1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Skopos Version of John 17

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Skopos theory does not have techniques per se. It is descriptive of the translation process rather than prescriptive. In other words, looking at a document, the theory will ask, "Does this rendering fit the goals and purposes of the translator?" instead of, "Did the translator render this correctly?

With that in mind, my skopos being a document that will help me teach translation theory in the future, my renderings may seem somewhat awkward in places. I'm not aiming at smooth English, but at English that will help class discussion.

As for the καὶ and the second σου, I just missed them, that's all. (Oops.) Thanks for pointing it out.

2. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think "to give" would be adequate for a purpose hina--it depends on the skopos.

Point taken. This is just a first draft translation, so it is going to have these kinds of errors. Thanks for pointing them out. :thumbs:

As said above, there is not skopos technique per se. If the skopos were a NT for young people, for example, and the translator felt that contractions would give greater impact and understanding to young people, then contractions would be used.

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    5. And now, Father, glorify Me along with Yourself by the glory which I had with You before the world existed.
    5 Καὶ νῦν δόξασόν με σύ, πάτερ, παρὰ σεαυτῷ τῇ δόξῃ ᾗ εἶχον πρὸ τοῦ τὸν κόσμον εἶναι παρὰ σοί. (Joh 17:5 BYZ)

In English we don’t start words with conjugations in formal writing, but often do so in colloquial speech. However, in 1st century Greek this was very common. My theory is that it was sometimes done to distinguish a new sentence, since they had no punctuation marks. At any rate, for the skopos of this translation I’ll render all initial conjugations.

The first verb is again the aorist imperative of entreaty. For the purpose of exegesis, note that the su strengthens the thought, “You yourself, Father.” But that is hard to portray smoothly in the English. In the original, “Father” comes sixth in the sentence, but in my translation I put in third since that sounds better in English and doesn’t change the meaning. “By the glory” is a dative of means. The Father glorifies the Son with the same glory the Father has, showing the deity of Christ.

“By the glory” and “with you” are both prepositional phrases with para, meaning “from” or “from the side of”—“along with you” in this case.

“Before the world existed” is the present active infinitive of the Greek “to be.” So a slavishly literal rendering would be, “to the (of) the world to be,” but that of course makes little sense in English, being an idiom, so I used suitable English vocabulary and syntax to render it.

4. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

Does "along with Yourself" correspond to something like "and Yourself" or "and also Yourself," or something like "alongside Yourself" or "in Your very [presence]"? To me "along with" could mean either, so it might be better to clarify which is meant.

5. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

I wouldn't call using or not using the optional relative pronoun an "error" in any case, and the capitalization of theistic pronouns has a historical precedent (at least in the NKJV), though it seems to be relatively uncommon nowadays.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My meaning was more like, "at the same time as," but if there is ambiguity in my rendering there was ambiguity in the original. This rendering might help my students work through the issue of ambiguity in the original: to preserve it in the translation or not to preserve it?

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's official--I'm an anachronism! The consensus on this thread and from a Greek prof friend seems to be that the caps are passe.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Take that HCSB and NASB!

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    6. I showed Your name to the men who You have given Me out of the world; and they were for You, and You gave them to Me. And they have kept Your word.
    6 Ἐφανέρωσά (aorist tense) σου τὸ ὄνομα τοῖς ἀνθρώποις οὓς δέδωκάς (perfect tense) μοι ἐκ τοῦ κόσμου· σοὶ ἦσαν (imperfect tense), καὶ ἐμοὶ αὐτοὺς δέδωκας (perfect tense)· καὶ τὸν λόγον σου τετηρήκασιν (perfect tense). (Joh 17:6 BYZ)

John uses another aorist to start out with, but then switches to several perfect tenses. The student may see that I showed the perfect aspect in the case of two of these with the addition of the English word “have,” but I did not think that sounded okay for the second δέδωκας, given that I had already used “have given” for the first one. The two perfect tenses make great (perfect?) sense in Greek, but sound awkward in English if they are both translated exactly the same.

Sometimes the translator must make this kind of choice: is it worth it to try to keep the exact nuance in the translation if the reader is confused by it?

You may notice that I translated ἀνθρώποις with “men.” In light of the controversies about gender neutral translations, it is worth pointing out that this word should normally be translated “man” or “men” but can mean “people,” depending on the context. (It never means specifically “woman” or “women.) In this case the context apparently refers to the twelve male disciples, so “men and women” or “people” would be a questionable rendering.

Note that quite often when the Greek author meant “people” he used a plural article, such as oi` (nominative case) or touj (accusative case). This may or may not be followed by an adjective or participle in the substantival usage.

#29 John of Japan, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 17
    1. After Jesus spoke these words, and lifted his eyes into heaven, He said, “Father, the hour has come, glorify your Son that your Son may glorify you.”
    2. Even as you gave Him authority over all flesh that He will give eternal life to them you have given to Him.
    3. Moreover, this is eternal life – that they would know the only true God and Jesus Christ, the One you sent.
    4. I glorified you on earth by finishing the work you gave Me to do.
    5. Now Father, glorify Me along side you with the glory I had with you before the world existed. ​

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I made no points with reference to Greek. Just style.

