1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Time to Dance

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by ktn4eg, Apr 6, 2012.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's OK - you can join me. I think I win for the most infractions today. We'll have an infraction party!!

But seriously, if anyone saw me dancing, there is no way in this world they would think it was anything sexual. A middle aged, overweight, uncoordinated woman? Nope. It just might give the opposite impression. ;)

2. Mark_13

Mark_13 New Member

Unbelievable. I make a couple of lighthearted comments on the subject and it engenders wrath. Stay in your little fundamental enclave and do what you want, I don't care.

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The subtext is loud and clear.

And so far the only witness we have of dancing in church is your imagination.

4. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

By "church", do you mean the building or the Biblical organism? I see the same command against "dancing" before God when we gather as the command against using musical instruments. I prefer to not force a "law" into Scripture that is not specifically delineated within the actual text. Your rule may sound good to you, but that does not make it Biblical. I lean toward spiritual freedom in the New Covenant, not spiritual bondage to man-made law.

My daughter participated in an interpretive dance at her church Easter morning. I know her heart in that it was meant purely as an act of worship in honor of Christ. I refuse to stand in the place of Michal or of Satan in becoming an accuser of the brethren by condemning another's sincere worship of Christ. No, I will not foolishly, Pharisaically judge other believers in their worship of Christ. I do not dance as a part of my worship, but my behaviors are not the standard by which God judges His children.

#44 michael-acts17:11, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2012
  5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Aaron thinks that anything like this is terrible and has told me that numerous times. :)

But I think that's great that your daughter did that!! My girls do worship dance (it's with tambourines and really great worship) and two of my kids did a stick drama to music on Easter morning that was amazing. To see the younger kids worship the Lord - wow!! Did you get your daughter on video? I'd love to see if you have it!! You can PM it to me if you'd rather not put it online and I'll show you some of what we've done if you'd like. I'm not sure my daughter got the most recent video up just yet.

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I am far from being in a 'fundamental enclave'. Forgive me for missing the smiley face in your comments.

7. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dancing happened during the feasts. Moses' sister led the Israelite women in dance, as well, I believe.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I never ceased to be amazed how others view sin. The fat slob at a pot luck stuffing his face with food and gossiping about a brother or sister in Christ because they danced is the classic.

To put it nicely and in a Christian manner, those who consider dancing a sin are theologically challanged.

9. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I went back through the thread, just to make sure; Aaron has set up a straw man argument.

The OP asked, is there a time to dance? Aaron's response, starting on page 3, centers around dancing in the temple or the synagogue, and focuses on the times that the people came together to hear the reading of the law. Up to that point, no one had mentioned dancing in church.

First, worship is not limited to the time(s) the people came together to hear the law, and the scriptures. Worship, as exemplified by David, and which we should do, is an "all the time, anywhere" kind of thing.

Second, the OP asked when is there a time to dance; so Aaron skirts the OP by answering when you should not.

Yes, I'm an independent fundamental baptist; but a long time ago I saw the passage that said David, a man after God's own heart, leaped and shouted and otherwise embarrassed his wife in total recognition of the mighty works that God had done. (so those of you that keep talking about how badly you dance, just remember: David's "embarrassing" dancing was recorded in scripture, so you can't really use that as an excuse!)

I can find fault in "dirty dancing," or dancing for the reason of finding someone to hook up with; but I can find no fault in dancing for worship of Him, nor in celebration of those things that God has given us (e.g., a spouse).

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Many on this board would have made excellent Pharisees. Notice no names were mentioned.

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Good tap dance!:tongue3::laugh:

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Puh-leeze. As a former charismatic I've been in services that would curl your toes. I have never used the word terrible. I've said it's unscriptural and unspiritual, but I've never used the word terrible.

Quit projecting.

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really? The topic is A Time to Dance. Let me rephrase, is worship (as in the Temple or the synagogues or the formal gatherings of the early church) a time to dance?

Scripture and example, please.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Not projecting - just summarizing. Notice there are no quotes. :)

You saying that you are a former charismatic puts some light on the subject. I've seen many who were in one extreme tend to run to the other when they leave it. That's fine. It's your choice - no skin off my back. Just don't come to my church when we have a dance or drama and I won't try to bring it to your church. :thumbsup:

15. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you now changing the subject of the opening post? Or adding an additional discussion line to the opening post?