1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Response to Why I am #NeverTrump

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Tendor, Aug 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It wasn't a fallacious argument. It was approaching the argument from a different angle.

Everything said was accurate, and, honestly, could be said by a Trump supporter primarily concerned about SCOTUS.

And, in case you want to launch into me, keep in mind that I am OPEN to supporting Trump. I'm just not convinced at the moment.

That doesn't mean I can't be convinced, but I would really appreciate a civil discourse. I'm not saying this just to you; it's a general comment for all Trump supporters. Right now I am "not Trump," but I am not "never Trump." There is a huge difference.

2. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ok, Trump got on the Obama/Clinton bandwagon with Libya at one point. Hey they were the experts. Trump had no access to the intel that Obama and Hillary did, all he had to go by was news reports. In fact Obama had already secretly inserted CIA operatives into Libya, and the media was full of reports of Qaddafi's misdeeds.
    LINK

As for Iraq, Trump was saying:
    Nov. 4, 2003
    "The tremendous cost” of the war and the “very, very unpleasant surprises in Iraq.” He says, “The question is whether or not we should have been in Iraq in the first place.”

Dec. 15, 2003: with Neil Cavuto:
    "Well, look, you have a lot of questions and a lot of people questioning the whole concept of going in, in the first place, Neil. But we are in, we went in".
    LINK

3. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To call that foolish to vote in a way that it violates their conscience is uncalled for Brother. I live in WVa, and plan on voting for Trump, but he is soooo far ahead it's scary. But if Brother StephenM feels bad to vote for Trump, ppl died to give him that right. I say kudos to him for standing for his beliefs. And I think HilLIARly and Bill are Jezebel & Ahab part deux...

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It wouldn't matter. Trump said yesterday that he doesn't trust and wouldn't use US intelligence reports.

5. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

Skepticism over intel reports might be a very healthy thing. He may have been referring to intelligence reports on Libya ca. 2011 when he says, "The intelligence services have made such bad decisions.”

6. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I still can't get that picture out of my head of HilLIARly and Pocahontas coming out on stage with their hands held high celebrating the SCOTUS' overturn of Texas' abortion bill. And this reprobate is very likely the next POTUS. This has left indelible image in my mind.

7. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any beginner student in Philosophy of Basic Logic and Critical Thinking Skills should be able to recognize the multiple fallacies in Tendor's reply/argument. Your confirmation that Tendor was addressing a different argument should have been your first clue as to the root of those fallacies. Take it or leave it.

This has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the the argument in question was a fallacy.

This has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the the argument in question was a fallacy.

This seems to be a complete different subject, but I'm sorry if you believe calling out a fallacy is uncivil if that's where you're headed.Other than that, I am glad that you remain open minded and continue to consider pit-falls of committing to the manipulative agenda of others to join such a movement as #NeverTrump.

8. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    accidentally posted. This is what happens when I run on too little sleep :)

#128 blessedwife318, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  9. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the issue of fallacy, that word gets thrown around so much as to be practically meaningless most of the time. This is a discussion board, and conversations are fluid.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having knowledge of philosophical principles is a way to draw out the truth in those discussions. “Fallacies” are simply a description of known methods which are used to avoid bringing out those truths. You would be wise to appreciate the value of recognizing them.

11. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My point is not the existence of fallacies or in the recognition thereof. I instead argue that the concept of "fallacy" has evolved far beyond philosophical ground. The semantic domain of the term is so inflated that it can become a just a way of saying you reject the argument.

Formal fallacies are rock solid. Informal fallacies run the gamut. Unless I have missed something (entirely possible), we are dealing with informal fallacies at the most.

The specific post to which I gave a positive ranking stands in two senses--in isolation and in context. And in that context, there are arguably multiple contexts.

I say that the original post, in isolation (or by itself), is unquestionably true. Whether it is true in context is a debatable matter, so is whether or not it is a fallacy.

12. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning

Sometime after 1am Pacific, this thread will be closed.

13. Tendor

Tendor Member

I never said that it was an either or statement. Only that the Gospel is what is of most importance. Which is a statement that is contrary to what Calminian made. Also, you must know Calminian very well so that you feel comfortable to clarify for him what he meant as opposed to taking what he said at face value.

I never said that it negated the Supreme Court issue only that the Gospel is more important. Also, Why did you start shouting in the middle of your sentence? If you're going to shout why not shout the entire sentence?

How is this comment in any way related to what Calminian said?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When this election is over, and either Trump or Clinton is sitting in the Oval Office, just watch the histrionics of the Christian Right that was in the tank for Trump. They will excoriate you if Clinton wins, blaming you for not voting for Trump. If Trump wins they will be besides themselves with glee (but you and I know the truth, as to what type of president Trump will be). Watch these people closely. Watch how they will prove themselves hypocrites by giving Trump a pass on his ungodly and unconstitutional ways, contrary to how they attack Obama.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.