Or simply :After Jesus said this
    No, not "into heaven" --that's awkward English along with the antiquated "lifted his eyes."
    This is better : He looked to heaven
    Good.
    Just as you gave him authority over all people
    That he will give eternal life to all those you have given him
    The NIV : Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ [who] you have sent
    Fine.
    Alongside is one word.
    The NIV rendering is like a number of other versions here: And now, Father, glorify me in your presence
    Fine. Or simply before the world began.

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So Jesus actually lifted His eyeballs up into Heaven?

Whose "translation" is this? Yours? If so, please give a skopos as per the OP. Otherwise you are hijacking the thread.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    8. Because I have given to them the words which You had given Me, and they received and truly understand that I came from You, and they believe that You sent Me.
    8 ὅτι τὰ ῥήματα ἃ δέδωκάς (perf. act. ind.) μοι, δέδωκα (perfect) αὐτοῖς· καὶ αὐτοὶ ἔλαβον(aorist act. ind.), καὶ ἔγνωσαν (aorist) ἀληθῶς ὅτι παρὰ σοῦ ἐξῆλθον(aorist), καὶ ἐπίστευσαν(aorist) ὅτι σύ με ἀπέστειλας(aorist). (Joh 17:8 BYZ)

[Oti in this case simply gives the reason for the truth of v. 8. I used the English “have” and “had” to bring out the force of the perfect tenses. I used the simple past for the aorists, except for “know,” and “believe” where I thought “understand” and “believe” was better English and forgivable in this case considering the undefined aspect of the aorist.

The word for “know” is the common (learned first semester) ginw,skw, which I take here as Friberg’s first meaning: “(1) of intelligent comprehension know, come to understand, ascertain.” This meaning gives further reason to my rendering.

The su, in the final clause strengthens the “you” already in the 2nd person form of the verb “sent.” This form is usually hard to get into the target language, but it might allow for a rendering like “You are the one who sent me.” I didn’t feel it was vital to go that far.

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What if the inspired words were meant to convey Jesus did not just look up toward the sky, but actually looked into heaven, the abode of God. Your translation leaves that meaning out.

And please save your dictatorial commands for your students. And I do not consider picking and choosing from various translation choices, for words and phrases a translation, it is more of a study result.

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your "what if" is wrong. The inspired words did not mean that.

Wow. So you consider a polite request to follow the OP to be a dictatorial command. You never cease to amaze me. :rolleyes::p

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To be more specific, a different verb would have been used for "looking into."

17. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I might offer a few comments on the (English) grammar.

First, I would retain whom when appropriate. Your renderings are fairly formal, and disagreement in case would stick out like a sore thumb. For those who don't know the difference between who and whom, using the correct case is just a little stilted. To those who do know, it's just wrong -- and jarring. Besides, I doubt that you would be willing to jettison whom entirely. And if you're not wiling to do that, why change it in some instances and not others?

(Rippon and I disagree on this; he considers whom moribund; I think it still has some life in it, which becomes obvious when it's used egregiously incorrectly.)

"In English we don’t start words with conjugations in formal writing, but often do so in colloquial speech."

That is an old canard perpetrated upon us by Victorian teachers of English. There is hardly a brand of English more formal than the King James Bibles, and it abounds with sentences that begin with conjunctions. Beyond that, read John Milton's Areopagitica. Milton was no slouch in English prose style, and he repeatedly begins sentences with conjunctions. And Tom Jefferson, a bit of a writer himself, did it in the Declaration: "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." You'll find James Madison beginning sentences with conjunctions in the Federalist Papers. I could go on. But I won't.

Remember that conjunctions can join not only phrases and clauses, but also paragraphs. Some linguists believe teachers developed the rule to keep students from annoyingly beginning too many sentences with conjunctions. But a total ban on such usage is both pedantic and out of step with English as it has been written by some very fine writers.

And that's my two cents.

#37 rsr, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2015
  18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does JOJ know what the inspired words mean? Is he inspired, or is he simply sporting his opinion as a well known fact.

1) Did my rendition of John 17:1 include "looking into." Nope, so a non-germane diversion.

2) How did it read to me? "...and lifted up His eyes into heaven...."

3) So the verb in the phrase is "lifted up" or lifting up. This translation choice can be found in many scriptures. So the translation of the verb as lifted up or lifting up, is accepted and found in several translations such as the NASB.

4) Now the word translated eyes could be translated as viewer, so Jesus lifted up His view into heaven is a possible translation choice.

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi RSR, why not jettison whom/who entirely? Perhaps you could provide a few, 2 or 3 verses where it is imperative to use who/whom? I remember when experts were telling me we could not take lead out of gasoline.

But (put intended) on balance your observations were spot on, in my uneducated view.

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where you blew it was using the English preposition "into." This made your English translation mean physically picking up one's eyes and putting them into Heaven (which is a real place). The Greek word you translated as "into" is eis, which has a wide variety of meanings, which even the obsolete Strong's dictionary can tell you. The rendering should be "towards" or "to," not "into."

If you simply wanted to say that Jesus was looking into Heaven itself, the word horao (to see) or maybe even theoreo (to gaze) would be used, not the phrase actually used, ephren tous ofthalmou, "raise your eyes." That phrase is never used in the NT for looking physically into something.

All clear now? :type:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.