A Subforum For Asking Baptists Questions?

Discussion in 'Member Questions, Feedback & Suggestions' started by Hark, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Hark

Hark
    Expand Collapse

This is just a suggestion.

Since this is a Baptist Board, don't you think you should have a subforum for members that are christians to ask in the Christian only part of the forum to ask Baptists questions?

I do not see anything in here where christians interested in joining a Baptist church or interested about the Baptist church can ask questions.

I think if you had a sub forum for that kind of outreach, it may invite people to join the forum too that may have other questions they want to ask those from the Baptist churches.

"Ask A Baptist" might be a good name as a suggestion for the subforum.

Thanks for considering my suggestion.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hark

Hark
    Expand Collapse

I know that you have "Member Questions, Feedback, & Suggestions" in this section of the forum, but it is more pointed for the outreach part of the forum to draw people in, instead of just being a member asking any question about how to operate in this forum sort of thing.

And maybe the "Ask A Baptist" subforum would be better suited in here so that non-Baptist members are not tempted to reply in this part of the forum when someone is asking a Baptist a question?

3. Darrell C

Darrell C
    Expand Collapse

There are so many different kinds of Baptists that it would likely be more confusion than anything. For example, someone "Asks a Baptist" about the Rapture, and there are three different answers, lol.

A number of Baptists here frequent the "Other Denominations" Board, so there is plenty of opportunity to inquire of them there. I can understand feeling locked out, so to speak, but in large part the debates that carry on in the Baptist Boards are echoed in the OD Board, so it is not really any different.

If we can get a one on one Forum going, those of other denominations will have the opportunity to challenge those who hold distinctives thought to be Baptist to a debate.

God bless.

4. Hark

Hark
    Expand Collapse

Understandable, but if it was conveyed for what "Ask A Baptist" was for and that is for inquiries into the Baptist church in what the Baptist church generally believes in, with an added note from each Baptist replying that one should inquire further into that local baptist church for further information to which denomenational heading that baptist church is under that may make it distinctive from other baptist churches.

Since it is a Baptist Board, having that subforum out there may pop up on somebody's search engine that are looking into a Baptist church to join.

I was also going to suggest "Ask a Christian" for this section of the forum for seekers on the internet that are seeking answers about christianity in general rather than something specific about the Baptist church.

A one on one forum sounds like a good idea.

May God bless you too, brother.

5. Darrell C

Darrell C
    Expand Collapse

Again, Baptists are of so many varying doctrinal positions it is almost impossible to run them under a general header. It gets even worse if we include all fellowships which contain the word "Baptist" in their name. My dad was a member of a "Baptist" church that tried to teach him how to speak in tongues, telling him, "Clear you mind, and whatever pops into your mind...just speak it!" lol

Fellowships with names like "Bible Believing Baptist Church" are usually charismatic or Pentecostal, and the name is primarily a statement of "We are actually Baptists that believe the Bible, unlike regular Baptists."

And while this forum does not host many who are in truth not actually Baptist at all due to their Doctrinal Distinctives (though there are a few), the differences we see in those here are enough to make an "Ask a Baptist" Forum a little difficult.

For the most part, I think it is a good idea, though, but, I do think we would see most questions posed to "A Baptist" turn into squabbles between the differing Baptists, which would not be beneficial for the one asking the question. THey are more likely to leave more confused than they were before asking.

So the general questions forum is probably better, as it can rest ultimately under the authority of the owners/staff of this particular Forum.

And that I think is a great point. That in itself is enough to see such a forum created, lol. Even if there were confusion and dissension in the ranks, it would still draw people to the forum.

Another great suggestion.

Sometimes great discussions are derailed by interruption, and a one on one would allow two of differing views to show they are serious about Theological Debate.

God bless.

6. Hark

Hark
    Expand Collapse

Okay. Yeah, I can confirm that there are some sayings in Presbyterian churches that sounds like Pentecostal and Charismatic talk.

I went to a non-Presbyterian Bible study that held a service like that; Don Reed's Ministry also known as Crossing Paths. He told me to just babble and tongues will come to me eventually on its own. I did it for a while, but then the Lord made me discern that how will I know when His gift of tongues come and not babbling out of habit when it becomes second nature and then thinking this is God's gift of tongues? And so I had stopped babbling.

