1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Skopos Version of John 17

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, no support except the original Greek and every single translation since Wycliffe. :laugh::thumbs:

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL, there is no evidence Wycliffe was wrong, only evidence that the verse is traditionally translated either to or toward. Thus JOJ argument is if you deviate from a traditional choice, you are wrong. Good Grief, look at the number of novel translation choices in the HCSB. Or the NIV.

In several chases the expression (lifted up eyes) appears to address not the actual scene, but what the mind's eye sees. When we lift up our eyes and see fields white for harvest, are we seeing grain, of people open to the gospel.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You haven't paid attention. It was John Purvey who translated the "Wycliffe Bible". And Purvey based it on the Vulgate (one incarnation of it anyway.) Do you think the Vulgate is authoritative?
    The NIV is staid in comparison to the HCSB. The latter has many quirky expressions.

Why are you still stuck on verse one? JoJ is already up to verse 13. You are falling behind.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To review:

1) The Greek idiom, lift up eyes, is found in several verses, including John 4:35, John 6:5, John 11:41 and John 17:1. It appears the idea is to stop looking at the world and look at the heavenly. So the idea appears to be look at the spiritual or godly, rather than the physical or worldly.

2) Some translations (Wycliffe and interlinear) translate John 17:1 as "into heaven". The vast majority do not.

3) It has been asserted that some rule of Greek grammar forbids looking into heaven when the verb for lifting up as found in John 17:1 is used. No supporting link has been offered.

4) Several commentaries suggest that Jesus was focusing His mind's eye upon the throne of God as He addressed His Father. No argument against this view has been offered.

5) I think John 17:1 is best translated to include "Jesus lifted up His vision into heaven." One translation or interpretation rule is if the straightforward meaning makes sense, seek no other sense. The core meaning of the Greek preposition "eis" is "into" i.e. entry into some place such as the spiritual throne room of God.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baloney and malarkey. What in the world lexicon did you get that from? Considering that you don't read Greek?

Lu 6:20 "And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples..."--not "spiritual or godly"
    Lu 16:23 "And in hell he lift up his eyes..."
    Joh 6:5 "When Jesus then lifted up his eyes, and saw a great company come unto him..." A bunch of lost people
    Joh 13:18 "He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me."--totally unspiritual Judas
    Ac 14:11 "they lifted up their voices, saying in the speech of Lycaonia, The gods are come down to us"--a bunch of idolators
    Ac 27:40 "and hoisted up the mainsail to the wind"
    2Co 10:5 "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth (epairo) itself against the knowledge of God"

It is abundantly clear that the meaning of epairo is not what Van thinks it is.

What interlinear? Mine doesn't. I doubt that you own an interlinear Greek NT.
    You totally missed it. I have mentioned no rule of grammar. My entire point has been semantics.
    "Several?" You only named one, which is hundreds of years out of date. How can I argue against what you haven't said? I dare you to find a modern commentary that agrees with you.
    Baloney. The usage of eis is far more complicated than you would like it to be. This is precisely why people who don't know Greek should not try to be translators of the NT. (Van will now object and say that I am arrogant for knowing Greek when he does not. :smilewinkgrin:)

Here is what Friberg's lexicon says (BAGD, a much bigger lexicon, has five whole columns on it):

εἰς preposition with the accusative into, in; (1) spatially, denoting motion toward a place, after verbs of going, sending, moving to, toward, into (MT 9.7); (2) denoting direction of address after verbs of speaking, telling, teaching, preaching to (MK 13.10); (3) temporally, with an indication of the time up to which something continues until, to (MT 10.22); (4) modally, to indicate degree or intensity εἰς τέλος to the end, to the utmost, completely (1TH 2.16); (5) logically; (a) to indicate purpose in order to, with a view to, for the purpose of (MT 26.28); (b) to indicate reason for, because of, in view of (MT 12.41); εἰς τοῦτο for this reason, therefore (MK 1.38); (c) to denote the purpose of a divine appointment (HE 1.14) or a human appointment in the Lord's will (AC 13.2); (d) to denote a specific goal, the direction of an action to an intended end to, unto, for, with a view to (MT 3.11); (6) denoting relationship; (a) in a neutral sense with reference to, regarding (EP 5.32); (b) in a hostile sense against (RO 8.7); (c) in a friendly sense toward, for, in (RO 15.26); (7) in uncommon usage; (a) of presence in a place, where ἐν (in) might be expected in (AC 19.22b); (b) in Semitic fashion to replace a predicate nominative or a predicate accusative after verbs such as γίνομαι (become, come to be) (MT 21.42), εἰμί (be) (MT 19.5), λογίζομαι (think) (RO 4.3), ἔχω (have) (MT 21.46): as, for

#65 John of Japan, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
  6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quit inventing things. Nowhere in the context does it say where Jesus was.

