1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Shocking “Confession” from Willow Creek Community Church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by 2 Timothy2:1-4, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Preaching, prayer and fasting. It can't be beat! :thumbs:

2. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Amen!:applause:

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And also, Liberating Ministry from the Success Syndrome, by Kent and Barbara Hughes. God's definition of success is much different from ours.

My father never pastored a church larger than about 230, moved every five years or so, never preached in big conferences, was never given an honorary doctorate, and was quite downhearted later in his ministry because of how he had been treated. However, he faithfully preached the Gospel for 60 years! Hundreds were saved through his ministry, and thousands grew in grace. From the Willow Creek point of view he may have been a failure, but he's a grand success in my eyes because he was faithful with what he had and was--"She (he) hath done what she (he) could."

At his funeral I preached about Caleb and his mountain. When Dad visited us here in Japan he desperately wanted to climb Mt. Fuji, though I knew he wouldn't make it because of his age and his knee. So we took him to the mountain and let him start climbing. After the first "station" (rest stop), he realized he couldn't make it and we had to go back down. In my message I said that we climb our mountain as best as we can, as high as we can, and then the Lord comes down to where we are on that mountain and takes us to be with Him forever. Praise the Lord for His graciousness!

4. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Amen, great story!

5. SeekingHisTruth

SeekingHisTruth New Member

Well I don't know if it could be summed up quite so easily as I'm pretty sure there was plenty of "preaching" going on, and I would be very surprised if they weren't "praying" and I wouldn't be completely shocked if they had "fasters".

What is being preached and what we are praying for and why we are fasting are very important factors that can not be overlooked!

6. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

The point is that should be the method on which we build the church. Not polling lost folks to see what they want ijn a worship service.

7. SeekingHisTruth

SeekingHisTruth New Member

Sure, but good method+bad content=disaster. Good method must be coupled with correct content to see desired results.