Don Reed was holding a service where everybody babbled in prayer. That was before the Lord exposed that and everything else as not of Him in 1994 when the "holy laughter" movement broke across the nation as happening in every denomenation; and not just Pentecostal/Charismatic circles. It was happening in Catholic and Protestant churches.

So when you shared that, I can see now, how and why it would happen in the Baptist church; not that it happened in your day's church, but I can see how it could happen in a Baptist church now.

My former church prays for God to send the Holy Spirit into the worship place. It seems a lot of churches believes that God would answer a prayer like that when the Father will only send the promise when someone believes in the Son at the hearing of the gospel and not before.

That kind of opening is just what seducing spirits need to come in and bring signs and wonders like they did in the "holy laughter" movement.

The fruit of the false prophet is being ecumenical in nature, and that is what that "holy laughter" movement is; ecumenical in nature as gathering grapes of thorns and figs of thistles; Matthew 7:15-16

These be trying times in these latter days where faith is hard to find.

I can see how that could be a problem. Yes.

I do believe the wisdom of the staff sees that. Probably why they have not jumped on it.

Yeah. Looks that way.

Maybe the staff are trying to figure out a way to protect those inquiring newcomers. Maybe like a one on one kind of thing like you suggested where one truly Baptist can answers their questions?

The staff probably should appoint someone just to answer those questions too, unless they get confused and scared away too.

If the appointed staff member sees it becoming a debate, then he can refer the seeker whom then turned debater to carry on the question or topic in the other parts of the forum since he should have made his answer known plainly by then.

I think it is great when mods come in and interrupt the debate when it gets emotional and where posters are just attacking each other.

I kind of wish that every poster would adhere to the general rule to address the topic, but do not attack the poster with adjectives towards the poster at all in calling him or her names.

I have a tendency to think that is why people do not join the forums when they see stuff like that. They would be afraid to ask questions or say something they believe in that would just get them labeled for saying so.

If most believers are just in the habit of going to church and believing the simplicity of the gospel, such biting and devouring would make any one shy when they do get a question they would like to ask, but are afraid to.

And so they never grow in Christ that way.

May God bless you too, and anyone seeking the truth in His words.

7. Darrell C

Darrell C
    Expand Collapse

The primary thing to keep in mind concerning the Gifts of the Spirit is...they're not taught, they are received.

It's not that hard to find, lol. Most here have faith, and they stand out in that they express their faith through defense of the Word of God. And while there are some errors involved, we still take into account that we see a zeal for God's Word in most here, and in regards to that, it creates a bond, even though there be dissension.

It's really irrelevant, if you ask me, because some will grow up in fellowships like that and leave. Likewise, for all denominations, we have people who, when they are saved, then begin to learn. As people grow, they have a tendency to form their own views and will then seek a fellowship that matches their views. Charismatics will become Protestant, Protestants will become Charismatic, Catholics become Baptists, lol.

And some will remain true to the fellowship/denomination they were raised in. My grandfather was a member of what is called "The Truth." Some of my cousins remained in that faith. I was saved apart from that group, and when I went to look at their doctrines I was amazed. shocked, really. They deny the Deity of Christ, but other than that, are a very conservative group. They do not teach tithing, they meet in the home, they send out Workers (their missionaries/Ministers) two by two.

I didn't grow up attending that group, but their is the chance if I had I may have embraced their doctrine. I like to think I am the kind of person that does not simply embrace doctrine because it "agrees with what I want to believe," but that my doctrine is a result of proper interpretation. But don't we all, lol.

Yeah. Looks that way.
    [/QUOTE]

Best to give them the benefit of the doubt, I reckon.

But that's the point I have been trying to make: there is no "truly Baptist" person to found, in my view, because of the variance in Distinctives. I think we would have to look to the more historical branches to find that, and I am not that sure anyone here could fit that bill. Perhaps. But would their claim be more valid than someone who disputed their doctrine. In other words, could one Baptist claim a more valid Baptist Faith. I usually attend Independent Fundamental Baptist Churches, which differ greatly from historical Baptists, primarily because many of these are Dispensational in their views, and their Eschatology differs. No other group comes as close to what I view as proper Doctrine than some of these groups, but, they have issues themselves.

Then we consider that often questions are posed for the purpose of confrontation, even among seekers.

