1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A real treat!!!

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by av1611jim, Feb 5, 2005.

1. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I was a little out of character tonight while at work. I was listening to NPR and got a pleasant surprise! My Grandmother was a missionary Nurse to So. Africa in the period of '15 -'26. She used to love telling us kids stories of the native people and how lovely they could sing. I never did hear it first hand, UNTIL tonight!
    There was a Gospel Choir on NPR of all places, and they were from Soweto So. Africa.
    I have no idea what Denom. they were from, but I can tell you this. It was MAHVELUS!
    So with no further ado, nor anymore build-up. go here;

www.npr.org

then click on the link for the Soweto Gospel Choir. I think most on here would agree. Jesus may be praised in a multitude of styles and languages. So, I won't go into all the CCm vs Traditional stuff. You all just go give it a listen and tell me what you think.
    Personally, I can see how my Grandmother could fall in love with that sound. She knew they were praising God in their own tongue and tradition. It really is neat.

In HIS service;
    Jim

2. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

3. superdave

superdave New Member

We had a missionary from the Congo a couple weeks ago, and they had a dvd presentation of their ministry with some video from their church with some singing in a native language. I found it to be very amazing to listen to, and it is so different than what most would consider normal church music. For what are mostly not formally educated people regarding music, they had an ability to blend and sing amazingly complicated rythyms. I would love to have our choir take a crack at it, but swahili might be a challenge. Perhaps we could get something translated.

4. LRL71

LRL71 New Member