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    14. I have given them Your word, and the world hated them because they are not from the world, just as I am not from the world.
    14 Ἐγὼ δέδωκα αὐτοῖς τὸν λόγον σου, καὶ ὁ κόσμος ἐμίσησεν αὐτούς, ὅτι οὐκ εἰσὶν ἐκ τοῦ κόσμου, καθὼς ἐγὼ οὐκ εἰμὶ ἐκ τοῦ κόσμου. (Joh 17:14 BYZ)

Here we start with another perfect active indicative of “to give.” Jesus gave the disciples the word of God, and He gave it permanently. The word for “hated” is the aorist act. ind., undefined action at some point in the past.

The hatred stemmed not from the fact that Jesus gave them God’s word, because the next phrase begins with hoti, showing the reason the world hated them: a disciple of Jesus is “otherworldly,” or heavenly minded, just as Jesus is from another world, that of the Father.

I am reminded of my own father’s proverb, “Don’t be so heavenly minded that you are no earthly good.” Yet we are still of Heaven and must keep our eyes on the goal, the glory of God.

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How many times must I say something before JOJ stops misrepresenting it? Same number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin. :)

But lets take JOJ verses and consider them:

1) Luke 6:20, the preposition "eis" is translated "at, to, on, unto" because contextually "into" does not make sense. But what does Jesus say next? Blessed on you who are poor for yours is the kingdom of God.
    Nah, no chance the idea was Jesus was shifting His focus to spiritual things. Not a chance. :)

2) Luke 16:23, again the guy suffering in torment lifts up his vision to Abraham's bosom, a place of spiritual comfort. But according to some, this too does not fit.

3) When Jesus lifted up His eyes and gazed at the crowd, what did He see? People who needed feeding, people who would believe His miracles, people who might trust in Jesus. No chance He shifted His focus to spiritual matters.

4) John 13:18, Jesus is addressing a spiritual matter, the betrayal of the Messiah as foretold in scripture. No chance the idea is He shifted His focus from the mundane to the spiritual.

5) What interlinear? The Scripture4all online one. And yes, I own an interlinear (translation by Alfred Marshall) that says "to" rather than into. Bottom line JOJ claimed a basis for His idea that "into" was not a viable translation, but has yet to back it up. Instead he offers his opinion of me. Twaddle

6) Now we know there is no reason why "lifted up His vision into heaven" is not a valid translation.

7) Now after I supported my view with commentary, rather than offering a commentary that supports his view, he asks me to provide another.

8) Next we have the usual claim JOJ can read my mind and he knows my view on how "eis" is used in scripture. LOL

Bottom line, "eis" means "into" i.e. entry into something, such as the throne room of God.

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did I say Jesus was in the upper room? Nope. So yet another misrepresentation. Here is what I actually said:

Did JOJ answer that question? Nope. But instead he fabricated a flaw and address it. But the point remains valid. If Jesus was in the upper room, certainly a likely place, since scripture tells us of a change in location in the next chapter, did He look at the ceiling and John got it wrong? I think not.

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I apologize. I saw no reason for someone to have an interlinear if they don't know Greek.失礼しました。

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well Sir, some of us lowly least of His, struggle on as best we can. :)

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, it's spring break time here at my college. I finished teaching Greek this morning (the imperative in Mounce's textbook), and the students (who listened well) are mostly gone. I'm grading today's quizzes and will have to make a new one for when they get back, then I'm heading out. My wife and I will leave tomorrow to visit loved ones. Hopefully while we're there I'll be able to get on the Internet and add a verse or two of John 17.

In the meantime, I give up on Van. Don't want to take time anymore to correct his ignorance of the Greek--I think I've done that plenty already, yet he still wants to be a translator. Oh, well, can't win them all. :tongue3: :type:

I'm reminded of the dude who wrote to the United Bible Society and said, "I want to help with some of those Bible translations you're doing. Just send me a dictionary of the language and I'll get started!" After many credits learning and teaching the ancient languages of the Bible, and literally 1000s of hours translating, my patience sometimes wears thin. You understand. :saint:

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well Sir, I will not give up on you. Anyone engaged in full time or nearly full time ministry should be honored.

People who engage in petty bickering, turf wars, and the like should be viewed as people crying for help.
    John 17:
    1. After Jesus spoke these words, and lifted up His vision into heaven, He said, “Father, the hour has come, glorify your Son that your Son may glorify you.”
    2. Even as you gave Him authority over all flesh that He will give eternal life to them you have given to Him.
    3. Moreover, this is eternal life – that they would know the only true God and Jesus Christ, the One you sent.
    4. I glorified you on earth by finishing the work you gave Me to do.
    5. Now Father, glorify Me along side you with the glory I had with you before the world existed.
    6. I revealed your name to the disciples you have given Me out of the world; they were yours, and you have given them to Me. They have carefully kept your word. ​

#73 Van, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
  14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do we lift up our vision to heaven or into heaven?

