1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A return to it's theological foundation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, May 18, 2016.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Where did I use that language ewf?

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Imagine your giving an account on Judgment Day for your words & actions. The Bible clearly teaches this:

Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment! (James 2:12,13)

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You used 'Carnal' & I embellished by adding Luke-Warm.

And to my brethren, my name is "STEVE"

4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A biblical warning for self examination is not a threat to a redeemed sinner, in the same way a warning given near a gas pump at the gas station that there should be no smoking or open flame near the pumping Of gas.
    Not everyone who assembles among the local churches is an overcomer rev2-3.

#84 Iconoclast, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
  5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In my world there is a difference between carnal,je unsaved, and drifting believers.those under the dominion of the flesh are unsaved.
    Those who cannot bridle their tongue and are constantly profane have no reason to believe they are Kingdom members.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You point to specific points you consider uncharacteristic of a christian......I go a bit deeper, for example the 10 commandments, the sermon on the mount. I believe it to be a change of the heart....... can & do you love the Lord your God with all your heart & soul. do you love your neighbor as yourself? If so, you will see a change in the person who falls in love with the Lord, and I believe this to be characteristic of a real christian.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Primitive Baptists in my estimation have always fulfilled "The Great Commission" (So-called).

And I personally am a strong defender of the Great Commission even though the PB's say that this and like passages were given to the then living apostles and disciples and yes, I agree .At least in my reading of their multi-faceted doctrinal positions this is an all-encompassing belief.

Explanation(s):

A few years back I became very interested in the PBs and found that the closest PB church was about a hundred miles + away from me. I communicated with a male member of that local church and he was very responsive and kind to my inquiries and sent me much reading material.

Consider:
    Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Note the several "and"s in the passage : in the vernacular: First "Be witnesses" then be witnesses by degrees of distance from the locale e.g. Kentucky, the USA and everywhere else.

The very fact that a group has a visible local church makes them a witness.
    The passage does not definitively say that we are compelled to go to the uttermost parts of the world to be said witnesses.

But why should the knowledgeable children of God go everywhere in the world preaching/teaching the word?

Because IMO this "command" is encapsulated in the following verse seeing that Jesus and His church lives on after His death burial and resurrection and is to those who go on after His ascension:

John 10:16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

To be forthright I am a little disappointed that they are so close knit and that if they are believing of their own doctrine (and of course I believe they are, just that they are a bit sluggish as we all are in varying areas) that they do not spread out more folks into the out lying regions of the earth to let the languishing children of God know who they are and our Fathers expectations of His children.

Acts 17:30 Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent.

HankD

#87 HankD, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hank, the 3 PB Universalist associations that Howard Dorgan wrote about in In the Hands of a Happy God believed that all of what is "hell" was experienced here on earth. Are the ones who believe in the Purgatory a different group, or are you using that term to describe their belief of Hell on earth?

Thanks!

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used the term "purgatory" in a generic sense as a springboard to the Primitive Baptist Universalists (PBU) belief that hell indeed exists but is not a place of eternal suffering. In my research - yes the majority of PBU's hold to the belief that said "hell" is a kind of earthly "state of being" (however doctrinally speaking some have objected that it might continue on after the spirit leaves the body - but not forever).

Yes I am aware of Howard Dorgan and his book which I have read in part.

If you did not know here is a quote from a website you will probably be very interested in because it not only contains a great deal of historical information it will lead you on a path which will take several days (or more) to traverse with other websites and authors.

http://www.appalachianhistory.net/2011/06/hellers-or-no-hellers.html

Indeed the Appalachian area has brought forth a great and unparalleled history of their local Baptist churches and their many and amazing in-family disputes which are reminiscent (to me) of the disputes among the ECF.

Again to be forthright I don't agree with some of these beliefs but have always admired their zeal which I have discovered to be profound among Baptists.

HankD

10. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the link, Hank. I may have read that before, but many times I forget more than I remember. I know this is a kind of singular focus that is not directly on your topic. But since you are aware of the Appalachian Baptists, I wonder if you might have any advice on finding the following:

The Little Home Church and the question of racial harmony within Old Regularism by Howard Dorgan
    And
    Salvation of All Mankind; and Treatise on Predestination by Charles F. Nickels

So far I've only e-mailed and haven't called anyone on the phone yet, but I have not gotten anyone to respond to this request.

Thanks.

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will see what I can do rl. give me a little time.

Thanks
    HankD

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we are going to stick strictly to the word (and we must - Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God) directly or in a summary statement then IMO this passage must be considered.

Revelation 2
    20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.
    21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.
    22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.
    23 And I will kill her children with death ...

So these are declared the servants of God and I don't see any way out of that passage that these are His beloved.

This is IMO given as an example as to how deeply committed to sin His own can find themselves.
    Note that they will (if not repentant - to change one's mind - ) and if they are identified as "her children" be put to death, similarly Paul says to the "carnal" at Corinth that many are weak, sickly and some even sleep.

possibly similarly John's "sin unto death" in his epistle through the Holy Spirit of inspiration.

So if there is such a thing as a "carnal" Christian then "For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die".

HankD

#94 HankD, Jun 2, 2016
  15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    oops, internet theologian, my humblest apologies if I was unclear. What is your objection.
    Remember I said I was speaking vicariously as a PB and don't necessarily agree with all their doctrine, but some, yes.

Also note that I put "carnal" in quotes. I do however believe that the flesh (though that old-man should have been put in a coffin) can be awakened like the vampire that he is when darkness comes.

HankD

#95 HankD, Jun 2, 2016
  16. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So? What? Is that what your 'mission field' is, to warn and convert false professors here on the BB?

Question: If someone has been predestined by God before the foundation of the world to be conformed to the image of His Son how could they ever be a 'false professor' BOUND FOR HELL?

You claim to hold to the doctrines of Sovereign Grace yet you gom it all up with these stupid contradictions.

17. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But that's not what you do here. You examine others.

18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Kyred
    The scripture speaks of both truths at the same time. You only speak of one truth and want to exclude the other.
    God has revealed He has purposed to save a multitude of sinners in Himself. From the Divine side the exact number and persons were both fixed and certain.
    You do not know who they are....do you?
    Unlike Evans friend......no one knows who they are.
    That is why the scripture addresses the means God uses and all the teaching mentioning he who overcomes, about diligently seeking holiness, taking the Kingdom, pressing toward the mark of the high calling, being saved as by fire,examine yourself,etc.......I see that as truth....you say it is a contradiction.

19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Maybe you can quote me doing this?
    You make the accusation. ....now show it!

20. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who are the overcomers?

1 John 5
    4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
    5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

Anyone here on the BB who doesn't believe that Jesus is the Son of God raise your hand so we can pray for you.

Just kiddin'

HankD