So I would be okay with the debate, as this is an accelerated means of growth in my view. When we challenge our own beliefs and those of others, the obvious recourse is to the Word of God we go, right? I owe a great debt of gratitude to my many various antagonists since I found forum discussion, atheists included, who have challenged views I held which neglected certain perspectives of more personal natures. What I mean by that is that when I started debating atheists I viewed them all as morons. I have found out that stupidity is not the only reason one might be an atheist, for example, someone who was once faithful in attendance to a church loses a spouse or child and becomes angry with God. Not to mention we have to consider the indoctrination present in public schools and the media.

I think all of us should keep in mind that emotions are going to arise in Doctrinal Discussion. No-one likes to be told they are wrong, and we all think God has blessed us with the real truth, lol.

I think when we are better able to control our emptions it displays a true faith in the doctrine we hold. That does more for proper conduct (sound doctrine) than anything else I know.

They would if Moderation enforced it. Use to be one could not discuss the Rapture without having to have certain members come in and talk about Darby. It was disruptive among those who wanted to discuss it, and derailed nearly every thread.

Most simply do not want to "argue," and in large part most could not debate Theology if they wanted to. Most simply do not read their Bibles, much less actually study it.

That is just one issue.

I think it is best summed up "Better to keep your mouth shut and look like a fool than to open it and remove all doubt," lol.

That's a key element. I don't think it's a matter of that's what they want, but, I think most think that's just how it is done. It is up to the leadership to encourage and exhort our responsibility to study, such as implied in the rebuke to the Hebrews. That we are not slothful, but diligent.

All Christians can gain discernment through study, but, most will have to be motivated.

And there is of course one truth we cannot forget: ignorance is bliss. We are told, "Be ye not many teachers/masters," and that is a solemn statement. The more we are given, the more responsible we are to be.

I think most grow, but it is a slow growth.

Forum discussion is an accelerated means of growth, because like muscle, growth comes when pressure and resistance are present. In the years I have been on forums, I can think of only two out of the countless number of people I have encouraged to get involved who did.

We stand apart from the general Body in that respect.

God bless.

8. Santha

Santha
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

Best to give them the benefit of the doubt, I reckon.

But that's the point I have been trying to make: there is no "truly Baptist" person to found, in my view, because of the variance in Distinctives. I think we would have to look to the more historical branches to find that, and I am not that sure anyone here could fit that bill. Perhaps. But would their claim be more valid than someone who disputed their doctrine. In other words, could one Baptist claim a more valid Baptist Faith. I usually attend Independent Fundamental Baptist Churches, which differ greatly from historical Baptists, primarily because many of these are Dispensational in their views, and their Eschatology differs. No other group comes as close to what I view as proper Doctrine than some of these groups, but, they have issues themselves.

Then we consider that often questions are posed for the purpose of confrontation, even among seekers.

So I would be okay with the debate, as this is an accelerated means of growth in my view. When we challenge our own beliefs and those of others, the obvious recourse is to the Word of God we go, right? I owe a great debt of gratitude to my many various antagonists since I found forum discussion, atheists included, who have challenged views I held which neglected certain perspectives of more personal natures. What I mean by that is that when I started debating atheists I viewed them all as morons. I have found out that stupidity is not the only reason one might be an atheist, for example, someone who was once faithful in attendance to a church loses a spouse or child and becomes angry with God. Not to mention we have to consider the indoctrination present in public schools and the media.

I think all of us should keep in mind that emotions are going to arise in Doctrinal Discussion. No-one likes to be told they are wrong, and we all think God has blessed us with the real truth, lol.

I think when we are better able to control our emptions it displays a true faith in the doctrine we hold. That does more for proper conduct (sound doctrine) than anything else I know.

They would if Moderation enforced it. Use to be one could not discuss the Rapture without having to have certain members come in and talk about Darby. It was disruptive among those who wanted to discuss it, and derailed nearly every thread.

Most simply do not want to "argue," and in large part most could not debate Theology if they wanted to. Most simply do not read their Bibles, much less actually study it.

That is just one issue.

I think it is best summed up "Better to keep your mouth shut and look like a fool than to open it and remove all doubt," lol.

That's a key element. I don't think it's a matter of that's what they want, but, I think most think that's just how it is done. It is up to the leadership to encourage and exhort our responsibility to study, such as implied in the rebuke to the Hebrews. That we are not slothful, but diligent.

All Christians can gain discernment through study, but, most will have to be motivated.

And there is of course one truth we cannot forget: ignorance is bliss. We are told, "Be ye not many teachers/masters," and that is a solemn statement. The more we are given, the more responsible we are to be.

