1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Seeker Asks, "Does this BB fairly represent Calvinism?"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by humblethinker, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

2. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Frankly, I think the moderators here for the most part do what they can and a pretty good job, they don't carry the ultimate authority here and I don't think that is where the problem's roots originate.

3. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

#43 Benjamin, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2011
  4. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Im not sure you have a good foundational view on Calvinism. someone earlier suggested the book, " Doctrines of Grace" written by James Montgomery Boice....I think its 12 dollars on Amazon. Dr Boice was a Calvinist & when he wrote this book to both provide information on Calvinistic beliefs & also contrasts it to Non Calvinists particularly Arminian doctrine. That book was his final project before he died of cancer & felt the dire need to impart the information. I recommend it strongly for anyone who wants to understand Calvinistic thought.

6. JesusFan

Moody handbook of theology has some good concise chapters on what Arms cals Hold to

Also could read the abridged institutes of Christian religion 1 book paperback!

7. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eph 2:11ff. 'Therefore remember that you, once Gentiles in the flesh.....that at that time you were without Christ......strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.

Note

1. There is no hope outside of Christ.
    2. We did not bring ourselves near.
    3. Salvation is all of Christ.

Steve

8. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Purpose

The goal of God is to do what He promised to make Abraham a nation that cannot be counted. God is using us the few the remnant to bring that purpose to spread the hope that is in Christ and has given us the Holy Spirit with the words of life for the dead. They can continue to condemnation, but God through His word has given, placed before them life and death so chose Jesus and live.

Praise God through Jesus Christ.

#48 psalms109:31, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2011
  9. JesusFan

Seems that quite a bit of what is seen as being biblical in this area on BB would be similiar to a theology going around in college days, being propagated by a couple of professors..

they wrote a book that postulated a theology that stated that God in Christ Death on Cross elected ALL people to be save. conditional election to Eternal life until they themselves took them out of salvation by activelty rejecting Jesus

So all those never heard saved, other religions saved basically you had to hear and make will choice to reject Christ!

Seem to take what karl barth posulated to logical conclusion!

And this seems to be some espouse hear without knowing it!

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JF didnt you say you go to an Evangelical Free Church? Really trying to make sense of what you are saying....help me out.....do you or dont you believe in Doctrines of Grace.

Thank you

11. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

This is good advice from a good man. :thumbs:

12. Skandelon

JesusFan, no offense was intended in leaving you off the list. :) You do post with grace in most circumstances, BUT you still SEEM to be searching for where you land, so to speak. I may just be misreading you because of all the question you ask, but that was just my take.

13. Skandelon

The name is in honor of the "rock of offense," the one who caused those who think they knew it all to stumble so as to save their souls. Read Romans 9-11 again and you will see that the "rock of offense" (Christ) was merciful causing Israel to stumble because in doing so they might be provoked to envy and saved (Rm. 11:14).

I can live with that. Scandal: "Bringing the truth into the light." I like it. Thanks! :)

Oh, its checked and polished daily. ;)

14. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Benjamin,
    Although I read what you are saying and am trying to understand your point of view.....Are you sure you are not ever-reacting to what is being posted. Because it is not the same as you would present in the way you understand the gospel.....are you certain that it is not valid.

I am sure you are speaking of our previous interaction where i listed 8-10 things about presenting the gospel....and you took great offence at a couple of the points.
    Maybe you did not understand them correctly? I stand by what I posted and would be willing to offer a scriptural defence for all the points I posted and would be willing to add to it if you would like...we could discuss/ debate it in a seperate thread and see what we can agree on and what we cannot agree on at this time.
    If I am in error...and you or anyone here can show me scripturally where I am in error ...I would gladly be corrected.
    Would you be willing to do the same?

From your response I think you are not representing what I posted accurately when you say this;
    If you would like to do it...I will go back and post the whole list and see what we can come up with.

15. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Hinder

Throughout scripture there is an elect and we all can verify this. They had a message to trust God over our own understanding. No where is scripture can we place claim that trust is a work. That we have lifted up things that most men can't even understand or even get a grip on higher than the two things that is dear to our God. First is to love Him and next is to love others as ourselves.

The words of Jesus is more powerful than our understanding. It is Spirit and life and which Jesus who is our authority have given men to spread.

There is two problems I see is men given a bunch of rules and regulations that have to be complete in order to be saved or trying to convince a man coming to Christ and has come because God loved the world that He sent His son that God doesn't love the world that He sent His Son, but the elect who have been cut out before and not able to enter His salvation not because they are not the elect, but because of unbelief. Now that Jesus has been lifted up, the Holy Spirit poured back on the whole earth and all authority has been given to Jesus. I tell you anyone who trust in Christ shall be saved and anyone who does not will stay in condemnation, there is no one one in all the earth that has an excuse not to come to Jesus and be saved.

Acts 10 :34
    Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism 35 but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right. 36 You know the message God sent to the people of Israel, announcing the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all. 37 You know what has happened throughout the province of Judea, beginning in Galilee after the baptism that John preached— 38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.

39 “We are witnesses of everything he did in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem. They killed him by hanging him on a cross, 40 but God raised him from the dead on the third day and caused him to be seen. 41 He was not seen by all the people, but by witnesses whom God had already chosen—by us who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead. 42 He commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one whom God appointed as judge of the living and the dead. 43 All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”

#55 psalms109:31, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2011
  16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Holy cow. Talk of missing the point. And you want to insist that Noncalvinists describe the same Christ that Calvinists describe? "stumble so as to save"???? Man, if you miss the mark with this one, can there be hope for you?

The one who stumbles is NOT saved. He found Christ and His message offensive, and so is disobedient and goes about to establish his own righteousness. Be very, very careful that you are not are not clinging to even one meritorious act of your own, that of choosing Christ. You will admit that your choice was not an act of God, but your own. In your interactions here you describe a christ who is not sovereign over one's salvation, a cross that doesn't save, and an offering that only levels the playing field enough so that men can have their own contribution to their redemption.

Are you sure you have not stumbled?

17. Skandelon

It's these types of answers that reflect poorly on you and this board as a whole Aaron. Let's just discuss the topic without the personal insults and implication that I'm not a true Christian, ok?

Has he stumbled beyond recovery? Heaven forbid! That's what Paul said.

Yes. Yet, Paul's hope is that he might be provoked by envy and saved (Rm. 11:14). If a unnatural branch can be grafted in, how much more can a NATURAL branch (the Jew who has stumbled) be grafted back in "if he leaves his unbelief." (vs. 22-23).

It is clear by your opening line and your use of the non-capatized "christ," that you don't believe that I'm a true follower of the true Christ. If that is what you believe, fine, but it's against the posting rules to go there, and having been a moderator in the past you should know that.

If you want to cordially and respectfully discuss or debate our points of disagreement fine, but if you are just here to inflame, accuse and imply others aren't really believers then you may need to just take a break. Ok?

Yes, I have, remember I told you already that I used to be a Calvinist. :smilewinkgrin:

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is the Christ of Calvinism a true Christ to you?

19. Skandelon

He is the same Christ regardless of the different soteriological camp, Aaron. When I was Calvinist I still believed in Jesus and followed Christ with good intentions, just as I believe is the case with other Calvinists. As I've said before, my brother and my best friend are both Calvinistic believers. They are dear to me and I KNOW they follow Christ because I see the fruit in their lives. Just because they understand the inner workings of God's saving grace differently than I do doesn't make them heathens.

It may not seem like it to you because of our limited interaction on this forum, but I actually like Calvinists. I like their focus on God's glory and their stance against easy beleivism and the "seeker sensitivity" movement. In fact, if you read Arminus he sounds a lot like many Calvinistic believers today. In the great scheme of things, we are much closer to each other than you'd probably like to admit. :)

20. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:applause::applause::applause:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.