1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A systematic for worship - Prescriptive Psalmody

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by jdlongmire, Aug 2, 2008.

1. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

I started a blog to continue fleshing out some thoughts around the principle, which basically states that the NT church should look to the Psalms as our authoritative guide to worship in spirit and truth.

Constructive discussion appreciated :).

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't agree with several of conclusions and statements, but I am delighted that at last someone is looking to the Scriptures to define a worship that "is in spirit and in truth." :thumbs:

Most of the time folks say it's whatever "feels" right.

3. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

Thanks! Can\will you elaborate a bit on: "I don't agree with several of conclusions and statements"?

Not trying to set you up or anything, just interested in "testing everything" - particularly my own thinking :)...

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. It looks as if others have brought thoughts like mine to the discussions on other boards.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You may be interested in the work of Suzanne Haik-Vantoura, whose work deciphering the te-amim of the Masoretic Texts is noteworthy (no pun intended).

Beginning with the premise that the marks are primarily musical and secondarily exegetical, she developed a key that when consistently applied produces beautiful liturgical music.

She believes the school in Tiberius preserved the "true tradition." In otherwords, she believes the Masoretic texts contain the original melodies of David and other psalmists.

I can't go that far with her, however, there's no doubt in my mind she has decoded an ancient notation. You can sample some of the melodies of the Psalms here: http://www.cgmusic.com/library/musicofthebible.htm

6. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

Excellent, thanks!

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Might be a refreshing break from the C vs A debates.

8. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Excellent! Let's talk about this for a while. This could be an interesting discussion. For the record, I will admit to my lack of education on this subject - so I'm on the sidelines (so to speak), but will pay close attention.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist