1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Reader Lives a Thousand Lives

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Crabtownboy, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If only he had as much concern for his characters lives...Cry

Biggrin

3. ApollotheBrave

I read in Psychology Today that readers have more empathy towards others due to their expanded Theory of Mind. Being able to read a ton of books and learning about characters and their stories make us more conscious about our lives and those around us. Great quote.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find that a most interesting theory and believe there is truth there. That would explain or answer a question I've pondered.

Thanks for the reply.

5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Member

Absolutely true. That's why I think those people who always say "You only live once" has never tried reading books before. :)

6. jeremy81

jeremy81 New Member

Ah, the beauty of living vicariously! This is indeed a beautiful quote and should be a good enough encouragement to those who have not picked up the habit of reading. Getting to live in another character/life is truly what reading offers. We get to experience things that we won't otherwise know had not been for the experiences of the characters we read. Sometimes, the characters we love in books become catalyst to us actually living some parts of a character's experience. Take, traveling for example. If not for the books that I've read in the past, I would not have been introduced to the beauty and wonders of traveling. So, yeah - let's all continue to live a more thousand lives, and we have the Internet as the vast sources of books that we can even get for free at times (Project Gutenberg, anyone?)