1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Thorough Review of the Bush - Iran Situation

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Jul 2, 2006.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anybody besides me ever get tired of anonymous sources?

senior commanders,
    the officers,
    a high-ranking general,
    The high-ranking general,
    a Pentagon consultant said
    The senior officers in the Pentagon,
    A former senior intelligence official told me,
    A senior military official told me,
    the former senior intelligence official said,
    A retired four-star general who ran a major command, said,
    The senior military official said that,
    an Iran expert who advises the U.S. government told me,
    a Pentagon adviser on counter-insurgency told me,
    A retired American diplomat,
    the former senior intelligence official told me,
    the former official added. ,
    A former Bush Administration official described,
    the former official said,
    the Pentagon consultant said,
    the Pentagon consultant told me,
    the former senior intelligence official said,

That's not all. I just got tired, almost as tired as I am of "expert", "former", and "senior" experts without names.

I don't think I've ever seen an article so packed with 'em.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's the only way to find out about what is going on in the guts of Leviathan, carpro.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not when most of them are "former" or "retired" somethings.

Using so many anonymous sources leaves a dishonest reporter with an opportunity to make the truth whatever he likes.

I could do it and so could you.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's better than nothing, carpro. I doubt that you enjoy being in the dark about the machinations of Leviathan any more than I do.

6. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Having a background in journalism I think the article is very weak, especiallly when it comes to sources.

If you cannot name t least majority of your sources, then you might as well not write the story. If someone is "retired" and won't say anything, watch out--your probably dealing with someone who was a disgruntled employee anyway.

Good post Carpro:thumbs:

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Accusations and claims of wrong doing are cheap and easy. Anyone can make one in any situation. Any person with any agenda can speak a few words and bam a mans life is put into turmoil. When did it become right to face being accused without being able to see our accuser. Does that seem right.

If the press is going to make charges that have no witnesses then they should have some sort of accountability so that innocent peoples lives are not unjustly put into turmoil. and just because the press says it doesnt give it credibility as we learned with the Rather debocle.

Our press in this country should be ashamed they have lost all dignity and credibility. And charges without a witness should be disregarded.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I must admit that the press generally has no more credibility than the government does.

9. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

You are absolutely correct. There is another item tht causes problems. Liable and slander laws are pretty much worthless if the person being liabled is a "popular" or "well known" person.

In reality, they do work, but not nearly as easily as you are I would have. Several stars have sued Enquirer and other magazines and have won, but it is a difficult thing to fight if you are popular.

I know we should have freedom of speech, but I also think newspapers that print negative issues about a person should be required to name their sources or at least have some checks and balances that are not in place now. Right now, they pretty much have a free ticket to say almost anything they wish.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And may it always be so when it comes to reporting on the machinations of the government. :thumbs:

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not defending the government and the wrongs it does at times. But a person who hasnt the courage to stand up and confront those they are accusing ought not open their mouth.

The press ought not be able to keep sources confidential. That I think would produec some restraint that is needed.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We need restraint on the government, not on the press.

The 1st amendment was placed there for a reason. And with the machinations of the Bush administration we should all thank God that it is there and that we still have a free press in this country.

The free press may be all that stands between us having what is still left of our constitutional republic and its being turned into a fascist dictatorship.

We need more reporters doing work like Seymour Hersh, not less.

"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." — George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000(was he joking????).

#12 KenH, Jul 2, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2006
  13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

For once I agree with Rev Mitchell. Dont get me wrong. Even though I voted twice for the guy, I wouldnt do it a third time if he could run, and will not vote for a Bush like candidate. The leadership is lacking in the white house and congress. Republicans have both. On the other hand, we have two years left of this government, and we should pray that they guide us with God's help through the situations in Iran, Korea, and Iraq. It serves no purpose to criticize just to tear someone down. If criticizing could help solve the problem, or bring our troops home sooner, I would be for it. But, division now, especially since the election is two years away, only makes the President's job harder. I sure couldnt do it. We should pray for Mr. Bush.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having the press produce sources does not inhibit the freedom of the press. The press is full of fallable men and women just as the government is. They also need some checks and balances to protect us from them. The constitution does not guarantee the press to be able to keep its sources confidential. The press is and can be just as evil as government.

15. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Carpro

I have read commentaries full of the same kind of commentary. "Scholars say that . . . " I think to myself, "So what! What does God's Word say?"

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Ken

For the record . . . the First Amendment is the result of Baptist politics (preachers) placing preasure upon the early goverment to afford preachers of the Word protection from Government sponsored Church attacking believers.

17. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Evidence? Sources?

18. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, if a lie, an exaggeration, or a half truth is all you can get, treat it like the truth?

I disagree. It is definitely worse than nothing.

The really bad part is that all this conjecture is considered "News and current events".

#18 carpro, Jul 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2006
  19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bringing to light to the American people the discussions within the Bush administration is not criticism.

The press did an awful job in the lead up to the invasion of Iraq that has resulted in the quagmire our troops are now in.

[​IMG]

I am grateful that the press is doing a better job of keeping us informed about the Bush - Iran situation.

20. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Hersh is a renown investigative journalist. Carpro is right that the story has an awful lot of anonymous sources, but for what it's worth, the New Yorker has a stellar reputation for fact checking. It's possible that it'll be burned on this one, but it has been a creditable source.

Hersh could be wrong, but he doesn't make things up. You don't have to believe him - just keep in mind what he wrote as the events unfold.

I'm not sure why some of you all discount sources who are retired - sometimes they are the best analysts, having the background knowledge but not being caught up in the day to day minutia.

#20 Daisy, Jul 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2006