1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A service for worship & nothing else?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 12strings, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

EXTREMELY well said in my opinion!

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brother Luke, how could anything I posted be construed as sloppy worship? What I am trying to convey, and apparently failing miserably, is that one doesn't have to be in a church building, or even in a crowd of two or three, to worship God. Worship comes from the heart, and that heart must be turned towards God before true worship can be obtained. I have been coming home from work, and listening to some christian music, and have a worship service in my car. I am not saying you don't believe this is possible, but nothing I have posted in this thread even alludes to sloppy worship, IMO.

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I didn't say that YOU were advocating sloppy worship.

That is what this thread is about.

I am saying though that your comments represent a very one sided view of worship.

EVERYBODY today believes that you worship God by "thanksliving". Me, you, Arminians, Calvinists, Traditionalists, Contemporarians (i made it up:smilewinkgrin:).

But the problem is that people advocate THAT in the place of reverent corporate worship.

It is not either, or. It is both and.

4. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I honestly think we may sum-up the discussion by including "Luke's" words here:
    This is to say that....those who are in defense of modern musical forms and some "freedom" or "laxity" or "stylistic defferrence" in music are absolutely NOT "WRONG"....yes...Drums and electric guitars are absolutely possibly appropriate instruments to use.....God has told us to "clap your hands"...and "clapping hands" is nothing but keeping time with what is essentially "Percussion"....that isn't the argument...attitude is.

I think Luke has a point. and the point is summed-up perfectly by his explanation that the OT must be referred to when it comes to an appropriate "Spirit" or "Attitude" when it comes to approaching God. And though we in the "NT era" have some freedom to express (what with us being mostly gentiles and what-not)....the Spirit of how we should approach God is simply one of true AWE and I say again....FEAR.

The OT gives us some insight into this. And I think we need to pause when we incorporate drumsets and electric guitars (none of which are INHERENTLY bad) to insure that we have created an atmosphere truly conducive to the approaching the audience of ONE with the appropriate sacrifice of praise.
    We are NOT singing to the congregation...we are singing to GOD.

Does "GOD".........want to hear an off-key choir? Or are we simply too weak and scared to tell someone that they are no good...and they should NOT sing in the choir as their talents are no good here....and it's cute that you want to join us...but God never "called" you to sing with us, as you are deaf and sound horrid...and I simply WILL NOT put that in front of my Lord God and King. <----This last paragraph (BTW) is ENTIRELY HoS...don't blame Luke for any of it. :thumbs:

#24 HeirofSalvation, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2012
  5. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But...Did you grasp the un-mitigated AMAZING-NESS of PETRA????
    I cite here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVYTULb33kU

Yes, I know....they are THAT GOOD...The key-boardist is this good earlier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6xv1D9C4OI
    No...... Greg X. Volz was NOT singing "falsetto" when he sang the Soprano part of the "Hallelujah Chorus" (one octave lower).....and yes the keyboardist is simply that good...

So, yes....you "Can" use drums and electric guitars to "worship"....but, get the attitude right first.......:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Take THAT "Jars of Clay"........

#25 HeirofSalvation, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2012
  6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I would say that worship is for God. Jesus Christ told the woman at the well:

John 4:21-23
    21. Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.
    22. Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
    23. But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship Him.

We worship God and if our worship is in spirit and in truth, is acceptable to God, then we are blessed by God.

I agree with Luke that a spirit of reverence is necessary for true worship of God. If we don't reverence God we sure cannot worship Him. That being said worship cannot be elitist. So what if someone in the choir misses a note. We are told to make a "joyful noise unto the Lord", not sing in complete harmony. If that were required we could simply use a CD of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir! Some of the mega-churches may be able to assemble a choir that never misses a note but I suspect that most churches are unable to assemble such.

Back to the need for reverence. It is my opinion that what passes for worship in the so-called contemporary services are irreverent and not acceptable to God.

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I appreciate what you are saying. I would just say that the same Bible that says to make a joyful noise says to play "skillfully" and no where says to make that noise poorly.

The point is that we ought to do the best we can with what God has given us and always be seeking to do better and better.

8. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I agree. But a given church must use what talent they have. A small congregation with a hundred or so adults is unlikely to be able to assemble a choir in which no one misses a note.

Frankly, I have often believed that the Church might be better off if the choir were dispersed among the congregation. Too often the choir is devoted to presenting a flawless performance, worthy of congregational praise, rather than making joyful and reverential music worthy of acceptance by God as worship!

I don't believe anyone could disagree with that as long as the end gal is acceptable worship of God.

I would also add that I believe all those who are routinely employed in Church functions whether it be singing in the choir, teaching a SS class, or teaching in any capacity ahould be members of the Church, not outside help.

9. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I can appreciate not wanting to cast aside the OT. I agree that much of what we learn about worshiping God comes form the OT. It is why I don't think there is warrant for excluding loud instruments.

However I do think that there are times when the NT emphasis on Christ and his Gospel and the mission of the church takes precedent...I think the emphasis in the Epistles on what the early church did when they gathered is one of these times: Preaching equipping the saints, prayer for God's empowerment and help, Breaking the bread in remembrance of Christ's sacrifice, fellowship for building up each other for the sake of following Christ and enduring hardship. Various people brought words for edification or encouragement.

I actually DO think we may compare our experience to Israel in Babylon, in that we are not told to settle in to a permanent location and simply exist as we worship God, but to be also going out.

Another example of this principle might be the "be fruitful and multiply." In the OT, especially in Israel, Growing a family was exactly what God wanted them to do. However, there may be good reasons today for a missionary, or pastor, or even a lay family to seek to limit the number of children they have so their entire time is not spent caring for their own family, but they have more energy and resources to minister to others.

All that said, to clarify, I do agree that corporate worship of God has a special place that cannot be substituted by private worship, or simply godly living, or even Christian fellowship times, and that it must be taken seriously. I also agree that we cannot depend on corporate worship to be the PRIMARY evangelism tool of the church.

I simply believe (1) that the use of drums/guitars can in some cases contribute to this goal, and (2) that there are other good goals involved in corporate worship (beyond direct praise to and reverence of God) that are not only allowable, but prescribed and modeled for us in the NT: Edification of believers, mutual encouragement through singing songs to each other, presenting the Gospel in a clear way so outsiders can understand it.

10. 12strings

12strings Active Member

On other problem with this discussion is "how do you define contemporary?"...and "what part of that definition makes a worship service irreverent and unacceptable?"

At one of our services (which included an acoustic guitar, bass guitar, grand piano, and drum set), I heard that a visitor appreciated how "Traditional" we were. Go figure.

And I might add for Luke that John MacArthur's church does use contemporary music on occasions.

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

This is not about whether the music is contemporary or old.

It is about whether or not it is conducive to an environment of reverence, transcendence and awe which is suitable for the worship of Almighty God.

It is also an error to presume that "reverence" is strictly subjective.

It is not and we all know it.

Many of us watched the service at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier today.

They did not invite Gallhager for a reason.

Reverence is not subjective.

We know when something is mostly about being cool and hip and we know when something is primarily geared to be transcendent and reverent.

Let's don't act like we don't.

12. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I think I can pretty much agree with all this, and yet still believe that, used tastefully, an band with guitar & drums can contribute to this goal...and that, used poorly or excessively, a pipe organ can detract from this goal.