, but the overseer has to show faithfulness to one wife. "One at a time" is the way that many Greek scholars word the translation, which implies either/or/and getting rid of polygyny (polygamy was always wrong/polygyny was accepted) and remaining faithful to one wife to whom you've made a godly commitment. (In other words, if you were "married" before you gave your life to God and divorced that's one thing; if you truly married (in the eyes of God) and divorced, that's another.)

This also helps reduce the possibility of scandal. If a single overseer spent time alone with a woman, scandal could erupt. If his wife is with him, then the possiblity of scandal is reduced.

Do I think it's a requirement? Based on the words and the context, no. But, if you are and your wife takes the kids to the Catholic church down the road, then you've got a potential problem.

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If that's true, which it is not, then Paul was disqualified as a pastor, because he was single and presumably had no chuldren.

Unfortunately, this person is guilty of reading the letter of the text but failing to comprehend the spirit and meaning of the text. In other words, he's made a pretext out of the text by ignoring the context, and is now foisting his pretext on you as a matter of doctrine.

15. MatthewHenry

MatthewHenry New Member

If that's true, which it is not, then Paul was disqualified as a pastor, because he was single and presumably had no chuldren.

Unfortunately, this person is guilty of reading the letter of the text but failing to comprehend the spirit and meaning of the text. In other words, he's made a pretext out of the text by ignoring the context, and is now foisting his pretext on you as a matter of doctrine.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I figured as much. :D Ain't Baptist's famous for this? [​IMG] :rolleyes: :eek: ;) [​IMG]

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I just about spit out my diet coke with spenda!!!

17. MatthewHenry

MatthewHenry New Member

Yessiree! Something I learned long ago, never drink pop while reading message boards. especally in the humor sections! [​IMG] :D [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I was taught at an early age that any text out of context is nothing but a pretext, and the context is Genesis 1:1 - Revelation 22:21.

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You will find there are those who make great claims of knowing the Bible when they know little. The person who knows what he doesn't know is the one who knows the most.

20. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I know.