1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Statement from the Calvinism Advisory Committee

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, May 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one said anything about sitting and waiting for anyone. That is your misrepresentation. Again it is all your personal preference.

2. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

You're a bitter dude. Go edify the church by separating yourself from all of them.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I walk the streets & I talk to people, the shop keepers, the guys waiting to get picked up to do day labor, the people sitting on their front porches etc. As a boy I actually witnessed a Roman Catholic Priest do that....he would come into our home (We were a struggling family economically, my father had died when I was 12 YO & my older sister was Cerebral Palsy....so my mom could only work sporadically). This RC Priest would come over, sit at the kitchen table over coffee & converse with my mom over what our situation was....and this priest & later the Monsignor always helped. I try to emulate that.

Now I have a brother who is IFB.....I never saw him beat the street.....but maybe he has his own way of doing it.

My two biggest concerns at present is to establish a church that ministers to these folks & also learning Spanish so I can converse with that community in their own language....the Language can be a barrier.

BTW.... I'm a believer in DoG, however I am a Baptist & not a Calvie.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How bout you take a long walk off a short pier.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're a Baptist,but not a Calvinist? The two are not mutually exclusive.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont sprinkle babies & I dont believe in sacraments & I do not subscribe to Covenant theology....but again, Im Credo & DoG. Bottom line, more old school.

7. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

You're bitter. Are your converts also like you? What a "church" that would make. Glad you have one so all the others like you can separate from theirs and join yours and by doing so edify Christ's church.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad to have helped.....have a nice day! :smilewinkgrin:

9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

That doesn't mean you are not a Calvinist.
    A calvinist is one who believes the five points called either calvinism or tbe doctrines of grace .

John MacArthur is a good example of one who is a calvinist but not really reformed.

Also, do you really not believe in sacraments or just don't like the word? My church believes in two sacraments, baptism and tbe Lord's supper. Surely you do as well?

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depends upon which kind of calvinist to a large degree!

As I hold to 5 point calvinism in regards to Sotierology, but also hold that arminians/non cals are just as saveda s i am, as its either the grace of God fully, or good works that save, so ALl sinners come thru Jesus!

I seeit that Dog explains and fits the biblical model best, but other views are viable IF they are not held just because "they are not calvinist!"

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    taht all depends on how lossely one defines calvinist, as if you go by the strictly reformed view, NONE are unless thay hopld to entire system, of Covenant theology, A Mil etc along with Sotierology, my definition is that one holdingt o Sotierology of calvinistic/DoG qualifies as being one, as i see myself same as John MacArthur'leaking Dispy!"

And have noticed a difference between reformed baptists holding to Cal, and baptist holding to cal!

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    most churches would hve some cals, some arms, some non either, some lost, some Kjv, some other versions though!

Would not be ALL anything, but jesus still commands us to keep the unity if at all possible!

13. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the formula for unification of the apostate? There are many given over to strong delusion, believing a lie.

"Pray for them who despitefully use you" but, "Be not unequally yoked to unbelievers."

Christendom is permeated with "Wolves dressed like sheep".

Even so, come Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the prayer to be made for Christians who happen to disagree over doctrines/issues, but jesus death still atoned for them, despite their hang ups on each other?

Think paul and james both told us that we ALL have the same master to give account to , right? that we need to not have that spirit of pride and arogance, like we have 'all truth!"

15. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The prayer: Lord, give us a burden for the lost and uninformed.

We are to be: " Wise as serpents and harmless as doves."

These traits work--even on Mars Hill. The Word does not return void.

We are supposed to be planting seed, not pursuing things which engender strife.

Reprove, rebuke and exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

Let the Holy Spirit convict of sin, righteousness and judgment to come.

Even so, come Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

16. Ed B

Ed B Member

Something tells me John Calvin would roll over in his grave if he knew that through the use of his name, the sum total of his Institutes has been reduced to five points. The Institutes is a huge tome and five points doesn't cover the historic "Calvinism" that John Calvin would agree with.

I highly doubt there is a single true Calvinist posting on this forum. For example, the rules do not allow pedobaptist to post on this forum and I have never read where anyone here agrees with Calvin on co-mingling church and state. I understand why the term is used. Traditionalists object to people using "Doctrines of Grace" to describe those who hold to TULIP, because Traditionalists hold to doctrines of grace too. But I agree with EWF that agreeing with T.U.L.I.P. does not make one a Calvinist. That would badly misrepresent what John Calvin believed.

We have two ordinances. Since we do not believe that baptism or the Lord's Supper confer Grace to the participant, we do not recognize sacraments

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It is a good statement.

It probably will not deter the likes of Eric Hankins and Jerry Vines from vehemently trying to rid the SBC of Calvinism, though.

Their determination to take churches that are neutral on those issues and indoctrinate them against hiring young Calvinist ministers will not likely be swayed by any call for reason and respect.

These fellows would prefer if Spurgeon did not pastor in the SBC.

They literally would rather a neutral SBC church hire an incompetent Arminian pastor than to hire the likes of Charles Haddon Spurgeon.

#57 Luke2427, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2013
  18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was coined in 1562,I think. Calvin did not like the term. It was meant to be a hateful slur.

Actually far from that. If some,or many are that info-deprived it's to their shame.
    It covers a lot more than the Canons of Dort. But for a compact view of basic theology the Canons of Dort would be wonderful for one to study. It doesn't merely consist of 5 points.

Do you believe that Spurgeon,Pink,Broadus,Carroll and others were calvinists? Of course they were! It's shorthand term. Most informed Christians know what it stands for.

Do you agree with the 1689 Confession;otherwise known as the London Confession of Faith?

#58 Rippon, Jun 3, 2013
  19. Ed B

Ed B Member

First, to the original post... I like the tone and substance of the statement.

But unfortunately for most people in Baptist Churches the term Calvinist and Calvinism has been reduced to five points, or worse, simply predestination. That is what I object to.

Concur. It is shorthand and as such is incomplete and it is used because it is convenient and people don't like the look or sound of Zwingli-ist or Zwingli-ism.

Most of it. Would John Calvin be able to sign the 1689 London Confession? I think the answer is no.

#59 Ed B, Jun 3, 2013
  20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bucerist would be more like it. Zwinglist doesn't quite cut it --the pronunciation and the theological bent. Calvin was more Bucerian than anything else. Yes,he was Augustinian and Pauline but...

You're right. But some very good Reformed men of today couldn't sign it either. But they would agree with the vast majority of it. Just as reformed Baptists can agree with the Westminster Confession of Faith for the most part. But the Savoy Declaration comes even closer to our way of understanding. The 1689 was modeled on the WCoF mediated by the Savoy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.