"I lift up my eyes to you,
    to you whose throne is in heaven.
    As the eyes of slaves look to the hand of their master,
    as the eyes of a maid look to the hand of her mistress,
    so our eyes look to the LORD our God,
    till he shows us his mercy. "

It seems the answer from scripture is into heaven.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 17:7, Now they have known that all things whatever you have given me are from you, (WEB).

In comparing English translations, the verb rendered they have known, is also translated as they know. The verb is in the Perfect Tense, indicating a completed action, i.e. they have learned something in the past, but that knowledge continues in the present, i.e. they knew and still know. Since the idea is a statement of fact, their present knowledge, the choice of "they know" seems best.

Next, again the translations like either all things or everything. I think everything best captures the idea.

Next, the verb "you have given Me" is the choice of all the comparison translations.

The last phrase, "are (is) from you" contains an interesting preposition.
    The word translated as "from" is the Greek "para" and means along side or beside. But the idea of close proximity includes being within the sphere of influence or power or control. Thus Jesus is saying everything He gave them was according to God's will.

Putting it all together we get: Now they know that everything you have given Me is from you.

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    . Because I have given to them the words which You had given Me, and they received and truly understand that I came from You, and they believe that You sent Me. (JOJ)

for the words which you have given me I have given to them, and they received them, and knew for sure that I came from you, and they have believed that you sent me (WEB)

If we accept that verse 7 is a complete sentence, then verse 8 begins a new sentence for the purpose of illustrating why the previous sentence is true. I think “because” better conveys that idea than “for or since.”

I like the phrase order given by JOJ (and the NET) so I have given them the “declarations” you have given me comes next. Note I tied together the “words” found in most if not all comparison translations, for the purpose of bringing to mind the truths of His gospel.

The next phrase, and ”they received them” seems a little weak, so I think “they took hold of them better presents the idea.

Next, I do not think JOJ’s effort can be improved upon, i.e. truly understand that I came from you and they believe you sent Me.

Putting it all together: Because I have given them the declarations you have given Me and they took hold of them and truly understand I came from you and believe you sent Me.

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 17:

1. After Jesus spoke these words, and lifted up His vision into heaven, He said, “Father, the hour has come, glorify your Son that your Son may glorify you.”
    2. Even as you gave Him authority over all flesh that He will give eternal life to them you have given to Him.
    3. Moreover, this is eternal life – that they would know the only true God and Jesus Christ, the One you sent.
    4. I glorified you on earth by finishing the work you gave Me to do.
    5. Now Father, glorify Me along side you with the glory I had with you before the world existed.
    6. I revealed your name to the disciples you have given Me out of the world; they were yours, and you have given them to Me. They have carefully kept your word.
    7. Now they know that everything you have given Me is from you.
    8. Because I have given them the declarations you have given Me and they took hold of them and truly understand I came from you and believe you sent Me.​

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    15. I do not ask that You take them out of the world but that you might protect them from the evil one.
    15 Οὐκ ἐρωτῶ ἵνα ἄρῃς αὐτοὺς ἐκ τοῦ κόσμου, ἀλλ᾽ ἵνα τηρήσῃς αὐτοὺς ἐκ τοῦ πονηροῦ. (Joh 17:15 BYZ)

The first half of the sentence has another hina clause, where hina can be translated simply as “that,” not necessarily with the “core meaning” of “for the purpose of.” The second half of the sentence is also a simple translation. The final adjective “evil” has an article before it, making it the substantival use of the adjective. A more famous example is “Deliver us from evil” (Matt. 6:13), which can also be translated “the evil one.”

There are two subjunctives. I translated the first one without the literal “might” or “may” since the subjunctive meaning in the hina clause is clear from the English syntax, but translated the second one with “might” to bring out the meaning of respect. (Question for students: Have I been influenced too much in my English by Japanese respect language?)

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A quick note on verse 7, in translation transparency (being able to discern the underlying text) seems also to have been a goal of Christ, his words (translation words) are God's words (underlying words inspired by God.)

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 17:9:

9. I ask for them; I do not ask for the world but for those who You have given to Me, because they are Yours. (JOJ)

9. I pray for them. I don’t pray for the world, but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours. (WEB)​

Here as we search for meaning as presented in His inspired words, we have several choices. Are we asking for them or praying for them. Pray seems a stretch but ask seems a little weak. Beseech works well but is a tad archaic. Beg I think goes too far, and entreat again is archaic. So “ask” it is.

Next do we substitute the antecedent (disciples) for the pronoun (them)? I think substitution is best, but would footnote lit. them.

Next we have “world” referring to fallen mankind, but since the meaning (mankind) is clear because of context, we will stick with world.

Next, we will omit “who/whom” as extraneous and possibly diverting from the message.

Finally we have a bit of a conundrum, if the disciples have been given to Jesus, how can they still belong to the Father? I think rather than ownership, the idea is that the Father in giving them commissioned them for His purpose.

Putting it all together: I ask for these disciples, and not for the world, but for these you have given Me, because they are your chosen ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.