1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Very Unsettling and Unnecessary Accident

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Benjamin, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The #1 rule regarding firearm safety that I was taught at a young age from my father and God help me if I was seen doing otherwise, is that there are ABSOLUTELY NO exceptions or excuses to leave room for ANY mistakes in NOT following the safety guidelines that you: “NEVER –> EVER!!! - point a gun at someone under ANY circumstances unless you willing to take their life!!!”

So sad that the importance of this #1 rule is not more respected and strictly followed.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The guy violated several gun rules.

1. Treat EVERY gun as loaded!
    2. Handle with care!
    3. Identify your target!
    4. Never point a gun at anything/one you are not willing to destroy/kill!
    5. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot!

Guns don't just "go off." The guy violated every one of the rules of gun safety. It is sad that this very important lesson cost his son's life. He should have learned, and practiced, these rules prior to having a firearm in his possession.

3. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like the other way of putting it, and yes, so sad and true; and on another note I guess what also makes me take pause is that:

I am reminded of and would admit that at one time I was pretty angry and hurt about “my lesson” but there is some ever-growing comfort and appreciation to be found in the realization of what could be the consequences of not learning it.

Things like what happened to that family prompts one to reflect back again and reconsider the amount of grace and forgiveness he is giving from his heart and to meditate on and be thankful for seeing yet even deeper meanings and blessings to be found God’s Wise Words of instruction pertaining to the matter:

Pro 13:1 A wise son heareth his father's instruction: but a scorner heareth not rebuke.

Pro 15:5 A fool despiseth his father's instruction: but he that regardeth reproof is prudent.

#3 Benjamin, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2012
  4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Wow. So sad. WHY was his finger on the trigger??????? I just don't comprehend that.

5. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

What an idiot, why was he given a gun license!!!

6. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no requirement in Pennsylvania to license a handgun. The carry license in Pennsylvania is "shall issue." If the person is not a convicted felon, has not been convicted of domestic violence, and has not been adjudicated as being mentally ill, the license to carry concealed must be granted by the issuing authority.

The US Constitution states that "the right to keep (own) and bear (carry) arms (firearms) shall not be infringed."

Most Americans take their civil rights very seriously. :)

7. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Absolutely.

8. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

We've been out shooting today. The boys checked their guns to be certain they were unloaded outside and then they checked them again, in front of me, as they came in the door. They don't even argue about the second check. Better safe than sorry.

This is soooo sad.

9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good for you! That is good parenting. I bought a new gun from a local sports franchise Tuesday. After the clerk behind the counter cleared the firearm he put the empty magazine back in and handed it to me. I pulled the slide back, ejected the magazine, checked that the magazine was unloaded, put my little finger into the receiver to make sure there was no bullet in the chamber, then put the magazine back in and dropped the slide. The clerk just looked at me funny and said, "I already checked it." I said, "know, but you don't mind if I double check, do you?" He grinned and said, "I wish all my customers were that careful!"

I got my first gun, a Ruger Single Six in .22lr, in 1954. I have been shooting ever since. I was a pistol instructor in the Army, and later in Law Enforcement (I was a pistol instructor at the Police Range/Academy). I am now an NRA pistol instructor and Range Safety Officer and a member of a gun club here in southeast Texas. I have a License to Carry Concealed and carry every day. I never leave the house without my pistol. But, the day I think I am so experienced that I no longer have to follow the rules is the day I get rid of all my guns! :)

10. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting that if a person was to strictly keep even just one rule of the T.H.I.N.K such an accident could not have happened and also all 5 rules must be must be broken for the accident to happen, (on second thought, not quite I guess, similar issue as with with my rule but in reverse) also another exception could be dependent on how one interprets "handle with care" I suppose.

I've always figured my #1 rule as top priority which eccentially takes the others under consideration and covers for them but of course not in disregard of those other prudent safety guidlines to be followed.

I guess I like the way mine gets the point across and is a solid way to avoid accidently shooting someone if strictly observed but there is an exception in that if not keeping your finger off the trigger you could still accidently fire the gun and go through a wall or bounce off something and hit someone you had no idea the projection was aimed at, although that is my #2 rule. I could see someone making the case that 5 solid rules strictly maintained is better that counting on holding one before the other, although I don't personally disregard #2 by any means I wouldn't want anyone else to think #1 was enough.

Then again, LOL, it seems there could a lot of variation in how one would keep the 5 rules as far as priority goes. for example you could start with "T" but it that would have to include especially "N" and be closely followed by "K" anyway, just like my order. THINK is a catchy way to over all the rules though and easy to remember.

#10 Benjamin, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2012
  11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly ann. I carry regularly. But I do not chamber a round. And I never place my finger on the trigger.

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

When I was around 14 my buddy and I were chasing a wild pig we shot, my shotgun got tangled in a vine and discharged, blew a large hole in the ground inbetween me and my friend. I can still see the smoke rising from that hole.

That really upset me, I almost killed my best friend. About a week later I traded my shotgun to a neighbor for a surfboard and have never owned a gun since.

I've got nothing against guns or private ownership, but not for me. Especially around children.

13. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I got rid of 3 guns (357 S&W, Glock 17, and Baretta 9mm) because I was afraid that somehow my young son who managed to get his hands on one in my presence from the back of an ATV compartment while my back was turned, and thinking that him following in his dad’s footsteps would find a way to get into them no matter what precautions I took, by abruptly selling them way underpriced to a neighbor gun collector but later regretted it thinking strict compliance with a safe that only I knew the combination to until he grew up would suffice, unfortunately my “neighbor” would not sell them back. :(

P.S. the Glock was new and soon thereafter they were deemed illegal to make and the price tripled, the 357 was also new and came through a trade for a $1500 dog with a cop who had it machined and with pearl handles but decided he preferred the dog and another gun, and the Beretta was was one of the only things I ever had from my dad. I sold then for $450. :( I just wanted them gone and nothing else was important at the time.

#13 Benjamin, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2012
  14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My father was a cop and retired after 40 years. He still has his gun. I've seen it but never touched it. He taught us to respect it and leave it alone. I never EVER had a desire to go to his closet, get the gun case (locked) and try to open it. Again, he just taught us to respect it by not leaving it out for us and letting us know in no uncertain terms that it is off limits. He never handled it in front of us. I only saw it in his holster.

15. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's because you're a girl.

:smilewinkgrin:

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

:tonofbricks:

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good man! Ive also seen 3 separate instances where people become depressed & then use the firearm as a weapon. One guy put the rifle to his wifes head, another put one in his mouth & a round through his skull & lastly one took up a position on a ledge & proceeded to shoot 5 bystanders to death before putting a round through his brain.

Eventually I gave up my firearms (gave them to my nephew) & I fish although I still enjoy some some upland & cornfield bird hunting....then I borrow the shotgun. I am toying with getting a single shot 20 Gage.....thats sporting. That way you make the 1st shot count & single shots are relatively cheap & safe.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Way more than a girl......:thumbs:

19. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note, I wisely (being a man well-schooled in the arts of how to "carefully" ;) talk to a woman) left out the "assumed" :saint: word “just”. The remark then was better taken as a reference to the natural tendencies of things. :cool:

#19 Benjamin, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2012