I think most grow, but it is a slow growth.

Forum discussion is an accelerated means of growth, because like muscle, growth comes when pressure and resistance are present. In the years I have been on forums, I can think of only two out of the countless number of people I have encouraged to get involved who did.

We stand apart from the general Body in that respect.

God bless.[/QUOTE]
    I think its a great idea - either Ask a Baptist or Ask a Christian.
    Which will be open for people who wants to come to faith but have questions or reservations.
    Even if one person comes to faith through this board, I will be extremely happy and I am sure we will all be.I will look into the logistics.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

A variation of the old Yiddish proverb:

Ask three Baptists a question and you'll get four answers.

From the spectrum I've seen represented on the Board, you'll get at least :
    • Primitive Baptist
    • Old Regular Baptist
    • Moderate Southern Baptist
    • Conservative Southern Baptist
    • Independent Fundamental Baptist (with Southern BC roots)
    • Independent Fundamental Baptist (with Northern BC roots)
    answers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Darrell C

Darrell C
    Expand Collapse

Hilarious, lol.

But you are actually forgetting at least one group that claims to be Baptist, which would those of Charismatic beliefs who take for themselves the name Baptist.

So perhaps we might get four answers and an interpretation?

;)

God bless.

11. Hark

Hark
    Expand Collapse

Do Baptist that differ would consider the other real Baptists or not?

I am not understanding why the segregation is necessary with "Baptists Only" from "All Christians".

A christian could be one of those differing Baptist in principle, but not an actual member. Would he or she not be Baptist in spirit?

12. Hark

Hark
    Expand Collapse

If that be the case, why the segregation of Baptists only from all christians in these subforums?

It's kind of hard when there is a segregation in the forums. "Baptists" cannot sharpen as iron sharpens irons when they do not get involved as much as in the other parts of the forums of all christians if they mostly stick to the Baptists only part of the forum.

I know that you said some changes were coming, but is there any update to that? Thanks in advance.

13. Darrell C

Darrell C
    Expand Collapse

It is just a basic principle in Church Discipline that we (Christians) maintain pure doctrine, and not allow those who carry other doctrine or another Gospel into our midst. While Baptists are fragmented on a number of issues, there is a difference between those issues and one like ecstatic speech, Baptismal Regeneration, salvation that is works based, et cetera.

Having visited many forums, I can tell you that when there is no restraint the result is chaos and those who teach false doctrine on many of these forums gain a platform to corrupt those who are young in the faith.

"Segregation," as you put it, is not really in view. You have the option of converting, whereas true segregation does not allow for that, lol.

God bless.

14. tyndale1946

tyndale1946
    Expand Collapse

I do not feel there needs to be a sub forum Ask A Baptist... I am from The Primitive Baptist brethren a faction of the Baptist Squire mentioned... You don't have to start a sub forum to meet one or ask them questions... I would say and the moderator of that forum Squire can correct me if I'm wrong but I would say that the greatest percent of the Calvinist/Arminian Forum are made up of Baptist... I know quite a few myself included... It is also in The Christian Debate Forum so you do not need to go into the Baptist Forum to get your answer... You can always start a private conversation if you want to go in depth with a brother or a group to get your question answered... Hope this helps!... Brother Glen

15. tyndale1946

tyndale1946
    Expand Collapse

16. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

What he said

17. tyndale1946

tyndale1946
    Expand Collapse

I felt if I posted this suggestion it would solve the problem!... Thank for your support Squire!... Brother Glen

18. Darrell C

Darrell C
    Expand Collapse

The suggestion was made because a member felt, I believe, segregated because he could not travel the Baptist Boards. I think this was suggested for the purpose of Other Denominations having direct access to Baptists, which has been explained is a varied collection of differing views on a number of issues, which in my view makes it problematic.

God bless.

19. tyndale1946

tyndale1946
    Expand Collapse

I understand the members concern but I feel being on this board as long as I have it would just cause problems... There are many Baptist on the Calvinist/Arminian Forum and you know and I know he will get more than he can handle... There are freewill Baptist and Sovereign Grace Baptist and those in between and willing to hear what he has to say... He can even start a thread cause I see where he is he's started a few... I will send him an invitation lets see if Hark shows up?... Brother Glen

• Like Like x 1
  20. tyndale1946

tyndale1946
    Expand Collapse

I sent him an invite... We will wait and see!... Brother Glen