1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A simple observation upon my return

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by thjplgvp, Jan 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

It is likely that I will get flamed for this post but so be it.

In 2006 when I found this forum I was pastoring a very small church in the middle of nowhere and found the forum a way to have fellowship with like minded Baptists whom I could ask questions and answered questions without being attacked for my views or my questions. Unfortunately I was somewhat shocked in that after a few weeks I found my entire belief system under attack by those whom I felt were somewhat self righteous. So in my responses I began to react the way I felt I was being responded to which in turn drew the ire of the moderators and I received warnings to stop my attacks. In my mind I was the one being attacked for simply asking questions or making statements, none the less I tried to abide by the moderators rulings and learn.

So I had to learn to rephrase my statements in such a way as to not antagonize those reading my posts and they, I found began to respond to me differently with the exception of a two or three. I enjoyed my time on the forum but noticed after some time that one element of Christendom began to be more prevalent in espousing their belief system and tended to gang up on any member who did not agree with them. For a period of time I contended with this group and tried to deflect their aggressiveness with simple questions concerning their doctrine and found that as long as I was willing to listen they were willing to be nice but as soon as I challenged any part of their belief system I was immediately censured by simple intellectual bullying.

After absorbing this for a time I simply left the forums because instead of being encouraged and stimulated on my visits I was going away angry and filled with emotion that it would take hours for me to get right with the Lord. I have been away except for a question now and again for many years and recently on my return I notice there are almost no IFB men and women on this forum and though I do not know this for a fact I believe it to be in part because the comradery that was once found here is gone. As I read in one post a few days (I cannot remember which one) the paraphrase of one poster to another went something like this, this is a place where we can fellowship and we don't care if you leave, I know that is not a quote but at the time I read it i thought that was as cold and hateful as one might imagine.

When in defense of your own system of belief you intellectually bully all others those whom you bully will find some other playground to play on. In the posts I have read since my return I found the way we treat brothers and sisters in Christ with our words and attitudes should cause all of us to be ashamed.

I want to stay on this board and enjoy fellowship with out being attacked for my beliefs and I will not attack anyone on the forum. But if you have not noticed this forum is dying and people who used to speak freely now lurk in shadows of the forum or have left altogether and when they left they took with them the joy of being of discussing differences of opinion with out being bullies and allowing iron to sharpen iron. Each of us need to keep this this thought in mind. Proverbs 18:19 A brother offended is harder to be won than a strong city: and their contentions are like the bars of a castle.

thjplgvp

Edited for clearer understanding

#1 thjplgvp, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The BB isn't at all the way it was when it was first started. I do think that there were a lot more intellectual discussions, and edification because the moderators and administrators were far more active in keeping the BB a place of fellowship and edification.

I don't come to the board looking for agreement, rather to find what others may offer of Scriptures that would modify my thinking. I have often said, that if someone can demonstrate by Scriptures that I am in error, then I am obliged to change, not by personal persuasion, but by Scripture truth.

I wish more IFB folks were on the board. Not sure why they aren't.

I do know that Hyles put out the word that boards and forums were "ungodly" so, some of that "camp" would have been effected. He is long dead, but his influence remains in some areas by those who are loyal to him.

There is also a less unified (imo) IFB group. Back a few decades ago, the IFB groups were more distinctive, and school (Tennessee Temple, Pensacola, Hyles, Pillsbury, Maranatha, Bob Jones, BBC, ...) oriented (again imo) where in this modern time, less seems to be the case.

There was also in most cases (imo) the view that a standard of appearance and association was some mark of Godliness (or lack thereof). Such is being extinguished, and fewer are putting emphasis upon those items, which goes to what ultimately is a problem.

Imo, the IFB world is attempting to find new and more solid footing. The past battlefields are no longer or rarely disputed ground, and few are recognizing where the standards for gathering to battle should be raised.

Embracing the world and worldly as part of gaining the attention and participation has become more of the emphasis rather than showing just cause why the world and the things of the world should be avoided.

But, you have to remember that I went to school wearing a coat and tie, and girls wore dresses, dress shoes, gloves and hat. So, not much that I see in the IFB world resembles what I would like to see. Folks would dress up in a suit and hat to go to a ball game, and now, .... Well you get the picture.

These are just a few of my rambles.

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are still a few of us. Strong KJVO people tend to leave because folks quickly jump on them.
    Back in those days, judging by the old flicks, even the crooks wore suits and ties! :D

4. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Strong KJVO folks tend to leave because some of us would rather use the NIV AND ESV and that offends them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know what the writer of the OP means. I came to the board. back in '08 I believe, hoping to find good, rational discussion. About the third time a particular person responded to me, he is still on the board, it was a viscous attack over a very trivial subject. I decided to stay. In fact, it has become such that when some respond in a very negative I take it as a compliment.

Blessings.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seriously?

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed. Secular politics has no place in this form.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.